Dave and Monica

Hello from the Yoop!

Rate this Entry
We arrived at Fort Wilkins State Park in the Keweenaw Penisula in the U.P. in Michigan on Tuesday. It was a good travel day from Ely, MN though slow as mostly it was 2 lane roads through many small towns. We decided to stock up at a Walmart Supercenter but that put us in the campground at 9 pm in the dark manuevering into a tight campsite with a couple of flashlights...it weren’t pretty to watch or listen to!

This area is very scenic...Lake Superior shoreline and the fall colors...also some lighthouses to check out. The Copper Harbour area has extensive mountain biking trails...I’ll have to try some of the tamer ones. The state park also has wifi connection at the washrooms so I should be able to check in more often.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yoop?? I see what you did there.

Great pics! Am curious how you plan and pick your destinations/campgrounds.
    You seem to be on a roll with great sites.
    We do lots of searching on the web...have even used Google Earth to view campsites at new campgrounds...it also gives us some idea of area sights with the posted photos.

Dave
    Great photos Dave, beautiful area! We will have to put the UP of Michigan on our travel list.

When you said you have wifi in the washroom, Robin Williams comes to mind in RV when he was sitting on the toilet with his laptop

Steve
    Dave - that's the U.P.! People that live that are called Yoopers We camped at McClain State Park last year - found much more big rig friendly and scenic that Fort Wilkins - may want to check it out! Muskallonge Lake (North of Newberry) is another nice park. We just got done with our U.P. trip on Saturday - we just stayed at the Straights State Park for the week and took excursion trips from St. Ignance. There are a LOT of nice parks in the U.P. and a LOT of nice scenery - I could give you two weeks worth of places to check out. Enjoy!
    This area looks beautiful will have to start planning a trip to that area for next year. I love lighthouses and that one looks lovely.
    We'll be up there next week, I assume fall colors are peaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude
    We'll be up there next week, I assume fall colors are peaking.
    Fall colors are at their peak now...still lots of birches that haven't changed color yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralMichBo
    Dave - that's the U.P.! People that live that are called Yoopers We camped at McClain State Park last year - found much more big rig friendly and scenic that Fort Wilkins - may want to check it out! Muskallonge Lake (North of Newberry) is another nice park. We just got done with our U.P. trip on Saturday - we just stayed at the Straights State Park for the week and took excursion trips from St. Ignance. There are a LOT of nice parks in the U.P. and a LOT of nice scenery - I could give you two weeks worth of places to check out. Enjoy!
    We're planning a day trip to check out McClain SP while we're near. Our next stop is Tahquamenon Falls for the last 2 weeks of Oct...we'll check out Muskallonge Lake while we're there. We're already thinking about the U.P. again for next fall!
    There is so much for you to do up there Dave! Especially with your kayak. The drive from Munising to Grand Maris along Picture Rocks looks very beautiful - not sure if you would want to take your trailer down it - didn't go far enough - we started at Grand Maris and went West to the falls and then ran out of time. We always stayed at Tahquamenon River mouth - usually less people and more "rustic" but the whole area is nice. Enjoy - hope you don't get wet! Raining cats and dogs down here today in Troll Land (people living under the bridge)

The UP is one of our favorites. You picked a great time to be there. The best is the Porkies on that end of the UP. While you are wondering the Keewenau there is a nice spot called Point Abbay just outside of Baraga. Not sure on the spelling. Has more great views of the Superior shoreline and some nice photo ops.
    Keep on enjoying!

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.