User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

I think the lowest temperature I have experienced here in our part of Idaho was -11 Fahrenheit. Good information, and thanks! The batteries, although not connected, where fully charged still when I put them back in, and they were never put on a trickle charge during the Winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I've advocated for this in several earlier threads, with charts. You don't need to wrestle them in and out of the RV when not in use. Just make sure:

1. They have been verified not to be low on water.
    2. They are fully charged (give them 24 hrs with the RV plugged in and the switch on).
    3. When not using, they are fully disconnected. Don't trust the switch, take one set of wires off of one of the terminals.

They can go many, many months (8-12) without attention. The exception would be in extremely hot weather for long periods (all summer in Arizona, etc.).
    Fully charged batteries will not freeze until they get to -74F.

See my earlier posts for more info about "how long at what average temperature".
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    I begin by saying I am a Newbee to owning an RV. The beginning of Winter I removed my Two new 12V batteries and placed them on Two cut 2 x 4s to store in the garage. The weather has warmed up, plus talking to a friend I made the decision to put them back on the RV (New, and we have not taken out yet). Connected them in parallel and turned the Battery Disconnect switch to OFF and unplugged the electricity ⚡️. I then checked the Control Panel, but nothing worked. Are my Two new batteries destroyed by removing them and storing them in the garage? I never purchased a trickle charger for them. Please, any knowledgeable owners in this Forum I need your input. [emoji3061][emoji3064]
    False alarm. My Two Interstate Deep Cycle 12V batteries are just fine. My wife and I took our TT Gemma (wife’s Grandmother’s name) out on her maiden voyage 47 miles away to do a four-day show, and then back home. We are learning about the trailer and how everything functions. Already got a quick lesson on water conservation while Boondocking. I’m going to have a solar system with Two 195 Watts panels installed at my RV dealership so I won’t void my Warranty(s) to keep my batteries charged. My Gen will be my backup for ugly days when we are out.

My batteries have been fluctuating between 11.9-12.7V and when my Gen is running 13.7V at the highest, so we are golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally spring here in the Northland, and the toys have come out to play. All stored in outdoor temps, from Oct-May, initially fully charged, disconnected, and ignored in the units until this week. Same treatment all have had since new.

AGM Grp 31, 12 yr old - unload voltage is 12.9
    AGM Grp 31, 12 yr old - unloaded voltage is 12.85
    7 yr old LA, Grp 24 - unloaded voltage is 12.7
    3 yr old 6v GC2 (Costco) is 6.35
    3 yr old 6v GC2 (Costco) is 6.4

So all very close to full charge after their long nap. May replace the Grp 24 just because (engine starting battery)
    No good way for me to test overall capacity remaining in any, and I expect it to be lower for the old AGM's. But I am very over capacity for their use, so not an issue. Will downsize or go lithium soon for their replacements. But will first see how well they do in actual use, and might even push them for another year if they work better than "good enough".
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I’m going to have a solar system with Two 195 Watts panels installed at my RV dealership so I won’t void my Warranty(s)...
    Installing solar doesn't void warranty.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Installing solar doesn't void warranty.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4
    If they have roof issues they could be denied repairs from the panel install on the roof. Manufactures will look to void any warranty for the smallest reasons.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If they have roof issues they could be denied repairs from the panel install on the roof. Manufactures will look to void any warranty for the smallest reasons.
    Perhaps, but those issues would have to be tired directly to the installation. They can't blanket deny the roof from a solar installation. Also, a dealer install wouldn't change that. GD would put that on the dealer to cover, from personal experience.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I begin by saying I am a Newbee to owning an RV. The beginning of Winter I removed my Two new 12V batteries and placed them on Two cut 2 x 4s to store in the garage. The weather has warmed up, plus talking to a friend I made the decision to put them back on the RV (New, and we have not taken out yet). Connected them in parallel and turned the Battery Disconnect switch to OFF and unplugged the electricity ⚡️. I then checked the Control Panel, but nothing worked. Are my Two new batteries destroyed by removing them and storing them in the garage? I never purchased a trickle charger for them. Please, any knowledgeable owners in this Forum I need your input. 若梁
    the batteries with no trickle charge will begin to sulfate at 50% of charge.... at 20% of charge the sulfate process can cause Permanent damage to the plates. This reduces the batteries current discharge ability. (example-Your 120 amp hour may now become only 50 amp)......TRICKLE charge is cheaper than 2 new batteries.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    It is unfortunate that there is so much out there that is contradictory about maintaining lead acid batteries. You base your feeding and care on what you have found out, me on what I have found.
    To my points:
    Yes, they definitely discharge themselves over time. But it is very temperature dependent, the warmer the faster. Actual controlled testing vs oft repeated "rules of thumb" is out there, but harder to find. In my case, over several decades with the 6 various batteries I have to care for, they have never been below 90% charge after 6 mos. of unattended outdoor storage. The only one I ever had to replace in less than 5 years was one that accidentally discharged to zero, and left it that way for over a week (in the summer). A couple I am currently really pushing - this will be their 12th year. But I would be more attentive as the average storage temp goes up - outdoors in Minn, over the winter is great. Arizona in the summer is bad.

Lead Acids do NOT suffer from memory effects. Ever. Google "do lead acid batteries develop memory" and all the results are from multiple manufacturers stating that they do NOT have this problem.

Yes, it is bad to store them at partial charge, but unanswered is "how partial"? My experience and that of thousands of boat owners who store boats over the winter in my area points to little accelerated degradation over time. Again, much warmer climates likely are different. Only you can decide where your cutoff is that requires greater care and feeding. For me, not getting below 90% counts as pretty much fully charged.

How much trade-off is one willing to make to potentially extend their life? For me, with six, uninstalling/reinstalling is a major feat. And needing the added storage space, electrical access, charging devices, etc. is very problematic. One Group 27 battery is much less of an issue than 2 grp 31 AGMS, 2 6v, etc.
    Is the cost/hassle worth the trade off for whatever fractional addition to their life span? For me, if they "only" last 5-6 years, instead possibly going 6-7, that is a fair trade-off for the convenience. But after 20 years, that "trade" appears not to be needed, and I have won in the battery arena.

Now, all of the above pre-supposes otherwise good care. Never letting the electrolyte get low. Always keeping them fully charged during the active season. Using a quality charger. Never over charging. Never discharging to low/very low levels, or at least staying low for any length of time. Or (as I found) never letting them go completely dead.

On other topics:
    I don't understand your lithium comment. While the issue is minor, if one is looking for ultimate maximum life out of lithiums, they should be stored at a partial discharge level. But the reality is that LiFe's are really stable, so any gain is pretty minimal.
    And then there is the old "store them on wood, not concrete" myth that was brought up in another post.....
    I’ve lived in Idaho since 2005. The coldest temperature I have experienced was -11F. I did remove my batteries and place them in my Garage on Two 2’ x 2’s, from my understanding, you are saying it is safe to leave my batteries in their Battery boxes during the Winter, just remove the Negative cable? I cover my whole Trailer’s Tongue (Battery boxes, LP tanks and Electric Jack) with a folded Tarp to protect from snow, hail and rain, as I cover my AC Condenser the same way. Will my 2 x 12V Lead Acid batteries be okay during the Winter months?

We are also going to get Solar installed on the Coach starting with 2 x 190W panels to keep the batteries charged. Later will expand to a third panel and a power inverter, and maybe go to Lithium ion batteries.

Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve lived in Idaho since 2005. The coldest temperature I have experienced was -11F. I did remove my batteries and place them in my Garage on Two 2’ x 2’s, from my understanding, you are saying it is safe to leave my batteries in their Battery boxes during the Winter, just remove the Negative cable? I cover my whole Trailer’s Tongue (Battery boxes, LP tanks and Electric Jack) with a folded Tarp to protect from snow, hail and rain, as I cover my AC Condenser the same way. Will my 2 x 12V Lead Acid batteries be okay during the Winter months?

We are also going to get Solar installed on the Coach starting with 2 x 190W panels to keep the batteries charged. Later will expand to a third panel and a power inverter, and maybe go to Lithium ion batteries.

Just a suggestion to use a controller for your panels which can handle your expansion to three so you aren’t faced with multiple controllers
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast