User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMitt70 View Post
    There doesn’t seem to be any consistency on these orders. Some order and then have trucks a few months later, others take more than a year. I’ve had dealers say that certain trim packages (and some options) extend the order time. Our dealer said that (and this seems strange) that the spray-in bedliner was an option that would extend delivery (we did it locally, for half the price, after delivery). They also said that the adaptive steering and multi-camera system were long lead options. We already knew that we wanted the Lariat trim level and that excluded some of the longer lead items anyway. It’s crazy to me that these Super-Duty Trucks which represent a disproportionate portion of Ford’s gross margins are suffering such shortages and scarcity. I’m a big fan of EV’s, but there won’t be an EV that will do the job these 3/4 and 1 ton diesels trucks do for quite a while… In the mean time, these manufacturers seem to have head in arse disease. Also, I just hate the sales/delivery models the legacy auto manufacturers cling to. Forcing customers to order through a dealer is frankly ridiculous. For nearly everyone, these dealers add zero value to the transaction. In fact, they make it worse… and siphon margin from the manufacturer…dumb! I’m sure they have legal issues with distributor agreements, but they NEED to resolve those. We have a Tesla Model 3 and the order/delivery process was an absolute delight comparatively. The dealer model is a total dinosaur (which sorely deserves extinction).
    You are right…no consistency. I expected to wait a little longer for the deal that Granger was offering, but I expected to eventually get a truck. When they came back with another “6-9 months” on a shortened ‘23 model year, I’m got skeptical that would even happen. So then we may have been looking at a ‘24 model year, and who knows how many more months. They will eventually get things straightened out, but it looks like that’s a ways off yet.

The one really good Ford moderator on BlueOval has said many times that your order’s progress is highly dependent on the competency of the dealer (I’m paraphrasing). You would think Ford would want those inconsistencies to end for the benefit of their customers, but that hasn’t happened, and maybe it never will.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    So get rid of dealers???
    Who will service and warranty your vehicle?
    Again, look at Tesla….The dealers are reserved for those functions where they add value. Service is certainly the most obvious place where they do. Also, If a dealer wants to carry inventory, great… that’s a place where someone can get instant gratification. But ordering a vehicle?… they add no value (certainly NOT to me). Just allow direct orders… and direct delivery.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Tesla didn't have dealers?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no consistency because everyones order is different. If you load the top of the line truck up with every option (especially high tech options requiring computer chips) YOU have made your order more acceptable due to option shortages. When I ordered my Ram Big Horn without all the tech crap I had it in 3 months while all the Laramie Limited guys complained after hearing sunroofs we're another 3 months of delay. If you want it optioned like a Mercedes it will not be fast when global supply shortages are happening.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I thought Tesla didn't have dealers?
    Technically, you’re correct… they’re not dealers in the sense of these franchised stores that the legacy manufacturers have. As far as I know, they’re all corporate ‘Delivery/Service Centers’. We went to one to look at the model 3 before we bought. They actually have kiosks at the ‘Centers’ where you can order a car… or just do it from the Tesla website (it takes like 5 minutes… SUPER easy). Ultimately, we rented a 2021 model 3 on Turo (from a local owner)…drove it for 3 days and were sold, opened a bottle wine the night we returned the rental… wife and I sat in the back yard, enjoyed a glass (or two) of wine and ordered the car. No cubicles in a dealer, no back/forth with the ‘Sales Manager’, no true coat, no BS… Just nice wine and spanky new EV 3 months later (that was delivered to our driveway).
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically it's pay the full MSRP? Personally I hate dickering, which is why I don't buy many vehicles. But somehow the idea of paying exactly what the dealer/builder demands gives over all control to them. This works for Tesla now as there are very few EV builder/sellers, but what happens when the playing field levels and the scramble for buyers starts?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So basically it's pay the full MSRP? Personally I hate dickering, which is why I don't buy many vehicles. But somehow the idea of paying exactly what the dealer/builder demands gives over all control to them. This works for Tesla now as there are very few EV builder/sellers, but what happens when the playing field levels and the scramble for buyers starts?
    I get what you’re saying, but the difference with Tesla is that it’s the ONLY way to buy a new vehicle from them. I think of it terms of there not being a middle man (collecting a markup for what?… maybe if they carry the inventory). You’re right about a lack of competition, but that’s changing now and Tesla will have to stay competitive (that’s means they’ll have to produce new models and moderated their prices). If a person wants to buy a Tesla with the option/opportunity to negotiate price, they go to the secondary market. However, since Tesla’s prices for new vehicles are fixed and consistent across the entire market, you’re at no disadvantage (as a buyer) from a price perspective. Imagine if all Diesel truck purchases were handled in the same way (direct factory order at fixed prices)… on average, consumers would pay less and there would be none of the price gouging this market has produced in the last 3 years. Factory authorized service centers will, of course, always have a place (as long as they’re honest and competent). Ford initially announced that ALL their EV’s would be factory direct orders… then they walked that back a bit (because of contractural entanglements from distribution agreements… or so I’ve read). If they don’t remedy that, they will be at a distinct competitive disadvantage. There’s bound to be an EV manufacturer (not called Ford, GM or Dodge) that will challenge this market as well. Adapt or Die… EVERY business is subject to this reality.
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234