Rodell

axle alignment and tire wear

Rate this Entry
I have a 2017 Reflection 337RLS with less than 4 thousand miles on it. The front right tire (passenger side) the outer edge/tread has worn down significantly. The other three tires look like new. I've gone to several alignment shops and I'm getting conflicting advice. Some are saying that the axle is bent and cannot be heated and re-bent because the metal has memory and it will revert back to the bent shape shortly there after. One of the shops stated that Dexter axle make the claim that their axles must be replace. I mentioned that to another shop which stated that they are one of a few that are certified to re-bend the axle using laser equipment?

My axle happens to be a 6,000 lb. Lippert axle.

I'm just getting my ducks in a row to get ready for summer camping and because of all the negative articles about the Chinese tire failing I also want to put on the Good Year Endurance tires that are made here in the US.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or personal experience in getting the alignment correct before I put on new tires whether by alignment or by replacement of the front axle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rodell

Comments

Rodell - First of all . . . you will get a broader response to your question by posting it in the appropriate section of the discussion forum, rather than in your own blog.

The tire wear that you describe is most likely a bent spindle at the location of the uneven tire wear. The only way to change the alignment on a beam axle is to bend it. This is common practice on heavy trailers, but becomes a little questionable on the thin wall tube used in our RV axles. I would tend to listen to the advice that these axles cannot be successfully bent back into alignment and be expected to stay that way. A new axle is not that expensive. You can reuse your brakes and hubs. That is the way that I would go.

Rob
    What Rob says is the majority opinion of axle manufacturers and alignment equipment makers.
    Additionally, Grand Design customer service might help you with the cost of an axle beam, especially if you are the original owner. It's worth a try/
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob
    Rodell - First of all . . . you will get a broader response to your question by posting it in the appropriate section of the discussion forum, rather than in your own blog.

The tire wear that you describe is most likely a bent spindle at the location of the uneven tire wear. The only way to change the alignment on a beam axle is to bend it. This is common practice on heavy trailers, but becomes a little questionable on the thin wall tube used in our RV axles. I would tend to listen to the advice that these axles cannot be successfully bent back into alignment and be expected to stay that way. A new axle is not that expensive. You can reuse your brakes and hubs. That is the way that I would go.

Rob
    thanks Rob for your prompt reply and advice.

I will try to put this question in the correct forum as suggested.

I'm a New Be to this Blog so again thanks,

Rodell
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle
    Additionally, Grand Design customer service might help you with the cost of an axle beam, especially if you are the original owner. It's worth a try/
    Fortunately the Lippart customer service person agreed to pay for 1.5 hours labor so all's well that ends well.

Rodell

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.