User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Should not the coupler ball be greased? See no evidence of that. I grease my goose necks - coupler and ball before used. Use a split tennis ball during storage.
    I looked at the installation instructions and it doesn't say one way or the other. The hitch doesn't rotate on the coupler ball and is supposed to stay in one spot on the ball.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Should not the coupler ball be greased? See no evidence of that. I grease my goose necks - coupler and ball before used. Use a split tennis ball during storage.
    There is no movement on the ball.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    There is no movement on the ball.
    Then something abnormal is happening for the ball to show the wear pattern in the picture. Definitely some movement happening.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I am still completely puzzled by the wear on the gooseneck ball. I am wondering if the dealer put a worn ball in when I bought the hitch. I paid for a new one, but the only way I can see that type of wear happening is if the ball had previously been installed in a different application...

I agree with the thought that this may have been a used ball. Mine hasn’t worn at all, and the chrome looks like new.

Originally Posted by powerscol: Should not the coupler ball be greased? See no evidence of that. I grease my goose necks - coupler and ball before used. Use a split tennis ball during storage.

The ball in question is in the bed of the truck, not the one that is hooked up to the trailer (there are two balls at play in this setup). As you stated, the ball in the bed should have no play, so should not need any grease. As a side-note, I’ve never greased the upper ball either.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    ...I am still completely puzzled by the wear on the gooseneck ball. I am wondering if the dealer put a worn ball in when I bought the hitch. I paid for a new one, but the only way I can see that type of wear happening is if the ball had previously been installed in a different application...

I agree with the thought that this may have been a used ball. Mine hasn’t worn at all, and the chrome looks like new.
    The used ball seems to be the only answer that makes sense. I told my wife it sounds like a conspiracy theory but I can't come up with any other reason LOL.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    Hi,
    I removed my AUH today and noticed some unexpected wear on both the Curt gooseneck ball and the Andersen coupler tube. Of the two, the coupler tube is a far bigger concern.

Below is a picture of the coupler tube: Attachment 32148

The coupler bolts have worn about 2/3 of the way through the coupler tube. The indentations from the coupler bolts into the coupler tube are about 0.15" deep and the material for the tube is only 0.22" thick. I am wondering if other users of the AUH have seen this type of wear as well.

The lesser concern, and maybe more of a curiosity, is the wear on the Curt gooseneck ball. Below is a picture of the ball. Attachment 32149 I am really surprised to see so much wear on the ball due to the way the hitch connects to the ball. The only point that the hitch connects to the ball is through the pin in the coupler tube, which is only at one point on the ball. I would have expected there to just be wear at a few spots on the ball, not all across the surface as shown in the picture. It looks like the coupler pin is wearing the entire surface, which could only happen if the coupler pin is moving up and down and across the ball. I can't see how this can happen, but it definitely is wearing somehow. I am curious if this same wear is seen by other AUH users as well.

I have contacted Andersen about the coupler tube to get their feedback and ordered a new coupler tube as well. I planned to go on my first trip of 2021 on Sunday but those plans may be on hold until I get the new coupler. Any feedback from AUH users on their experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Bob
    Hi BobKilmer,

Another thing is that you should torque the ball down first (before side bolts). They recommend to torque it to 60# before and after the trailer pin is down on it but I do it before because I cannot fit my torque wrench under the ball once installed. It has always been rock solid. Also there is some slack to take up (front to back) on the hitch before you torque that top bolt which affects the side bolts. Only after that, should you torque the side bolts to 40#. I made that mistake a few times when new and have a little marking from that but otherwise, the system has worked flawless. Every time I take the hitch out, I inspect for damage, cracked paint around welds etc. and also the inner square tube. I have a factory GM spray in bed liner and hitch has never moved, nor does it make any marks in the bed. Hope that helps.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bob! Andersen Mfg has a great customer service dept. They did for me anyway. They sell a bunch of those hitches. I can't imagine they have not had a situation like yours before.
    Best to you!

(800) 635-6106

Customer Service Available:

Mon-Thu – 8 AM to 4:30 PM (Mountain time)

Fri – 8 AM to 3:30 PM (Mountain time)
    Bob & Pam
    2019 F250 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 6.2L Gasser with no mods and-3.73 gear ratio - Andersen Ultimate Hitch
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    Central Iowa

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since Sep. of 2019 I have traveled 25K miles mostly out west. I have a F350 Powerstroke and a 2017 Grand Design Solitude 321RL and it is solid. I’m very happy with my Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    Hi,
    I removed my AUH today and noticed some unexpected wear on both the Curt gooseneck ball and the Andersen coupler tube. Of the two, the coupler tube is a far bigger concern.

Below is a picture of the coupler tube: Attachment 32148

The coupler bolts have worn about 2/3 of the way through the coupler tube. The indentations from the coupler bolts into the coupler tube are about 0.15" deep and the material for the tube is only 0.22" thick. I am wondering if other users of the AUH have seen this type of wear as well.

The lesser concern, and maybe more of a curiosity, is the wear on the Curt gooseneck ball. Below is a picture of the ball. Attachment 32149 I am really surprised to see so much wear on the ball due to the way the hitch connects to the ball. The only point that the hitch connects to the ball is through the pin in the coupler tube, which is only at one point on the ball. I would have expected there to just be wear at a few spots on the ball, not all across the surface as shown in the picture. It looks like the coupler pin is wearing the entire surface, which could only happen if the coupler pin is moving up and down and across the ball. I can't see how this can happen, but it definitely is wearing somehow. I am curious if this same wear is seen by other AUH users as well.

I have contacted Andersen about the coupler tube to get their feedback and ordered a new coupler tube as well. I planned to go on my first trip of 2021 on Sunday but those plans may be on hold until I get the new coupler. Any feedback from AUH users on their experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Bob
    The indents on the tube are from over torquing the lock bolts, the tube is aluminum and the bolts are meant to take up any slack not lock it in place, if you follow my drift. What you are seeing on the gooseball is rust bleeding through the chrome, nothing really detrimental just a poor chrome job. It is apparent at the base as well. I have a Curt Double Lock gooseball that is stainless steel so the corrosion isn't an issue. I have over 11,500 miles on mine and all is looking good.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-20-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got about 5000 miles on mine towing a Solitude 310GK and have had no problems or signs of wear. I did change from the standard ball to the Andersen bed shaft simply because it seems to be more stable and provides more "surface to surface" contact inside the coupler tube.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast