Bobster43

Ford F350 Automatic tailgate

Rate this Entry
I have a 2017 F350 SuperDuty Lariat SuperCrew cab with the automatic tailgate release. I will be pulling my 2018 GD Imagine 2670MK on a trip in the next several weeks. The question is how can I disable the auto feature on the tailgate? The tailgate will not fully extend when hooked to the ball hitch. I don't want the tailgate open while hooked to prevent damage. Anyone have a solution. Ford didn't have a solution, the fuse for the door and tailgate locks are all in one.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

After some research I found that Blue Ox makes an extension for the hitch that matches the Blue Ox BXW1000 hitch system that allows up to 1600 tongue weight. This will allow the clearance I need to drop the tail gate while hooked to the trailer. Posted in case anyone has a similar issue.
    after some further research I found that the tailgate will automatically lock when the unit starts to move with the doorlocks or you can manually push the lock button after starting. Both will lock the tailgate from opening while traveling
    Give this a try if you decide not to use your receiver extension.
    This feature can be turned on or off with just a few steps: 1. Press the Up/Down buttons on the steering wheel until Settings is displayed on the instrument panel, then press the OK button. 2. Press the Up/Down buttons until Convenience is displayed, then press the OK button. 3. Press the Up/Down buttons until Power Liftgate is displayed, then press the OK button. 4. Select Enabled or Disabled.
    I added a D-ring to the tailgate. I use a strap to ensure it can’t fall more than a couple of inches if it is released automatically while I’m towing. It has not happened while towing. It happened once otherwise.

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.