User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shut it down if it gets too hot, yes. How would you know? A few hundred for a device that does it for you is cheap insurance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, it is clearly stated in the manual why and how it occurs, and the consequences. As for not understanding what the manual says, John Wayne once said, "I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand."
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    Not sure how accurate this info is so I guess it’s unconfirmed.
    This post is intended to raise awareness of those owners with an open mind and keen interest to improve their RVing experience.
    Here's how I drastically improved my RV experience, propane fridges are not worth the trouble. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old fridge (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	32558 VS Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fridge done (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	32559
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offtohavasu- If you read the manual and understand the positives and negatives of operating an RV fridge I’d say you are in the minority camp. You fall into the know it all category and this post is not for you and your comment adds absolutely nothing to the subject. If your logic followed for auto accidents then there should never be one because everybody read the book and passed the test. So the real logic is that some people make it a point to learn everything they should to complete a task or operate a fridge safely and others couldn’t be bothered for one reason or another. Therefore, people in the can’t be bothered category need to be nudged or dragged to see the reasons they need to spend a little more time, effort or money to prevent themselves possible heart ache in the future. If this post makes a few “can’t be bothered” types to go back and read their manual and change some of their operating procedures or even purchase and install an ARP device on their RV because they can’t be bothered to pay attention to the position of their rig while travelling I’ll be happy!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how accurate this info is so I guess it’s unconfirmed. “On average there are approximately 4000 RV fires per year. It is reported that the number two cause is RV refrigerators.
    That wouldn't surprise me. We have a couple RV fires each winter in my RV park. Since I've been here, all have started with the RV fridge. This is one reason why I ordered my last two GD 5th wheels with residential fridges.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    txfivver- I’ve read about some RVer’s switching to, or ordering a unit with a residential fridge. It may be a reasonable solution for some, mainly full timers with power plants or solar systems but not very practical for many. Nothing worse than an RV fridge that doesn’t work properly. However, the absorption type fridge has been around for a long time and worked well for many RVers over the years. They do take a little more care and attention than the residential fridge. A little care and attention through educating ones self will lessen the chance of unknowingly damaging an RV fridge. The ARP device will fill a big hole left by the manufacturers who stand to gain by sales of replacement fridges damaged by over heating. The bottom line is the RV fridge works great for most owners who know how to take care of them.

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bertschb- I’ve watched several youtube videos of RV fires and can see how horrifying it would be to be right next to a unit on fire. It would be interesting to read an investigation report on the root cause of the fires. The accumulative affects of heat damage causing highly flammable ammonia to leak from a ruptured line and start on fire is the worst case scenario of off level operation over time. The purpose of my post is to make viewers on this site more informed of safe operation.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    txfivver- I’ve read about some RVer’s switching to, or ordering a unit with a residential fridge. It may be a reasonable solution for some, mainly full timers with power plants or solar systems but not very practical for many. Nothing worse than an RV fridge that doesn’t work properly. However, the absorption type fridge has been around for a long time and worked well for many RVers over the years. They do take a little more care and attention than the residential fridge. A little care and attention through educating ones self will lessen the chance of unknowingly damaging an RV fridge. The ARP device will fill a big hole left by the manufacturers who stand to gain by sales of replacement fridges damaged by over heating. The bottom line is the RV fridge works great for most owners who know how to take care of them.
    All good points and you are correct of course. My beef with RV fridges is they take way to long to cool down, I would turn mine on 3 days before a trip! They also do not maintain a steady temperature, especially in the freezer. The one I posted the pic of was the 18 cu ft Norcold out of my current trailer. On a hot Texas summer day about 40-42 degrees in fridge and 5-10 degrees in the freezer was the best you'd get. The Samsung gets down to 36-38 and -2 within 2-3 hours of turning it on. It runs all day on the batteries while towing with no issues and certainly no fire worries. We all like different things but a residential fridge is a no brainer to me. Thank you for the info on the ARB gadget though, I'm sure it will help someone. You do make a great point about the money in replacement fridges. The 18cu ft Norcold I had is priced at $4495 on their site! The Samsung can be found for about $1000-1100 at any Lowes or Home Depot. That sealed the deal for me.
    Last edited by Txfivver; 03-09-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    OK, I'm not going to Google an ARP so...
    What exactly does this device do or protect?
    Been driving around with one of these type reefers on two different RVs for years.
    What bullet exactly have I been dodging?
    I have the ARP Fridge defend too and love it. Their web site might give you a headache though, looks like it was written by someone's kid 15 years ago. It has a temp probe that goes on the boiler chamber to detect if it's getting overheated (like too hot if ran without fluid from being off-level, driven up a long grade, or just low on coolant) which prevents fires, and another probe on the cooling fins to control fans. Install was easy. I used their tiny in-fridge fan but thought their outside one was too loud. We don't have serious cooling problems so I just put in a couple of silent 140mm computer fans I had lying around for a little airflow boost.

We boondock so a residential fridge isn't really an option. My next trailer will have a 12v compressor fridge though.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 03-09-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so it's hard to determine what actually caused the fire to start with, after the unit is burned to the ground. Lets not forget about our insect friends and their nests in burner tubes that wreak havoc.

I think we all get that it is a nifty gadget to add to the mile long list of "wants" to owning an RV.

Give it another year and their won't be any more ammonia absorption fridges anymore ....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast