User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panels for Lithium Batteries

Does it make any difference to charge my TWO 100Amp 12v Battleborn Lithium Batteries with ONE 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
    OR use TWO 100 Watt Solar Panels? May sound dumb but why would uses 2 panels instead of ONE.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Does it make any difference to charge my TWO 100Amp 12v Battleborn Lithium Batteries with ONE 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
    OR use TWO 100 Watt Solar Panels? May sound dumb but why would uses 2 panels instead of ONE.
    To answer your question simply, no. It relies on the charger controller.

On a more complicated note, of you have one panel, that is a single point of failure. Plus, if you are under shade, that one panel won't charge anything. If you have two, one at each end of the coach, you will still be able to charge the batteries, somewhat. Just remember to calculate the wire size for the current and distance.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Mark is partially correct. With two panels you can wire in series and double the PV output voltage, A good MPPT solar controller can use the higher voltage to provide higher charging amps over a PWM type solar controller. Victron makes some excellent MPPT controllers. Before choosing be sure the controller is rated for the panels output based on how you will install , both PV voltage and current - don't ask how I know.

The GD solar power Facebook page is an excellent resource and so is the GD technical web page found on their web site. Good luck with your project

Other good sources
    https://diysolarforum.com/members/will-prowse.1/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj...q8kmJme-5dnN0Q I recommend watching his entire series.

Have a great Easter
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information it really appreciated.