Justaguy

Pure Michigan -- Jack Pine Lodge and Campground

Rate this Entry
I can hear Tim Allen and the commercial about the beauty of Michigan in my head. "Blah, blah, blah and your journey begins at Michigan.org."

The problem is Jack Pine Lodge is not gonna be on that commercial...or any other commercial for that matter. It is very unique with a 1930's retro cool bar / restaurant that sits in front of some very well cared for cabins. The cabins sit in front of a brand new RV park that has about 24 spaces - 21 with full hook-ups. The whole place is out in the middle of no where. 20 miles from Manistique and about the same distance from Munising and a long ways away from anything.

There is no phone service - no TV and no cable. There is WIFI but only in the 1700 sq ft bar/restaurant and there is beauty and a quietness that, for a city boy, is hard to find. I found it here. So have the locals. For being so remote they come from all around as Rhonda likes to tell. They come for the fish baskets and the pizza fries --I'm thinkin' I like the cold, cold beer.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You gotta love the UP, eh? You should see that place in the Winter - sleds galore and lots of snow. We camp a lot in the UP - Indian Lake State Park is one of our favorite spots - might have to try the Jack Pine one of these days. Lake Muskellonge is another "quiet" State park that big rigs can use.
    We used to tent camp just up the road from the Jack Pine on the Indian River. Glad to see the Jack Pine is still doing well. That is a great area. We too love the UP and will be up there for our "shakedown" cruise in September. Indian Lake is first on our list, followed by the Porkie's and then our favorite spot- a week or two in Copper Harbor.
    I love that area....I would like to go back for some winter fun. It looks like everyone has a blast
    CaptMike - We spent two weeks in the UP last fall hitting Indian Lake, McClain, Muskellonge and ended up at the private park next to the hydro plant in the Soo watching you guys go past for about four days! Headed to Wilderness State park on Wed for a long weekend and then in Sept we are thinking about the Castle Rock campground for a week (after the rally of course).
    That's a coincidence, we are going by that campground in the Soo right now. Lots of campers up here, and I also see a Reflection over there! We will also be going by the Algonac State Park tomorrow afternoon. I find myself looking for Reflections and Solitudes at all of these parks now....
    We spent a week there at the height of Mosquito season which wasn't the best time to be at Jack Pine. Quite by accident we met a couple whom we had met in Arizona last winter (2013 -14) reminding us of what a small world this is. The Campground is nice and the owner is wonderful. The Retro-Bar/Grill serves good food and reasonably priced. If you are looking for a place to get caught up on your email, tv, or have nice conversations with your friends and family then you are in the wrong spot - Justaguy has it right, no phone, tv, or internet. It is a great spot however to put you between the upper UP and the lower UP and there's a lot to do all around you. If you are in there area make plans to stop and stay a while.
    Hey Capen's Cottage - good to hear you are still in the area!! We met up with you at Saginaw Bay Resort in Standish. It was so nice to meet and talk with you - I really hope our path's cross again.
    Hey CentralMichBo, It was great meeting you and yes we hope our paths cross again. We are currently in Rapid City, SD on our tour of the west. So far, Michigan, UP, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and now South Dakota. We are working our way back to AZ for the winter but will go through WY, UT, NV before getting back to AZ.

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.