User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekender01 View Post
    This will allow you to plug in your RV, but unless you do something to address the voltage from 240V down to a 110V you will fry appliances, motors, etc in your RV. YOU REALLY NEED AN ELECTRICIAN who knows about RV voltage.
    Huh?

A 50 amp RV plug is 240V with a neutral. Inside the breaker box on the trailer the phases are split and there's a neutral creating the 120V. If you measure across both main breakers you'll have 240V.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will allow you to plug in your RV, but unless you do something to address the voltage from 240V down to a 110V you will fry appliances, motors, etc in your RV. YOU REALLY NEED AN ELECTRICIAN who knows about RV voltage.
    Your 50 amp RV panel is supplied with 240V (two 110V feeds lets call them 110A and 110B) there's nothing to reduce down; it is just distributed in a way that you cannot access the two different 110V feeds at the same time with a 2-pole circuit breaker (only the the main 50A breaker gets this). All the circuit breakers on one side are supplied by the same 110V feed, and all the circuit breakers on the other side of the panel are fed by the other 110V feed. In a house breaker panel the breakers are feed by alternating 110V feeds (110A-110B-110A-110B etc) to get 240V with a 2-pole breaker. The RV panel is designed so that both feeds are not available in a side by side way to get two different 110V feeds at the same time.

Back to the original question. If the mooch outlet is a 4 wire 30A/240 outlet, you can just use one of these.

"NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R 120V/240V 30 Amp 4 Prong Male to 50 Amp 4 Prong Female adapter"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not correct. A 50A RV uses standard North American 240V split phase power just like a home. The neutral provides the 120V tap.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual, I'm late to the conversation but I feel I should add my two cents.

As a few here have suggested, it is possible to make this work. I actually carry with me several different plugs that I can wire up as needed.. I even have a pigtail that I can connect directly to a breaker. But I never to anything before I put my meter on it and am sure that I understand how that receptacle or panel is wired. In my experience, outlets are often miswired and the consequences of connecting to the wrong voltage can be disastrous. Both in terms of equipment and life. Please fully understand what you are doing before you start making up adapters.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    You can not make 220V by combining two 110s. What you want to do is easy if you know what you are doing, dangerous to you and your rig if you do not.
    I concur. Most 220 volt dryer outlets DO NOT have a NEUTRAL (white wire) connection! Do not, under any circumstances, try to use the bare ground wire as a neutral. That is very dangerous.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    I concur. Most 220 volt dryer outlets DO NOT have a NEUTRAL (white wire) connection! Do not, under any circumstances, try to use the bare ground wire as a neutral. That is very dangerous.
    4 wire has been code for something like 20 years, so the old style are becoming less common.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    As usual, I'm late to the conversation but I feel I should add my two cents.

As a few here have suggested, it is possible to make this work. I actually carry with me several different plugs that I can wire up as needed.. I even have a pigtail that I can connect directly to a breaker. But I never to anything before I put my meter on it and am sure that I understand how that receptacle or panel is wired. In my experience, outlets are often miswired and the consequences of connecting to the wrong voltage can be disastrous. Both in terms of equipment and life. Please fully understand what you are doing before you start making up adapters.
    That's pretty much my plan. We're in a park now, and I'll be metering the 50A connection here; basically what reads what across any 2 terminals. This tells me what I should see at my friend's.

When we get to my friend's place, I'll be metering the exact same connections on the adapter he made. If they're the same as the park, then I plug in my EMS, and see how it reacts, and measure again on its output.

If anything doesn't jibe, we don't connect, and it's back to the drawing board.

The point of my original question was to find out if anyone had done it successfully, and how they did it.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    That's pretty much my plan. We're in a park now, and I'll be metering the 50A connection here; basically what reads what across any 2 terminals. This tells me what I should see at my friend's.

When we get to my friend's place, I'll be metering the exact same connections on the adapter he made. If they're the same as the park, then I plug in my EMS, and see how it reacts, and measure again on its output.

If anything doesn't jibe, we don't connect, and it's back to the drawing board.

The point of my original question was to find out if anyone had done it successfully, and how they did it.
    Just as a suggestion here, when you get to your friends house, if there are only THREE terminals on his recept....don't even think about it. If there are FOUR terminals, it is possible, but it still behooves you to check voltages on the recept. before you even try to plug anything into it, to make 100% sure that it is wired correctly.

Hot terminal to neutral should equal ~120VAC
    The same hot neutral to ground should equal ~120VAC
    Second hot terminal to neutral should equal ~120VAC
    First hot terminal to second hot terminal should equal ~240VAC

ANYTHING OTHER than those numbers above will equal TROUBLE for you. And if you do not know exactly how to identify and check those terminals/voltage.....walk away until you are 100% sure.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Just as a suggestion here, when you get to your friends house, if there are only THREE terminals on his recept....don't even think about it. If there are FOUR terminals, it is possible, but it still behooves you to check voltages on the recept. before you even try to plug anything into it, to make 100% sure that it is wired correctly.

Hot terminal to neutral should equal ~120VAC
    The same hot neutral to ground should equal ~120VAC
    First hot terminal to second hot terminal should equal ~240VAC

ANYTHING OTHER than those numbers above will equal TROUBLE for you. And if you do not know exactly how to identify and check those terminals/voltage.....walk away until you are 100% sure.
    Neutral to ground should be ZERO volts. Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hughj555 View Post
    Neutral to ground should be ZERO volts. Am I missing something?
    No, you're not missing anything. Neutral and ground are at the same exact voltage potential.....ZERO. That is because the neutral and the ground are bonded together in the breaker panel. If the recept. only has three terminals at it, it will not have a neutral and the result will be the two hot terminals will have 240VAC across them.....and NO, it's not OK to use the ground as a neutral connection. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast