dennysbabe

Gas water heater light doesn't go out

Rate this Entry
According to the water heater instructions for our Atwood water heater and according to what we've always been used to in other rv units, the gas water heater light is supposed to go out once the water heater lights but our light stays on. The light is part of the control panel where all the other toggle switches are so I'm wondering if it's supposed to stay on so you can tell the gas unit us on. Does anyone else have that type of setup and does your light stay on or go off? Additionally the water heater lights good and gets very hot but my husband noticed that the ignitor continues to click about every three seconds like it's trying to light. Is that normal?

Phyllis
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes the light stays on. It just tells you that you have it switched on. Demand is based on need (whether it calls for heat or not). The clicking should only happen in the beginning and will continue to click until the thermal coupler heats up telling it to stop the igniter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober
    Yes the light stays on. It just tells you that you have it switched on. Demand is based on need (whether it calls for heat or not). The clicking should only happen in the beginning and will continue to click until the thermal coupler heats up telling it to stop the igniter.
    I appreciate your response. It makes sense to me that the red light would stay on to indicate it's in use but we've never had one stay on before. As for the clicking, it appears it does finally stop but it takes quite a while. According to GD and the service dept at the dealer the red light should go out after the water heater ignites and the continuing clicking isn't right. It's in the shop now so I guess we'll see if anything changes when we get it back.

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.