User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Curt hitch has color codes about hitched, ready to hitch, in-between. Almost everybody has a bad trailering experience, mine happened today when I didn't use my manual slider and turned at too large an angle, denting the cab and blowing out the rear window of the truck. A 5.5' bed can do that, my previous truck had an 8' bed and didn't. Painful & embarrassing, but you learn and move on.
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never make mistakes !🤪😹. NOT!

Don’t feel bad if no one gets hurt. We learn from our mistakes.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout. are you not just describing a pull test? I back in and then make sure the jaws are locked in place and the handle secured and then do a pull test with the landing gear still down. Once you raise the landing gear and then do a pull test are you not running the slight chance of dropping your RV on the vehicle, even when done slowly. Been driving semis for 40 years and their king pins and handles are spring loaded and even then we do a pull test and sight inspection of the jaws before raising the landing gear.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sameo sameo

Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Here's the solution........load from any angle.....pretty much idiot proof

https://www.pullrite.com/2400
    They won`t listen. The best one I`ve seen is a brand new Dodge dually still with the new truck tags on it with crushed bed rails in front of a new 40`er. Made himself look real good in front of the wife. With this hitch or the Andersen it can`t happen, it`s ether on or off no in-between.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    They won`t listen. The best one I`ve seen is a brand new Dodge dually still with the new truck tags on it with crushed bed rails in front of a new 40`er. Made himself look real good in front of the wife. With this hitch or the Andersen it can`t happen, it`s ether on or off no in-between.
    I’m sorry I think I missed your point. My truck was reasonably new. We had just upgraded from 1500 pulling a 27’ TT. The 5th wheel hitch was foreign to me. The trailer still has temporary tags. Isn’t that when more mistakes happen? When things are new? In my case, “the wife,” was behind the wheel and I told her to pull forward when the trailer wasn’t hitched properly. I really don’t understand your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris & Marilyn
    2021 Solitude 345GK
    2020 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L HO Cummings 8' Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mUSt bE spECial

Quote Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
    I’m sorry I think I missed your point. My truck was reasonably new. We had just upgraded from 1500 pulling a 27’ TT. The 5th wheel hitch was foreign to me. The trailer still has temporary tags. Isn’t that when more mistakes happen? When things are new? In my case, “the wife,” was behind the wheel and I told her to pull forward when the trailer wasn’t hitched properly. I really don’t understand your point.

I know you don`t.

Hitching is the simplest but the most important task when preparing to pull anything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my Reese hitch, it gave me nothing but trouble, it would close but not completely. It wouldn't give up the pin when unhitching at times. Put up with the finnicky thing for over 15 years. Bought a B&W Companion & love it.
    I do a pull test with landing legs off the ground 1/2 to 1 inch. Being hydraulic, I don't want to them in a bind if I get carried away with the throttle & the trailer creeps forward. Same for loading, lower the strike plate below the hitch which will lift the legs slightly off the ground.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
    We are new to 5th wheels and learned a horrible lesson yesterday. We got a little sloppy pulling our Solitude out. My wife backed up the truck. I heard a click. Closed the arm on the B&W hitch, put in the safety pin, raised the landing gear. I never looked to make sure the kingpin was locked in place. It wasn't. Side rails of the truck damaged, tailgate a total loss along with my self-esteem.

I share this just so my mistake may be a reminder to everyone not to get sloppy when hitching and unhitching. Fortunately, insurance will cover less the $500 deductible. An expensive lesson for sure.

Chris
    Ive done that...twice! The first time my excuse was I was on pain pills and forgot to latch the arm. The second time I got interrupted and forgot to put in the pin. Yea, it squashes the truck rails, no damage to the 5th wh though both were slow speed thankfully. Quite a noise though.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Ive done that...twice! The first time my excuse was I was on pain pills and forgot to latch the arm. The second time I got interrupted and forgot to put in the pin. Yea, it squashes the truck rails, no damage to the 5th wh though both were slow speed thankfully. Quite a noise though.
    Yep, you can’t hide that sound, or forget it.

Chris & Marilyn
    2021 Solitude 345GK
    2020 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L HO Cummings 8' Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing as painful as it is.
    John & Ladean
    2021 GD 303rls Reflection
    2016 2500 GMC Denali Duramax Diesel