User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisopy View Post
    Does anyone carry comprehensive/ collision insurance besides roadside for physical damage? Say if the trailer would overturn while you're towing it, or any damage from weather or vandalism. Do you go through your auto insurance?
    Absolutely! You can request a quote with your auto carrier but you'll probably find you'll find it's more cost effective with companies such as Progressive or National General.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Absolutely! You can request a quote with your auto carrier but you'll probably find you'll find it's more cost effective with companies such as Progressive or National General.

Progressive is my auto insurance and they quoted me 501 a yr with 500 deductible. They only towed to the nearest qualified repair center, or 15 miles. This was for roadside and insurance on the camper. We are considered full time since we're in travel healthcare and stay in the camper more than our residence usually. That may have had something to do with the high price. I have the extended warranty plan through preserve and the roadside assistance I bought at the time I bought the trailer, but I'm trying to cancel some of them and narrow down since each seem to offer a degree of roadside assistance. Any experience with coach net?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not Join FMCA today and save with a special Grand Design discount code: GRAND35. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Why not Join FMCA today and save with a special Grand Design discount code: GRAND35. KEN
    I will definitely look into that for roadside assistance. Have you had good experience with them? If I insure through progressive for collision, it comes with roadside assistance. I guess I would only get FMCA as a backup if it provides more than progressive.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definitely look into that for roadside assistance. Have you had good experience with them? If I insure through progressive for collision, it comes with roadside assistance. I guess I would only get FMCA as a backup if it provides more than progressive.
    That is a good plan of action. It's exactly what I did. As far as experience with any of the roadside assistance, I don't and knock on wood hope I never do. I did have one occasion where I used a local service center and National General was extremely good about coverage. Of course renewal reflected their generous attitude. It's difficult to find actual data on any of them and you will find responses, good and bad, on them all. However some do stand out.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    That is a good plan of action. It's exactly what I did. As far as experience with any of the roadside assistance, I don't and knock on wood hope I never do. I did have one occasion where I used a local service center and National General was extremely good about coverage. Of course renewal reflected their generous attitude. It's difficult to find actual data on any of them and you will find responses, good and bad, on them all. However some do stand out.
    Thanks. I also have a roadside plan and extended service plan I purchased through the dealer when I bought mine, but I'm thinking of cancelling them. The trailer is new and it's at least covered for a yr and then the individual manufacturers warranties go beyond that like 5 years for the axle. At the time I thought the extended warranty may be good, but the more I think about it, I'm handy enough and if something does break after the manufacturer warranty I'll just pay for it then.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I also have a roadside plan and extended service plan I purchased through the dealer when I bought mine, but I'm thinking of cancelling them. The trailer is new and it's at least covered for a yr and then the individual manufacturers warranties go beyond that like 5 years for the axle. At the time I thought the extended warranty may be good, but the more I think about it, I'm handy enough and if something does break after the manufacturer warranty I'll just pay for it then.
    Usually the only one making out on an extended warranty is the one selling it. Think of it as an insurance policy with a high commission. The dealer roadside plan is probably the same.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had to use my roadside assistance (insurance) several times I would like to take a few moments to explain what happens when you call for help. First off, you will go to a call center. They will ask if you are safe, in other words, are you blocking the highway and is it possible you could get run over. If you answer no they will determine your position and call law enforcement. The one time I had this situation law enforcement was quite understanding about my predicament and very helpful.

It will take a long time for the call center to determine what is needed and then contract a service provider. 5 hours is our record, lonely highway in Montana, the only service provider was already out on call, tire needed was in another town 50 miles away. Better in more populated areas.

It's also helpful if you are in an area with cell service. Otherwise there is a lot of phone tag and message leaving which adds hours to the problem.

Tires are pretty easy, lots of on the road tire replacement resources. It may take the call center an hour or more to find someone that can come help.

Tow vehicle break down. Tow truck to nearest repair facility. Notice how I said nearest, not bestest. When the nearest facility finally said they were unable to affect the repair the roadside assistance paid for another tow to a facility 90 miles away that could do the repair.

Mechanical failure on the RV suspension. Roadside Assistance first response will be to tow you to a repair facility. ??? If the trailer won't roll this is a bit of a problem. They are not very good at finding mobile repair providers. Expect a long delay for this one. Our broken spring hanger allowed the rear axle to swing, couldn't tow it. They were talking about getting cranes and a flat bed, fortunately someone at the tow company had some common sense, he sub-contracted with a welding outfit to come weld a new spring hanger on while we were in a pullover along the side of a narrow country road. Roadside assistance didn't have a clue how to get that done, but they paid the "towing" bill which covered the service call.

Now these have been the good experiences. Many have reported basically no service at all, simply because there wasn't anything they could do. I will keep my roadside assistance (insurance) plan. but I do so knowing full well what they are about. I just don't want folks to think that these services are instant solutions to a problem. 4 - 5 hours with 15-20 conversations with persons of vary different knowledge and experience levels. You will talk to some really on the ball people and you will talk with some folks that don't have a clue. It can be frustrating, you just have to be patient and let the process work.

I am not trying to bad mouth my Good Sam Platinum roadside assistance plan. They have towed my 40' 5th wheel twice. They paid for a service call. They have towed my truck 3 times and paid the bill promptly. They found someone to replace my tire in Montana where the closest towns are about 50 miles apart. It's just a slow frustrating process.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @D2Reid, Do you also have trailer roadside through your auto insurance if that's who you use for your comp/collison coverage?
    2020 Imagine Mk2670

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good evening to all. We are getting closer to pulling the trigger on buying a Solitude 380FL. Taking our time for research as they are pricey. So, reading through the threads here, there seems to be both comprehensive insurance and simply roadside assistance. I have to imagine that some policies combine both. We use USAA for most insurance, and that site sent us to Progressive for RV insurance. Quote I received from them was $2300 - $2700/yr! That’s equal to or more than my house. Would love to hear with insurance companies folks are using for comprehensive coverage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast