Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing paperwork, taking posession & fixing issues

Hi all,
    We are in-process of closing this week or next, on a '21 310GK-R that is on the local lot and we managed to get a nice deal.
    Being newbies, we are hiring a 3rd party inspection to ensure the punch list gets expert attention.
    We cannot park the rig at home and the dealer says they can hold it for a while, but they do want us to close the deal so they can get paid -understandable.

Here's the main question, seems the answer is obvious but good to ask, right?

When does the dealer's responsibility to correct errors before delivery end?
    If we sign for ownership, but keep it parked on the dealer lot, I assume this technically means we've still taken delivery, correct?
    I would assume all punch list items need to be rectified BEFORE we sign anything, correct?

Thanks everyone!

-Colin

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Hi all,
    We are in-process of closing this week or next, on a '21 310GK-R that is on the local lot and we managed to get a nice deal.
    Being newbies, we are hiring a 3rd party inspection to ensure the punch list gets expert attention.
    We cannot park the rig at home and the dealer says they can hold it for a while, but they do want us to close the deal so they can get paid -understandable.

Here's the main question, seems the answer is obvious but good to ask, right?

When does the dealer's responsibility to correct errors before delivery end?
    If we sign for ownership, but keep it parked on the dealer lot, I assume this technically means we've still taken delivery, correct?
    I would assume all punch list items need to be rectified BEFORE we sign anything, correct?

Thanks everyone!

-Colin
    Yes, if you (or your inspector) finds issues that need to be fixed during the pre-delivery inspection, you shouldn't accept delivery (or complete payment) until issues are fixed.

Yes, if you sign/accept delivery, and leave the rig at the dealers, you've accepted delivery.

I would say that the dealer's responsibility ends when the issues are fixed.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 02-01-2021 at 05:26 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X2 on livinthelife's answers. NEVER sign anything, and do not pay anything, until the unit is 100%. Doing so means it is yours, and the dealer has smaller motivation to fix items. There have been tales of dealers even charging rent to "hold" an RV while it waits for service. And some dealers take many months to do the work. Anything your inspector finds is something they should have found and fixed before your delivery date.
    Not to be negative - I've bought two RV's from two different dealers, and they both have been fantastic on delivering a perfect vehicle, and in follow up if work does need to be done. But there are way too many tales from around the country of dealers who are not so good. So initially, protect yourself first and make them prove that they are a company you want to work with. You have the power to just walk away, if it gets that bad, as long as you do not accept it. Once you sign or pay more money, you lose that leverage.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of leaving my RV on a dealers lot. I had a motorhome hit 3 times in different incidences. Bad luck I guess. Of course they fixed it, one time it took 3 trips to the body shop. So I'm gun shy.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I would say that the dealer's responsibility ends when the issues are fixed."

@JM0397 but I would add that the dealers incentive/motivation to fix the problems greatly decreases as soon as you sign the papers. Try to get all problems resolved before you sign anything.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always do the PDI before the paperwork. If something comes up.duromg the pdi, put it on a "Due Bill". The dealer will then be held responsible and anything they is not provided, corrected or part of the agreement becomes breach of contract.

Always do it that way.

Congrats on your impending purchase, and Welcome to the GD family.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    "I would say that the dealer's responsibility ends when the issues are fixed."

@JM0397 but I would add that the dealers incentive/motivation to fix the problems greatly decreases as soon as you sign the papers. Try to get all problems resolved before you sign anything.

Chris
    Another thought. Not picking on Chris, it just fits here. The first Grand Design I bought, a 369RL in 2013, the dealer had me do the walk through/PDI. We had a small list of things to correct. They has me sign the papers and then 3 techs jumped on it to fix the list. The waited until after the paperwork was done because then they got paid for warranty work instead of on their nickel during the PDI. I never thought much about it since they only spent 30 minutes adjusting things.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how the process actually works for a dealer, but before buying my first (a Jayco), I had bumped into the owner/president of the huge dealership, on the sales floor. He was very proud of the fact that his dealership had by far the highest warranty claim rate in the country with Jayco. All due to his own PDI process to ensure that everything was right before the purchaser came to get it. They wouldn't even schedule a "customer PDI" pick up until it was 100%. Based on several people I talked to, and my own experience, he was spot on - nothing found on units that left his dealership. My current Grand Design dealer was not so boastful, but they again have proven themselves to do all that they can to deliver a 100% product on the day of pickup.
    I would suspect that the desire to transfer ownership before submitting a claim is just a dodge for the dealer to get you to take it.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, as always - thank you everyone!
    Just more and more proof choosing a GD and finding the "family" here are the correct choice for us!
    Our inspection is Thursday, and tentatively scheduled to sign on Saturday, pending clean inspection and fixing any issues. We can always sign later, so time is on our side here. I was hoping to get over the frost threats here in Charlotte area in the next month or so, so a few extra weeks works in our favor anyway. Spring comes early down here!

-Colin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Great info, as always - thank you everyone!
    Just more and more proof choosing a GD and finding the "family" here are the correct choice for us!
    Our inspection is Thursday, and tentatively scheduled to sign on Saturday, pending clean inspection and fixing any issues. We can always sign later, so time is on our side here. I was hoping to get over the frost threats here in Charlotte area in the next month or so, so a few extra weeks works in our favor anyway. Spring comes early down here!

-Colin
    If you scroll to the "Reference Library " on the forum list you will find a post that is stuck to the top on PDIs. There are several different PDI sheets you can print off to use as a guide when you go inspect your new 310. Take your time inspecting the trailer, could be a long day so get a good nights sleep!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast