Dennis O'Meara

30 amp power in camp ground.

Rate this Entry
We are new to RVing in a 5th wheel. Next year we would like to go to Alaska. I see a lot of campgrounds only have 30amp service, and of course our Solitude 305RE has a 50amp hook up. Has anyone had experience with this situation, and what did you do?


  1. Husker's Avatar
    You can use a 30 to 50 amp adapter (sometimes called a dog bone). It is a short one foot cable with a 30 amp male connector with a 50 amp female connector. Your RV should work fine and you can run one of your air conditioners but probably not both. You will also have to pay attention to the use of other high power usage equipment (microwave, AC, hot water heater, fireplace, hair dryer, clothes dryer). I am able to use the AC and microwave at the same time but if I turn on the water heater (electric side) for instance, I will likely blow a breaker in the RV or possibly at the power panel outside. One fix is, use the gas side of the water heater when on 30 amp (some will shut this off when not currently taking showers). We do other things like turning off the AC temporarily while running the microwave or hair dryer. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.