Blog Comments

Well looks like good news, the trailer goes in today to the dealer to have new axles and springs put on under warranty. Will post more details once I know more about the new ones.

If this all goes through without too much issue they will likely have a fan/customer for life.
    I have the 2150RB Imagine and a 2014 GMC Yukon Denali with a sway/weight distribution hitch and I tow trailer just fine:-)
    Ugh! So confusing....why can’t I he auto industry just state that you can’t pull above a certain weight without the customers having to do all this math!? ��
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger
    And ten there are the P rated tires.
    Yep, you got that right. Another issue. LT tires are going to weigh more than the passenger tires but hopefully there will be a positive net benefit combination somewhere.
    And ten there are the P rated tires.
    Another thank you for a great post. I wish I had read it before I got my new RAM 1500 Big Horn. I have the same issue here, 1040# gross payload before passengers & cargo. 640# after passengers, no cargo and WDH. I am considering removing the sidesteps during camping season, moving the truck spare to the TT and looking for a lighter tire/wheel combination. If I understand it correctly the 20" tire and chrome clad aluminum wheel combination that the truck came with ate into my payload by 23# per wheel. If that is true, I will be switching out to something better.
    Chalk it up to marketing, they got another one, hook line and sinker. Trade it on a real truck, after you do your homework first.
    Outdoorsman - So, the truck sitting more-or-less level hooked to the Imagine (in the picture) does not currently have a weight distributing hitch? Despite all the number crunching, if it pulls well and brakes well, I think you are good to go once you get your new hitch figured out.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald
    We picked up the trailer yesterday and with a Sherline scale tongue weight of around 690 (700 lbs) and a Centerline TS WDH, it towed like a dream. No hint of being "overloaded" ... yet! Lol (Still have to load it up and load up the family, then we will see).

However one interesting point brought up over at the Ram forums was axle ratings vs GVWR. Here is a copy of the table from the post someone made (GVWR on sticker, Axles and then total Axle capacity):

Toyota 7,200 4,000 4,150 8,150
    GM. 7,200. 3,950 3,950 7,900
    Ram. 6,950. 3,900 3,900 7,800
    Ford. 7,000. 3,600 3,800 7,400
    Nissan 7,100. 3,500 3,800 7,300

As you can see only Ram and Toyota really "de-rate" the GVWR but Nissan is very close to the max axle. Interesting info.

So with my truck:

3900 lbs Steering
    3900 lbs Drive
    7800 lbs Max total on axles
    5880 lbs Wet Curb Weight

Leaves 2000lbs of capacity before exceeding the axle ratings.

Now this doesn't take into account all the other factors but does at least make me feel a little better on my investment. I'm hoping once I get her all setup and loaded then then take her to a scale I'll be within specs.

Cheers!
    Tim
    Thanks for the great post! I was bummed reading my payload capacity for the Ram 1500. Good thing we don’t usually travel too far. We got the 2800BH as well. I still need to buy a WD hitch. I towed it the short drive home without one. I have until spring to decide on one I guess.
    We picked up the trailer yesterday and with a Sherline scale tongue weight of around 690 (700 lbs) and a Centerline TS WDH, it towed like a dream. No hint of being "overloaded" ... yet! Lol (Still have to load it up and load up the family, then we will see).

However one interesting point brought up over at the Ram forums was axle ratings vs GVWR. Here is a copy of the table from the post someone made (GVWR on sticker, Axles and then total Axle capacity):

Toyota 7,200 4,000 4,150 8,150
    GM. 7,200. 3,950 3,950 7,900
    Ram. 6,950. 3,900 3,900 7,800
    Ford. 7,000. 3,600 3,800 7,400
    Nissan 7,100. 3,500 3,800 7,300

As you can see only Ram and Toyota really "de-rate" the GVWR but Nissan is very close to the max axle. Interesting info.

So with my truck:

3900 lbs Steering
    3900 lbs Drive
    7800 lbs Max total on axles
    5880 lbs Wet Curb Weight

Leaves 2000lbs of capacity before exceeding the axle ratings.

Now this doesn't take into account all the other factors but does at least make me feel a little better on my investment. I'm hoping once I get her all setup and loaded then then take her to a scale I'll be within specs.

Cheers!
    Tim
    Excellent! I'm sure this will help someone choose the correct tow vehicle without having to compromise or buy a second truck.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Great detail Tim . . . thanks for taking the time to write this up.
    Most appreciated!

Rob
    What a comprehensive write up Tim. This should be mandatory reading for everyone matching a tow vehicle to a trailer.

Jim

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.