dloase

Giving back to the community

Rate this Entry
As many of you know, I take a week each summer and give back to my community through a local organization called Helping Hands. This year was no different. For the past week I and a couple of friends have led a team of six high school girls in the building of a handicap ramp. This ramp was attached to an existing deck approximately 47 inches off the ground. The would normally require a ramp 47 feet long to meet code. However, this ramp, because of the slope of the land ended up being 59' long. This included 54 feet of wooden structure and a 5' cement landing pad. Almost all of the work was conducted by the girls while the other adults and myself provided technical expertise and taught them how to use the required power tools. We started construction Monday the 11th and completed on Friday the 15th. the attached pictures show what six very determined young women, some adult experience, 32 pounds of deck screws, 234 pickets, 39 2x8x12s, 15 2x6x12s,48 2x6x16s 14 4x4x8s, 28 1/2" carriage bolts, and 25 bags of quikcrete can create. I am so proud of the young women I had the privilege to lead again this year. And of course none of this would not have happened without a host of people working behind the scenes to support each and every work team we sent out. All totaled, we had 11 work teams, 72 middle and high school children, 30 grade school aged children and about 70 adult volunteers. They completed 24 community service projects in the week.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.