User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design Customer Service - Real People, Real Service

This is a story of persistence (mine), efforts to make good on promises (GD) and folks that care.

I have recently been dealing with a delamination issue with Grand Design. For details I have a thread titled "The Heartbreak of Delamination" buried in the Reflection Travel Trailer section. I think the outcome deserves mention to the general audience, especially for those struggling with customer service.

My case got off to a rough start dealing with a recalcitrant customer service rep. I was put off and basically ignored for 2-1/2 months. They did not want to replace the delaminated wall. I decided to contact Jerry McCarthy, a GDRV VP. Jerry responded within the hour and handed my case over to Mr. Brad Smith. Brad called me the next day with a plan. The plan was to transport my trailer from my home near Seattle to the factory in the next few days, replace the wall and return it to me. He asked if there were any other suspect spots. My inspector had found some raised areas on the opposite side that were not currently of concern but could become a problem.

Here's what happened.
    1. Trailer was picked up and delivered to factory within a few days.
    2. The offending walls were examined.
    3. Brad called to inform me that both walls would be replaced. This would require extra time.
    4. I called Valerie who was in charge of handling my repair and presented her with a small list of other things they could look at, including the balky Schwintek slide.
    5. Replacements and repairs were made. This took about 3 or 4 weeks.
    6. During this time Valerie asked if I had any trips coming up. If so, she would make an effort to get it back to me. It so happens I did have a trip coming up on 3/17. She said she would make every effort to get it back in time.
    7. Sometimes life just happens and plans must change. I was diagnosed with a serious health issue, rhymes with dancer and I wasn't going to make my trip. Furthermore, I wouldn't be able to receive my trailer at the storage lot, I'd need a friend to do that. I informed Valerie of my predicament. Since my friend would be camping near the delivery date, I asked Valerie to block out those dates and deliver before or after which she readily agreed to do.
    8. Even though the bill of lading clearly displayed the block out dates - Deliver before 3/16 or after 3/21- The transport company delivered on 3/18, requiring my buddy to take a day out of his trip and drive 400 miles round trip to take delivery. I was in hospital at this time.
    9. When I arrived home and saw the bill of lading I fired off a nastygram to GD about their transport company. The guy showed up with no keys, all doors and bins unlocked. This guy is the owner of the company. He mentioned he had another trailer to pick up close by. Hmm...
    10. A nastygram was dispatched to GDRV complaining about this.
    11. Brad called a few days later to apologize. I have a standing invitation to be his guest for a personally guided factory tour. During the course of conversation, Brad inquired about my health. He wanted to know if it was ok to ask about what was going on, so I told him. Brad is a very nice man.
    Oh yeah, I told him about my new mattress coming back with stains on it. Get a new one and I'll reimburse.
    12. A few days later I felt good enough to do a little inspection of the work. On the exterior, the coach looks as new. I know the walls and slide walls were replaced because I know where the little marks and dings were. I couldn't do a roof inspection 'cuz I'm just not up to climbing a ladder yet but the wall to roof seam looks good. Inspected the interior with a flashlight for the nooks and crannies. I looked inside cabinets, at windows, everywhere I could. I can't tell anything has been done from inside or out. Looks like a great job.

Once I contacted Jerry McCarthy, the customer service was just incredible. Jerry and Brad are committed to customer service and creating a brand that goes beyond just selling you a trailer. Jerry told me he was grateful that I contacted him. That if we don't tell him about these issues he wouldn't know.

I guess the moral of the story is: If you aren't getting satisfaction in your dealings with GDRV customer service, don't give up. Be honest, save emails, take pictures, be reasonable. Don't call the VP about a broken screw, although I contacted GDRV via their web page once requesting screws. I'll let you guess who responded. I had the screws in 2 days.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. I received a package yesterday containing a beautiful bouquet of iris, lilies and such and a box of chocolates.
    The card read-
    Thought you could use a little pick me up
    Your friends at Grand Design

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim,
    Thanks for sharing, and I want to wish you the best regarding your health.
    A story like this is why I am a Grand Design customer for life, I am picking up my second Grand Design RV on Saturday. When you are reasonable and not demanding, and the right people are involved, Grand Design stands above all others in the RV industry.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First - Most Importantly - I hope you are doing well and continue on the road to recovery. Stay positive and you will be back camping in no time.
    Second - Thanks for the great story of customer service. I am a satisfied customer as well with some warranty issues that were taken care of without question. It's alway a better to stay positive and reasonable when dealing with these things.
    Take care...
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you are well on your way to recovery. Thanks for the story, every time I've contacted GD about a problem (even if I did the damage myself) they have responded and done every thing possible to give me a good outcome.

Again get well soon.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Chiefblueman;224765]This is a story of persistence (mine), efforts to make good on promises (GD) and folks that care.

snip

Kim, so sorry to hear of your health problems, I've been there with a family member. Keep a positive attitude, it helped my family, hang in there buddy!

Great news of GDRV service. Me too - One of the end caps of our new coach on the forward awning blew off somewhere on its maiden voyage. I asked GDRV how I could get a new end cap from Carefree, they didn't hesitate, GDRV is sending me a new end cap.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story Chief , it is nice to deal with a company that does this for there customers.
    Here's for a speedy recovery , if our paths cross I will have a home town brew for you and a sturdy hand shake.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim - thank you for sharing your story. I suspect that you do not feel up putting together this lengthy of a piece.....my hat's off to you for doing so !

Good to hear all looks in order or even better than new. When we picked our 303 last June I too was super impressed by how great everything looked. Rob shared his accolades for how well his 303 turned out. Obviously if Rob was impressed I had no concerns and was amazed that we basically had a new RV.

Val, Brad,and Jerry are truly wonderful testaments to the outstanding GDRV service team.......I could not have been more happy and remain so today.

Having GDRV send flowers, chocolates, and more and a note.......well that kinda sums it up !

Kick that "C" crap to the curb. Carol did so twice a decade and 1/2 ago. Many folks have similar stories so get well soon. You know if you need anything just let us know.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 03-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, Kim & Sharon. I purchased a 2017 Solitude 310GK in February 2017 - haven't used it nearly enough. Have also had some paint cracking issues on the front cap but afraid to contact Customer Service believing that I'll get the run around. This doesn't appear to be anything serious, just cosmetic. After reading your story I may contact them for some touch-up paint, we'll see. Really glad you got your problem solved. Also, wish you the best recovery with the big "C" - don't let it get you down - best medicine ever! And have fun RVing this summer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chief, thanks for sharing your story. We hope for a speedy recovery also!

Flowers and chocolates... I bet few, if any companies would do that. So nice to hear that they are stil so personable.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a story! Hope you are doing better.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast