User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Why a buffer? As long as he is within the specs of his truck which he definitely will be he is fine

The manufacture you can guarantee already has a “buffer” in their specs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    For 1, most are not spot on, that anal in adding up our weights. The MFG likely adds some buffer but you gamble when you exceed it. (They add a little buffer when they tell you low fuel too right after 40 miles to empty, but I am not driving well into the 40 miles nor depending on that buffer). Every lb counts and when going up and more importantly down hills, I would not want to be close to the limit. There is too many variables in the equation when towing. IMO it is prudent to calculate in a buffer. Maybe others will, but I am not willing to gamble with my family.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload capacity of your truck is as little as 1750 lbs depending on options. The more options the less payload capacity. If you sibratct the 930 from the 1750 . You get 820 left of payload capacity in the truck you can carry without going over it’s max limit set by the manufacturer.

That may seem like a lot BUT average family of 4 ( 2 adults- 300 lb, 2 kids - 200 lbs) leaves you a measly 320 lbs left.
    Chairs, grill, rug, tools, clothes, food. Etc.

You are probably going to exceed your payload capacity.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Trailer brake is the law

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Trailer brake is not the law. Brakes on a trailer are required when the trailer is over 3000 pounds. And it does not require the trailer brake assist in the TW....which is what I am referring to. I wouldn't go without one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quote removed by moderator....

I see tons of people with loaded beds. The poster is new. What if he puts tools and heavy gear in the front of the trailer? It adds to the tongue weight.

Playing it safe and a bit more cautious versus living on the razors edge when traveling down the road is just plain prudent not crazy. Would he be fine being close to capacity, yes. Should he, as a newb? I for one don't think he should.

Please be a bit more tolerant and respectful of others opinions.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 03-13-2021 at 08:41 PM. Reason: removed the quote as the quoted post was just plain negative and not productive (the original post had already been removed)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    I see tons of people with loaded beds. The poster is new. What if he puts tools and heavy gear in the front of the trailer? It adds to the tongue weight.

Playing it safe and a bit more cautious versus living on the razors edge when traveling down the road is just plain prudent not crazy. Would he be fine being close to capacity, yes. Should he, as a newb? I for one don't think he should.

Please be a bit more tolerant and respectful of others opinions.
    Sorry, wasn’t meant disrespectfully. Hard to read “intent “ into internet post. If it came across that way I apologize.
    I certainly agree about playing it safe and not being on the razors edge. It’s why I bring up payload capacity often as it’s ignore by some or not really known by others. Advertising always sells towing capacity.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quoted post removed by moderator as original post was also deleted....

I think we all set up our trailers and tow vehicle to suit our own needs. There is no “ right way”.

In my experience in Maryland many of the stuff I listed before is carried in the towing vehicle. I didn’t even mention the generator. We have tons of room in our 6.4 foot bed of our Ram 2500 as well a a huge amount of room in the second seat in the cab. No need to “cram “ the garage area. We store our camp chairs, portable table, campground rug, generator, bed ramps, grill, tools,

We have four bins in that area.
    1- Bin One labeled for electric gear ( surge protector, 3 -25 ft 30 amp cords, all the adapters for the power). 2- Bin two contains water equipment filters and spare, pressure valve, 2 -75 ft collapsible hoses , small hose for black water rinse, slinky connections and spare parts.
    3- Bin 3 contains leveling stuff ( Anderson levelers, wood blocks and mats, x-chocks, drill and impact driver with fitting for “feet” , flashlights, torque wrenches. Air station.
    4- Bin 4 is cleaning products, RV wax, rags and Microsoft rags.
    WeBoost pole stored in garage. Hose caddy stored there also.

We are not minimalists and like to live comfortably. On the other hand we don’t bring lots of extra doo dads we don’t use.

https://camperreport.com/camper-weight/
    Last edited by traveldawg; 03-13-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed quoted post (which has also been deleted)
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    My Silverado does not have the max tow package. I'll tell you, all the acronyms and numbers (GCWR, GCVWR, etc) totally confuses me. I've done my best to plug all the numbers in to the towing calculators and that I can find and I think that what they are saying is that my truck is capable of towing my trailer fine. I know that it will have to pay close attention to what load that trailer up with. One thing that I didn't account for was a full tank of gas when I was calculating. Based on the recommendations of the RV dealership I bought a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch which i hope helps.

I kind of feel like my wife and i jumped into buying this trailer a little too fast. When we first looked at the 260RB the RV dealership told me that my Colorado would pull the trailer just fine and all the specs were within limits. I felt really uncomfortable with that and knew that it would be dangerous to pull the trailer with my Colorado. Just looking at the Colorado next to the trailer common sense told me that was a bad idea. The 260RB checked all that boxes that we were looking for in a travel trailer so we decided to trade my Colorado in on a new 1500 Silverado figuring that if the Colorado could pull it surly the Silverado could pull it safely. For now we will have to deal with what we have and maybe down the road we will trade for a bigger truck. I just have a hard time spending $70k on a pickup.
    Your truck should tow it just fine. I just sold my 2018 GMC Denali with the 6.2L engine. It did not have the tow package but was still rated a 9,300 to capacity and towed my 22MLE with out an issue. Of course I did use a Reese Stead-I-Flex WD Hitch. I now have a 2021 Chevy LTZ with the HD trailer Package and the 6,2L engine. This truck has a tow capacity of 11,900 lbs. I do like the 6.2 as it has a lot of power and torque (420hp, 460 ft/lbs of torque). Big tow difference with the HD tow package. Lower gear ratio, bigger cooling system and heavy duty rear end with HD springs
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    machwun, rv sailor,
    I edited your posts (both which were fine) just to remove the post you quoted. Both your posts were fine. What you quoted was deleted earlier and we're just clearing up some stuff.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    My wife and I are thinking about getting a Transcend 260RB and I just bought a 2021 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter engine. I don't want to have to replace my truck since it's brand new. Will my Silverado pull the 260RB safely? I am looking for opinions.
    We are towing a 2020 Transcend 30RBS with a 2019 Silverado 1500 lease. I have the 6.2 Liter engine and the 3.23 rear end.
    Although we are close to capacity (800lb hitch weight) it pulls fine. I use the E2 round bar WDH.
    It’s only my wife, me and about a 105 pounds worth of dogs in the cab. The only thing we put in the bed is a container of firewood.

We never carry water and are careful how we load. We ran into a pretty strong crosswind last fall. Although we did have some sway in the high wind, we didn’t have any “white knuckle” moments. The sway control did a great job of keeping the trailer behind us. Trucks passing us are a non-event. I never pull faster than 60-65MPH.

I did add a set of Sumo helper “springs” which helped with the “porpoising” on rougher roads. They’re about $200.00 from eTrailer and only take a few minutes to install. I think these newer trucks are sprung way too soft to give a “car like” ride. My 2016 Silverado seemed to be stiffer than my 2019.

We weren’t really in the market for a new trailer as we were very happy with our 2016 Passport, but we got such a good deal on the Transcend, we couldn’t pass it up.

When my current lease expires in 2022, I will buy a 2500 Silverado, but until then, I’m comfortable pulling my trailer with my current truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 2021 GD Imagine 2600rb in December. I pulled it home with a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 which the dealer stated was perfectly fine. Allowable tongue weight was 940 lbs. and cargo weight was 1,600lbs. Yes it pulled the trailer home and if I was only planning to drive it to northern Michigan a few hours could probably do.
    We are planning to travel the states though and to feel more comfortable and confident I traded out my 12,000 mile 1500 for a 2021 GMC Sierra 2500AT4 with Duramax.
    Yes the 1500 would have pulled it and been within limits but I didn’t feel comfortable the thought of traveling through the mountains.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast