User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I am towing a 25 ft GD21BHE at UVWR of 4,700lbs and loaded it is 6,300. Sounds like I am in reasonable territory?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
    yes it is.
    Is this in response to my question about the tongue weight?

Even if that is distributed weight it seems low

I would be curious to know what the tongue actual weight is

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the fully loaded trailer weighs less than the Sequoia's tow capacity, that's great. But I am worried about your cargo capacity. I am a simple kind of guy, hate math. I like to see a tag on the car door that has gross weight and empty weight for and cargo capacity. My new truck has all three on that tag.

If yours doesn't you get to do math. Gross weight - empty weight (includes fuel) = cargo capacity. All the stuff you put in the car, plus the hitch and trailer weight at the hitch counts as cargo. Put it all in the car, load the trailer, and get the car weighed, with the trailer attached. The car can't weight more than the gross weight number. Go to a CAT scale.

Weigh the trailer fully loaded, weight the tongue weight alone.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right? My hitch weight is 456 lbs. (weighed at truck stop). We are planning several trips this year, so want to be as safe as possible with current TV.

Something not right with a hitch weight of 450....if your trailer loaded was only 3000 lbs. ( 3000 x .15= 450) . You said the trailer is rated at 4700 which common % is 15% = the hitch weight . That means your hitch weight should be 705 lbs. A sequoia has a very small PAYLOAD capacity of 1300-1370 in’s. Payload capacity is a important as towing capacity. That would mean using your numbers the weight in the SUV to stay under its capacity can be no more than 900 lbs to not exceed its limit.

By your figures and Toyota your weight of the Sequoia is 6000. + your claimed 4700 ( 10,700) means your gear is that figure from your total weighed of 12300 equaling 1600lbs. You are 700 lbs over payload capacity. Way over, not even close by your figures.

The Sequoia is a very nice luxury SUV however does not have the true suspension, brakes, axel, transmission of even a 1500 truck. It’s a passenger car. Yes you can get away with towing with it but at what cost. The engine really makes no difference.
    Yes you can tow in moderate conditions but windy no or your tail will wag the dog. You don’t really know how stable you are compared to a correct towing vehicle. To do that you need to try one.

Sure many will tell you not to worry on here , with stories of them ignoring being over payload capacity. but safety to me is paramount.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I am towing a 25 ft GD21BHE at UVWR of 4,700lbs and loaded it is 6,300. Sounds like I am in reasonable territory?
    Just pointing out an inconsistency

6300 lbs x normal hitch % of 15 ( industry %) = 945 lbs vrs the 450 you claimed as hitch weight , more than twice what you claim. Even at 10% would be 630 lbs. subtracted from payload capacity of your Sequoia would leave a paltry 700 lbs in the SUV.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tow 7,000lbs and GVWR is 6.600 for total combined vehicle weight rating of 13,600. I weighed at a truck stop and it came in at 12.300 total combined weight rating. the Sequoia seems to pull fine with distribution hitch and sway bar. I do get some sway in the wind, but don't think any vehicle can compensate for that right? My hitch weight is 456 lbs. (weighed at truck stop). We are planning several trips this year, so want to be as safe as possible with current TV.
    Your setup sounds good and within the capacity of your tow vehicle. I suspect your sway is due to being a little light on the tongue weight. You want to get to the 12% range typically to avoid some sway at higher speeds, although you are right to say that wind will almost always still move the billboard you are towing to some degree.

My setup is similar, and scaled out similar, and it is noticeably better to tow with 1/3 fresh water filled versus empty. That extra tongue weight, if you have the payload for it, can help.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hitch do you have?

From your quote above I am thinking you are using a base hitch with a separate sway control. Maybe I am wrong.
    A quality hitch with 4 point integrated sway control is a must for any vehicle
    If you have a quality hitch I would suggest getting some more weight upfront and run with it
    Keep speed always at 63-65 and enjoy

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Something not right with a hitch weight of 450....if your trailer loaded was only 3000 lbs. ( 3000 x .15= 450) . You said the trailer is rated at 4700 which common % is 15% = the hitch weight . That means your hitch weight should be 705 lbs. A sequoia has a very small PAYLOAD capacity of 1300-1370 in’s. Payload capacity is a important as towing capacity. That would mean using your numbers the weight in the SUV to stay under its capacity can be no more than 900 lbs to not exceed its limit.

By your figures and Toyota your weight of the Sequoia is 6000. + your claimed 4700 ( 10,700) means your gear is that figure from your total weighed of 12300 equaling 1600lbs. You are 700 lbs over payload capacity. Way over, not even close by your figures.

The Sequoia is a very nice luxury SUV however does not have the true suspension, brakes, axel, transmission of even a 1500 truck. It’s a passenger car. Yes you can get away with towing with it but at what cost. The engine really makes no difference.
    Yes you can tow in moderate conditions but windy no or your tail will wag the dog. You don’t really know how stable you are compared to a correct towing vehicle. To do that you need to try one.

Sure many will tell you not to worry on here , with stories of them ignoring being over payload capacity. but safety to me is paramount.
    Huh? You are putting all of the gross gear weight of 1600 lbs on the tv. Most of that is on the trailer axles not the tv
    And I believe his 456 figure (although actually the same as the factory base number) is with the weight bars attached from earlier conversations but the OP hasn’t been clear

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 21bhe has a GVWR of 5895 so unless your tire and loading label says different your trailer is overloaded by more than 400 lbs.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    My 2020 21bhe has a GVWR of 5895 so unless your tire and loading label says different your trailer is overloaded by more than 400 lbs.
    The GVWR of a 21bhe on GD website is 6400 lbs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast