User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    So, @docque - you still reading this stuff? Are you leaning one way or another yet?

fwiw.... a close friend that has a 14,500 lb rig went from a diesel to a gasser (Ford 6.7 to Ford Godzilla) and now wishes he got the 4.30 gears instead of the 3.73. He doesn't like how it tows, even on the flats in FL, in 10th gear. Now he is saying that he like 9th gear getter even when running empty and thinks he gets a few more 10th of a gallon that way. Id suggest if you go with a gasser then get higher gears. He doesn't go east of the Mississippi ever and just un and down the east coast, so he likes the gas engine option. It does drop down to 7th real quick on hills. When he traveled more he always used a diesel.

No one has mentioned long bed vs. short bed. I just traded out my short bed for a long bed (all else is equal) to allow me to run a Reese Gooseneck. Tons of threads here about hitches and SB vs. LB. I'll say that for every SB I owned I had an auto slider; it's sort of hitch and forget it vs. manual which seems to be hitch and hope when backing.

My rig is 15,500 GVWR but weighs in at about 14,000 to 14,500. I do a lot of traveling all over the country and Canada. I won't be without the diesel simply because it works no matter the terrain; it pulls really well and I don't concern myself about whether this hill or that mountain is claimable, or whether it will handle steep downgrades. Maintenance, cost of fuel, etc (which I find minimal) be damned - the diesel works great for me. I'll get the extra cost out of it on the resale end. I believe it is why you see so many more diesels pulling 5th wheels and so few questions from folks about whether a diesel will get the job done.

One last thought - if trying to decide between 3/4 ton and 1 ton - get a one ton.
    Oh I am keeping up with this thread. Taking lots of notes. I take my time researching. Took me over a year to decide which RV we first wanted.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It's the crappy low grade diesel thats the issue. Just not enough lubriscosity for American CP4's.
    I just got back from dropping off my 19 Ram CTD for a 3rd brake light leak fix. Talked to the service rep and got the run down on the CP4. Do not run Bio (B20) Also if the CP4 goes then I'm screwed which I already new. My dealer is a decent size dealer and since the recall they've only done 20 CP4-CP3 change outs. I asked what the wait list time was. He said 1 yr. What sucks is thats just for the 2020's. There's still no fix for the 19's. He said I'd be better off having it fail vs waiting to get a recall fix. At least I'd be put to the front of the line. Interesting that they can fix my 19 if it fails but they won't authorize a recall fix yet. WT heck.

He also said to start running a fuel additive with lubriscosity. Seems like a cheap no brainer.
    The fix for the ‘19 was officially out on the 2nd. I am #28 at my local dealer, who told me, should be in February. Also on every dealer list within 100 miles.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    The fix for the ‘19 was officially out on the 2nd. I am #28 at my local dealer, who told me, should be in February. Also on every dealer list within 100 miles.
    Yeah just saw the Dec 2nd date later this morning. Good news. Not sure how you get in so early though. Everything I've read is FCA is only sending 1 CP3 a week to dealers. Thats 28 weeks or 7 months.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah just saw the Dec 2nd date later this morning. Good news. Not sure how you get in so early though. Everything I've read is FCA is only sending 1 CP3 a week to dealers. Thats 28 weeks or 7 months.
    Some dealers are getting several a week. Not sure how that plays out though. I was going to contact RAM and see if they are still doing reimbursements and do it myself with the S&S kit. May still do it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Some dealers are getting several a week. Not sure how that plays out though. I was going to contact RAM and see if they are still doing reimbursements and do it myself with the S&S kit. May still do it.
    Must be a volume sales thing. I asked my dealer about the reimbursement and he said ram wouldn't honor now that the recalls inforce.
    When I went back to pick up my Ram today the service rep mentioned that after I left he got the memo about 19's being eligible. Interesting though that he said they're only getting 1 pump every 3 weeks now. Issue being new truck allotments and now ECO diesels are being recalled for the CP4 as well. 60,413 more added. That alone is going to help suck the pool of HPFP dry. I'm just going to hang in there at this point. I can't see paying the prices they want for a new 2023. Half the dealers around me have diddle for inventory. I'm retired and don't use my truck much until next April or so, so if the HPFP tanks it's not like I'm all that inconvenienced.
    he did confirm that if it does grenade I get the next HPFP coming in.
    If by April things are still bad I may look at some options. Frustrating to say the least.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Did you do that mod yourself or take it in? After watching YouTube vids I'm thinking it's doable myself but curious what you did?
    I've had a 33 gallon RDS tank in my last 2 trucks. Pretty easy to install and plumb into the main tank. ford-truck.com forums covers a lot of different installations

Here are a few shots of my install. I used a solenoid valve to prevent any potential back flow in addition to a pump. I wired the pump and valve to an up fitter switch in my truck; running it 7 minutes puts 10 gallons into the main tank. Tanks come in all sizes and shapes. I choose mine so it fits under my tonneau cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8271157D-DEBF-49DC-B179-CD0EE21F9184.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	44081

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4951C555-AF54-41FA-8B64-5E1239C2E07C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	44082
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a volume sales thing. I asked my dealer about the reimbursement and he said ram wouldn't honor now that the recalls inforce.
    When I went back to pick up my Ram today the service rep mentioned that after I left he got the memo about 19's being eligible. Interesting though that he said they're only getting 1 pump every 3 weeks now. Issue being new truck allotments and now ECO diesels are being recalled for the CP4 as well. 60,413 more added. That alone is going to help suck the pool of HPFP dry. I'm just going to hang in there at this point. I can't see paying the prices they want for a new 2023. Half the dealers around me have diddle for inventory. I'm retired and don't use my truck much until next April or so, so if the HPFP tanks it's not like I'm all that inconvenienced.
    he did confirm that if it does grenade I get the next HPFP coming in.
    If by April things are still bad I may look at some options. Frustrating to say the least.
    Make sure you have good towing coverage and just drive it. The odds are it won't blow. If it does, then you get it fixed first. It could be worse. You could have a brand that is still ignoring the issue.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I've had a 33 gallon RDS tank in my last 2 trucks. Pretty easy to install and plumb into the main tank. ford-truck.com forums covers a lot of different installations

Here are a few shots of my install. I used a solenoid valve to prevent any potential back flow in addition to a pump. I wired the pump and valve to an up fitter switch in my truck; running it 7 minutes puts 10 gallons into the main tank. Tanks come in all sizes and shapes. I choose mine so it fits under my tonneau cover.
    Thanks for that. I am only referring to the S&B tank that replaces the OEM tank. We're getting a truck topper and have a short bed so an auxiliary tank wouldn't be as convenient and don't want to take up the bed space. But yours looks good.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one important consideration that anyone considering buying a diesel must take into account. There is a naturally occurring phenomenon that diesel owners will find maddening. Here is the scenario; enter a gas station with a dozen or more pumps. The station is totally empty except for the one Prius that is parked blocking access to the only diesel pump at the station. No owner in sight. There you are sitting waiting for that person to use the rest room, buy their instant lottery tickets, scratch them off. They then come out and pump their gas. Taking the time to give those few extra squeezes of the pump to make sure they are totally full. They get in the car, struggle to fasten their seatbelt, adjust their mirrors, and off they go.

Now you can pull up to the pump.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    There is one important consideration that anyone considering buying a diesel must take into account. There is a naturally occurring phenomenon that diesel owners will find maddening. Here is the scenario; enter a gas station with a dozen or more pumps. The station is totally empty except for the one Prius that is parked blocking access to the only diesel pump at the station. No owner in sight. There you are sitting waiting for that person to use the rest room, buy their instant lottery tickets, scratch them off. They then come out and pump their gas. Taking the time to give those few extra squeezes of the pump to make sure they are totally full. They get in the car, struggle to fasten their seatbelt, adjust their mirrors, and off they go.

Now you can pull up to the pump.
    Been their fir sure but they do the same thing in the gas lane and don't even get gas ! All about them and nobody else matters. One left their car running i wanted to hide it around the corner so bad !!
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast