CaptPicardo

Connectivity, wifi, internet and starlink

Rate this Entry
My life and blood on the road in internet connectivity, it's my full time job and we've tried many solutions...wanted to share few of those experiences with you all:
- Weboost is snake oil, it is fakery, doesn't work in any condition, don't pay for this garbage.
- WifiCampPro - this does work in some circumstances but if your upstream internet is crap, so will yours be
- Cellular - TMobile has been our best connector nationally, relative to Verizon and ATT. Verizon has been mostly good but less coverage than TMobile, especially for 5G. ATT, we mostly hate you, but sometimes, sometimes, you are okay.
- Starlink - first find you an address area, when this works it's mostly amazing, I can stream on 5 devices, but MS teams rejects the occasional latency (it can go from 20ms to 2000ms instantly)\
- Camp wifi - almost always crappy but with the amplifier it sometimes works. We are in a gig fiber park currently and it's still crap...max latency, drops every 20 seconds, etc
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I forgot to mention a few other options - Chevy/GM offers unlimited internet via onstar which I've used for conference calls and it works pretty well assuming you have good verizon signal. Setting outside of Starbucks or inside some 2-buck chucks deli may work....and lastly, both McDonalds and Arby's have great wifi if you have one nearby.
    @CaptPicardo Good info Capt, thank you. I also require good connectivity to do my job, and as a new RV'er, have so far just relied on my Verizon phone's hotspot. It's quite capable (at least in my area), but once I meet my monthly high speed limit, slows to a crawl until my billing cycle renews. I am therefore curious what you do. You cite performance for all the major carriers, so do you have an account and associated standalone hotspot from all of them, and use whatever works best in a given location? That actually doesn't sound too crazy to me as it is all tax deductible and provides the best chance of having good comms. Thanks in advance if you can provide additional info ...
    Updated 10-25-2021 at 08:00 AM by KY Gentleman Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Gentleman Farmer
    @CaptPicardo Good info Capt, thank you. I also require good connectivity to do my job, and as a new RV'er, have so far just relied on my Verizon phone's hotspot. It's quite capable (at least in my area), but once I meet my monthly high speed limit, slows to a crawl until my billing cycle renews. I am therefore curious what you do. You cite performance for all the major carriers, so do you have an account and associated standalone hotspot from all of them, and use whatever works best in a given location? That actually doesn't sound too crazy to me as it is all tax deductible and provides the best chance of having good comms. Thanks in advance if you can provide additional info ...
    That's correct KY Gentleman, we have Tmobile 5G phone/hotspot 40GB plan, Verizon mobile phone hostspot 15GB, a Verizon Mifi with 20GB and an ATT phone that we've not yet made into a hotspot (since ATT coverage has been the worst of the 3). We also use a Wifi amplifier, cellular amplifier and StarLink (depending on the location). I work as a large-program technology delivery lead, currently serving an automotive client based in Detroit, and I'm based all over the US (we relocate every 1-3 weeks typically). Hope connectivity works out for you!
    Updated 10-31-2021 at 07:57 PM by CaptPicardo

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.