Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Smile Grand Design Social Media Summit

For those of you who follow the Facebook groups, you might have already seen this, but it took me longer to get home. LOL.

Grand Design called the Social Media admins to their home in IN to discuss how we all best serve our user communities. There was me from the Forum (Jim as also invited, but could not attend), and the Facebook groups for the main Owner's group, Momentum, Solitude, Imagine, and Transcend groups, as well as the Rally group. The Reflection group was not able to attend. There were some Facebook groups that were not invited as they are not necessarily productive groups.

The focus of the meeting was how Grand Design was going to help us in our mission of supporting you, without intruding on our boundaries. We all discussed how we make some synergy between the groups, but also keep them segmented as well. Without going into the "Inside Baseball" areas, I will tell you that it was productive all around. What was clear was that we are all different here. Different than any of the FB groups. Not better, but different. We aren't the biggest, but I believe that we are exceptionally influential.

There are some minor changes that will come from the summit for us. First off, as a courtesy, I have created a group for our Facebook Partner Admins. I invited them all to join, and to participate in the forum. They are all truly exceptional people, as you know if you have met any of them. Second, I am creating a "Offers and discounts" group. We will start offering more of these types of things. I don't consider them advertisements, but instead perks. If you don't want to use them, then don't. If you do, then you do so at your own decision. I am neither endorsing nor supporting them, just offering the vendors a place to provide the discount. Lastly, I expressed to GD that I expect greater involvement from them on the forum. Our partnership is not a one way street. If we are going to have a manufacturer section, then I expect them to participate. Otherwise we will sever our relationship with them. They agreed whole heatedly, and we will meet further to solidify these efforts. I was very pleased with their acknowledgement of lack of participation, and their desire to help us.

I am also going to create some different content around the Owners Forum team, my wife Michaela will be participating more in blogs and on the forum, Grand Design will be creating more of the content that you have asked for (I passed the survey results along to them too), and so will I. I will be creating more first timer content, some good info concerning weights, towing, etc that has been requested as well. And I will also be putting together some "Emergency" management content for those that run into problems. Each of the groups will be doing some things like this.

Ultimately, Grand Design stressed that they don't want to manage our content. We stressed that we didn't want that either. We're unique and fortunate in that we have a Manufacturer's section, but they were very respectful in making sure that we owned our content' and they wanted to help us to provide great content to you. They also really wanted us to know some of the information that comes up over and over again. We will all be working separately, and together to improve some things so that each of the groups provide similar "baseline" information. Then it is up to us to manage our separate communities.

Let me be clear. We will not be like Facebook. We can't be, we're built differently. We have a great formula here. I will not be creating more free content. I will not introduce advertising, and I will not change the way we run this forum. I had been leaning that way, but I was reminded why I run things the way that I do. If $12.00 is too much for our content, then I understand. I also know that what we have created here is unique, and absolutely amazing. By charging, we put a tension into the content that encourages solid participation. We don't get much of the riff raff. When we do, it doesn't last long. I also know we may miss out on some great things. If you believe that you have great things to offer, let me know. I will work something out with you. You can work off your $12.00. Our forum is fast, there are no tracking cookies, there are no ad cookies. Our site is secure on SSL, and runs blisteringly fast. Compared to other web forums, we rock. Our speed is SNAP!

At the end of the meeting, I was truly impressed. The Facebook teams are made up of great people. We have our differences, but ended up really appreciating each other's forums. Please let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything, or if you have any questions. I will share more on some of the things later. Plan on contests and SCHWAG! Lol. It was clear, after my visit, that Grand Design is special. They do things in their processes that are not matched in the industry.
    The Winnebago acquisition did not change the company. There have been challenges, and you all know them. The difference is how they are handled. We discussed a lot about how calls are handled, how people are handled, how people who discredit them are handled. I believe things will become more clear concerning that in the near future.

What became clear through all of the meetings was you. You are truly special. Your content, your wisdom, your creativity, your willingness to help each other, your comradery, and our forum family were especially recognized. I had many discussions about our content, and our members. Thank you, all of you for what you have built here. I was truly proud to represent you.

Thank you all very much.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds great Chris. I am at a campground and met an Imagine owner who came to look at my kayak rack...they were on facebook and never heard of our forum.....I love the give and take of this forum. Very helpful. I try to read everything as a just in case it happens to me! LOL I also try to share in my limited knowledge, and seems as though many on this forum do! Looking forward to more feedback and followup from Grand Design. Great job!!!!
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great feedback from the summit. Just the fact that a manufacturer would even host something like this says a lot. Obviously, those of us that have experienced GD's customer service know how they treat their customers, but I don't think I've heard of a manufacturer being this involved in a members forum or FB equivalent. I'm looking forward to see what involvement they have in the forum on a go forward basis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking The Grand Design RV Experience

Hi Chris!

I wasn't aware of the Summit meeting with Grand Design RV. I'm not surprised with Grand Design's involvement as I have experienced it first hand with my Solitude; however, they still impress me when they reach out to us owners. Great to hear that Grand Design's operations will remain the same despite being acquired by Winnebago as I am totally vested in "The Grand Design RV Experience" for the camaraderie, rallies, and most of all the client service! I want GD to be around a long time so I can keep enjoying The GD RV Experience and be able to buy a new GD RV sometime in the future.

I appreciate your summaries to keep abreast of the Website direction and other Grand Design interaction with owners. I didn't realize the Face Book Groups were separate as I'm not familiar with them. I only participate on this forum because of time commitment issues, so another reason I appreciate your summary.

Thanks for keeping us informed by providing such a detailed summary of the summit meeting. I am looking forward to the changes in the forum content. Money well spent!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

Although we are a newer member it is great that you have made this great forum. I have learned much here and hopefully may contribute something helpful sometime.
    My wife is on the facebook stuff (I am not ,too much unfiltered junk for me), she tells me a few thing once and a while and I know I made the right choice of being here and not there.
    It seems the folks on this forum are more in touch with the rv experience and that is great.
    Thanks for all that you do to keep this going.
    Also thanks to all the members for there contributions.
    It will be great to maybe have better communications with GD going forward.

Thanks
    Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet again, thank you Chris. You (Jim and the other mods) are wonderful. I truly appreciate your willingness to keep it ad free and private. I have learned greatly here and contribute to those that I can help in return. This forum is 100X more enjoyable then the facebook negativity. I am looking forward to good things to come. One thing I have noticed lately is an influx of "guest members" with only 1 or 2 posts that are much more negative than normal. It seems they are coming to complain rather then get help. Many times with issues that are more then addressable. Don't know if it is more newbees to RVing that didn't know what they are getting into or what... It does seem that more times than not the ones coming for real help are becoming site sponsors. Maybe it is getting near time to look at the "guest membership" access levels. By no means should people be shut out but negative posts and "guest" seem to go hand in hand...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I also was concerned about that new negativity. some may be venting or just trolling to stir the pot. But I have also seen where as the posts go on many do come around and realize that the forum and GD aren't that bad. Have seen where once their problems are resolved they have turned into productive members. Think maybe you're right about being newbies and not knowing what to expect or how to operate their RVs. To much control of newbies can send the wrong message and discourage new membership
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Jim, I also was concerned about that new negativity. some may be venting or just trolling to stir the pot. But I have also seen where as the posts go on many do come around and realize that the forum and GD aren't that bad. Have seen where once their problems are resolved they have turned into productive members. Think maybe you're right about being newbies and not knowing what to expect or how to operate their RVs. To much control of newbies can send the wrong message and discourage new membership
    Agreed and certainly don't have the answers nor want to turn anyone away but glad to see others are seeing the same thing. All of us accept (whether we should or not is different) an RV is a "work in progress"...

jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris - thank you, so much for taking the time to share your experience at the summit.....this is awesome ! Just having a manufacturer take the lead to conduct this is transformational and consistent with the industry leading GDRV business strategy.

Those of us particularly longer time GDRV owners who learned about GDRV business model early on (and have experienced it in practice) to see a highly elevated commitment to owners, dealers, and other stakeholders is unique and special. Carol and I have had the opportunity to communicate with a number of (and meet a few) GDRV folks over the years as well as meeting others last month and last week in our visits to the Customer Service Center, office, and tours. I have grown to really appreciate and share how wonderful these folks are in supporting the GDRV mission in the caring, prompt, and responsive service they provide. This is an incredible story that just keeps getting better.

Are there hiccups in the product and execution - absolutely. However, as I have shared on the forum and in my business and personal life the the distinction is "what happens next ?" And, what happens next is not a one way street on just what or how GDRV responds but how we as owners and other stakeholders respond as well.

Chris - you have created a valuable and much enjoyed forum with many helpful, caring, courteous, respectful, and civil owners. Your communications early on sharing the reasons why you do this rang the bell with me and many other forum folks I am sure. The forum mission (I am paraphrasing) was have a platform to share, learn, educate, have a little fun along the way, etc. to improve the RV product, improve the RV industry, and ultimately the RV experience. It seems clear to me that you are achieving this and GDRV shares your vision. Really good stuff !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    I’m new to the RV lifestyle and even newer to the forum, but it doesn’t take much time to realize how knowledgeable, caring, and thoughtful the members are and their willingness to share. I look forward to many years of membership and being part of the GD community. Thanks for all that you and the other admin do on our behalf.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast