User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My GMC has down hill assist. I think every modern truck does. I rarely have to use the brakes
    I find these posts funny. My truck has bigger and better brakes than HD trucks had just over 10 years ago but no body said anything about them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    LOL. The half ton folks like to talk about how much improved their trucks are today.... And this is true to a point. But, progress hasn't been limited to the half tons,,, Their larger cousins are also much improved. What hasn't changed is the differences between them. I have actually worked on differentials, brakes ujoints, trannys etc. The size and weight of the components is night and day between the two classes of trucks. That was true years ago, and is still true today.
    Heavy weight requires heavy components.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    There's the stuff on paper and then there's the real world. Good luck trying to stop or slow down an 12,500 lb trailer on even the slightest downhill grade..
    You'll smoke the brakes in know time.
    Thats why I tow with a diesel. I can slow down my 9600 lb TT on most any grade up to 6% with just the exhaust brake.
    All I can say is if someone's towing over 5,000 lbs with a 1/2 ton then they better hope the trailer brakes are working.
    That is a ridiculous statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Incident last week when everyone on i65 slowed down to a stop quickly. Doing 65mph pulling 7100lbs I stopped on a dime. I was amazed with my 1/2 ton.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    LOL. The half ton folks like to talk about how much improved their trucks are today.... And this is true to a point. But, progress hasn't been limited to the half tons,,, Their larger cousins are also much improved. What hasn't changed is the differences between them. I have actually worked on differentials, brakes ujoints, trannys etc. The size and weight of the components is night and day between the two classes of trucks. That was true years ago, and is still true today.
    I'll take changing out the rear brakes on my 2015 dually every day of the year over those that were under my 98 GMC with full floater and drums with more steel in them than an entire Tesla!!

I personally don't subscribe to the debate... My 2019 Gen5 RAM 1500 with factory tow goodies sits right next to my Gen4 RAM 3500 dually with the maxed out factory tow goodies. So I just pick the right tool for the job! I like quality tools, they last longer when worked hard.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can my TV stop me

And where did I say it stopped at 1/2 tons?
    You obviously completely missed the point of my comment

Happy camping

Edit “half ton folks”????

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 04-02-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post is totally irrelevant to this thread. The tread is not about 1/2 tons or any size truck for that matter it's about how trucks are rated in 4 categories that are important to tow something. When someone says well you can tow it but good luck stopping it they are clueless to the standards of that truck.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    I find it interesting that so many posts here totally missed the standard and all the testing that determines how every single truck is rated for tow, load capacity, braking and cornering.
    They don't want to admit that engineers might actually plan for stopping, steering, and pulling trailers when they design a tow vehicle...

When you understand the testing, you can also interpolate why a certain vehicle can't pull as heavy a trailer (FWD minivan as an example; can't perform well in the grade starting test)

The 'Big Truck' crowd are running safely, and believe that if you don't have a buffer like they do, you aren't as safe...

By their logic a highway tractor weighing 18,000 lbs should only tow a trailer that has a GVWR of 18k too... Cuz you can't have a trailer that outweighs the TV...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    I've seen many posts on here where someone says they have a 1/2 ton and wonder if they can tow a certain trailer and someone always says it will tow it but will it stop it. The will it stop it phrase is used quite often, too often. Coming from an automotive back ground I knew that the answer was yes a manufacture would never build a vehicle give it a 12,000lb tow rating if it could not stop it so today I did some research and discovered that it turns out that there is standard which includes towing, braking, payload, handling including hill climbing. So if a 1/2 ton says it can tow 12,000 lbs the standard says that it can also stop it.
    The standard for towing that all manufacturers must use is J2807.

I think you will find this an interesting read.

Ken
    I don't care what anyone says, you can haul any trailer with any vehicle. This video is the proof!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W5r7rrR_Mg&t=29s
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discussion could go on forever, and I think it has, but I’d like to throw in my 2 cents. Think about this from a “sellers” standpoint...they’re going to pass the speed, braking, suspension, longevity, etc tests while spending minimal $$. Can your half ton pull it? Absolutely. Can your Jeep Wrangler pull a 30’ trailer weighing over 7k? Probably. (I’ve seen it). Same concept as crash ratings. The minimum needed to pass is an impact at 45 mph. Off topic...if you’re going 25 and you hit someone head-on doing the same speed..technically your vehicle is not rated for that rate of impact.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PowerStroke SRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    I had an Incident last week when everyone on i65 slowed down to a stop quickly. Doing 65mph pulling 7100lbs I stopped on a dime. I was amazed with my 1/2 ton.

Slowing down quickly on an interstate in a straight line means what? Ignoring payload capacity in favor of towing ability is great in straight line stops....but what about accident avoidance incidents.

Put 8,000 lbs on a 2 lane road with a deer jumping out or a blowout requiring evasive maneuver or stopping power has everything to do with a vehicle which can control the trailer and situation. Fool yourself into thinking the 1/2 ton can because it handles mild situations is fine, but I would rather stay in the medium my payload capacity than maxing it out or exceeding it.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast