User Tag List

Thread: 2500rl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500rl

I have my mind set up on a 2500RL.

I have a Tradesman 2014 Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed auto trans. axel ratio 3.55
    Quad Cab 6'4" box
    Payload 1429
    GVWR 6800
    Towing Capacity 8650
    GCWR 14150
    GAWR 3900 each

I would to keep this truck for at least 8 more month or a year. It's only my wife and I.

What I want to know is, do you think my truck will handle this trailer with no problem?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won’t have any problems
    Just make sure to invest in a quality hitch

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same 2500rl trailer here- 15% of 7200 trailer is 1080 lbs on the hitch.
    2 adults is about 300 lbs so you are at almost 1400 lbs without anything in the truck. Hitch will be another 150-200 lbs.

Your Ram 1500 has
    1,212 to 2,302 lbs Payload capacity
    If you haven’t exceeded it you are at its upper limit for sure.
    I didn’t feel that a 1500 was enough for this trailer. Many reasons including legal ones of knowingly exceeding the vehicles payload capacity. For safety we chose the 2500.

Then there is the effort put forth my the 1500 truck vs the 2500 truck. It won’t show its wear when new as you take from its expected life struggling deal with the weight stressing its rear.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Same 2500rl trailer here- 15% of 7200 trailer is 1080 lbs on the hitch.
    2 adults is about 300 lbs so you are at almost 1400 lbs without anything in the truck. Hitch will be another 150-200 lbs.

Your Ram 1500 has
    1,212 to 2,302 lbs Payload capacity
    If you haven’t exceeded it you are at its upper limit for sure.
    I didn’t feel that a 1500 was enough for this trailer. Many reasons including legal ones of knowingly exceeding the vehicles payload capacity. For safety we chose the 2500.

Then there is the effort put forth my the 1500 truck vs the 2500 truck. It won’t show its wear when new as you take from its expected life struggling deal with the weight stressing its rear.
    A hitch will weigh much less than that and unsure what extra wear you are referring to
    And private RV vehicles are not subjected to scales so it would never be known “legally” if the payload was exceeded

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    A hitch will weigh much less than that and unsure what extra wear you are referring to
    And private RV vehicles are not subjected to scales so it would never be known “legally” if the payload was exceeded

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    I apologize for my error. It was exactly 96.3 lbs as I weighed it and the shank tonight

Maybe the rules are different in Canada but in the states at times RV can be required to get on the scales. I only respond because your misinformation should not go unanswered. There are some states that if you gross weight is over 10,000 lbs you are required to go through the inspection scales. There is no exemption because it’s not commercial.

The following is from another RV site:
    F350 work trucks get yank all the time at the NJ / Pa. Coming into PA from the Jersey TPK extension at the toll booths on the right hand side right behind the toll booths sits the DOT mobile units. Anything tagged 10,000 lbs or more gets yanked. Only if they are enforcing it for the day.
    I can tell you for a fact, in Florida I'm been pulled over in a rental cargo van for passing the scales. I just played dumb and got a warning. Florida and Virginia have posted signs "any vehicle over 5 tons must pass thru the scales, public, commercial or private.

Now as far a practicality most RV are not monitored for violating payload capacity. BUT.....I know of two individuals which were involved in accidents who were accused of towing a wehicle exceeding their payload limits and that his “swaying” was causation of the accident. The insurance companies argued it out. He was found to exceeed his F150 payload capacity when the weighed and reviewed his vehicle and trailer. He was then found to be at fault in the accident for sideswiping the SUV
    His insurance company dropped him after paying the claim.

Maybe you are used to flaunting the legal limits which are there for vehicle safety. I’m not. I would like to beleive that all pulling the trailers are observing the correct limits.

I also stated about stressing the suspension of a tow vehicle by carrying near or over its payload capacity. Wont show up when new but definitely will wear it out more quickly. Especially if you use it to pull a trailer with lots of grades in the mountains.

The OP said it was for only 8 months so it sounds like his is looking to remain within his vehicles limits. My answer was anecdotal with the same trailer, same Ram vehicle just a 2500 vs his 1500. My information was to help him in making choices.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zahzoo View Post
    I have my mind set up on a 2500RL.

I have a Tradesman 2014 Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed auto trans. axel ratio 3.55
    Quad Cab 6'4" box
    Payload 1429
    GVWR 6800
    Towing Capacity 8650
    GCWR 14150
    GAWR 3900 each

I would to keep this truck for at least 8 more month or a year. It's only my wife and I.

What I want to know is, do you think my truck will handle this trailer with no problem?
    The truck is under sized for the trailer. Will it pull the trailer, yes. Do many others pull trailers with undersized trucks, yes. Will it pull the trailer safely and comfortably in all conditions and at all speeds, no.

The suspension is not robust enough regardless of wear and tear on the truck, and in emergency situations, some weather conditions and mountain passageways you will feel it. Cheers!
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500rl

Yup go buy a 450. Minimum you will need for this trailer in this forum

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500rl

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I apologize for my error. It was exactly 96.3 lbs as I weighed it and the shank tonight

Maybe the rules are different in Canada but in the states at times RV can be required to get on the scales. I only respond because your misinformation should not go unanswered. There are some states that if you gross weight is over 10,000 lbs you are required to go through the inspection scales. There is no exemption because it’s not commercial.

The following is from another RV site:
    F350 work trucks get yank all the time at the NJ / Pa. Coming into PA from the Jersey TPK extension at the toll booths on the right hand side right behind the toll booths sits the DOT mobile units. Anything tagged 10,000 lbs or more gets yanked. Only if they are enforcing it for the day.
    I can tell you for a fact, in Florida I'm been pulled over in a rental cargo van for passing the scales. I just played dumb and got a warning. Florida and Virginia have posted signs "any vehicle over 5 tons must pass thru the scales, public, commercial or private.

Now as far a practicality most RV are not monitored for violating payload capacity. BUT.....I know of two individuals which were involved in accidents who were accused of towing a wehicle exceeding their payload limits and that his “swaying” was causation of the accident. The insurance companies argued it out. He was found to exceeed his F150 payload capacity when the weighed and reviewed his vehicle and trailer. He was then found to be at fault in the accident for sideswiping the SUV
    His insurance company dropped him after paying the claim.

Maybe you are used to flaunting the legal limits which are there for vehicle safety. I’m not. I would like to beleive that all pulling the trailers are observing the correct limits.

I also stated about stressing the suspension of a tow vehicle by carrying near or over its payload capacity. Wont show up when new but definitely will wear it out more quickly. Especially if you use it to pull a trailer with lots of grades in the mountains.

The OP said it was for only 8 months so it sounds like his is looking to remain within his vehicles limits. My answer was anecdotal with the same trailer, same Ram vehicle just a 2500 vs his 1500. My information was to help him in making choices.
    I would much rather be around a truck and trailer with the driver knowing he was close to capacity than the fella who thinks he can tow the moon doing 70-75 with a 2500

Bottom line is he will never be subjected or a scale and after an accident I would love to know how they could determine anything
    It isn’t about flaunting rules it is about enjoying your life
    Unbelievable that you think this trailer is too much for a half ton
    Would love to know with citations what items will fail on his truck vs a 2500

And what states require a gross weight over 10000 lbs pull in?
    That is every trailer on the road

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    Last edited by NB Canada; 02-13-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As most are telling/saying, you are at about the theoretical limit of your 1500. Knowing that is important to know and plan around. I tow my 2500rl with a 2019 Rebel and it does a fine job as long as the wind is less than 25 mph. Around that speed the crosswinds blow me around enough that I don’t like it so I plan accordingly.