User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gauge is this common/ground wire? Many times the ground is smaller and it may not be able to carry the load.

I am sure that running the common and ground together is not code either. The ground should have no current on it unless something fails.

If the common/ground wire looses connection between the outlet and the electric panel in the house the camper chassis will be hot and deadly. This would not just be leakage current like a typical "hot skin" condition. With a separate common you may fry electronics if it the common fails but it is not a safety issue.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the Gauge is, but I'll ask him ...what would be appropriate?

As for an electrical failure such as you mentioned, would my Watchdog Power Protector protect me/the RV in this situation?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gauge would depend on the breaker size, it should be the same size as the hot leads to use as a common.

Your watchdog may protect you. I don't know enough about it to say either way. Will this outlet ever be used for something else?
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    ...Thanks, but can you tell me what "shock hazard conditions" you are referring to?
    The ground connected is not designed to carry any current, it exists solely for electrical fault protection. Connecting the neutral to the ground conducter creates current flow in the ground conductor. Current flow in the ground wire can create shock hazards on anything connected to the ground wire, e.g., metal cases of equipment. Bonding the neutral to the ground is only permitted at the main service panel by the NEC.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks; I'll check with him this evening on how well the breaker-gauge match or not.
    And, this Outlet will only be used for my RV -- until I leave in about one month.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK; I'm only staying one month.
    Nothing else will be connected to this Outlet.
    But I'll have to check with him about any other Ground connections, if that's a different question/scenario?
    ...And do you have any thoughts about my Watchdog Power Protector preventing issues back to my RV?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me just say this....NEVER BOND THE NEUTRAL AND THE GROUND ANYWHERE DOWNSTREAM OF THE ELECTRICAL BREAKER PANEL....NEVER! The breaker panel box already has a neutral/ground bond in it. Bonding the neutral/ground wires downstream of the breaker panel can and will create a dangerous situation, causing the ground wire to be carrying electrical current....and...is a direct violation of the National Electrical Code for just that reason. And device downstream of the electrical panel that is wired like that creates an extreme shock hazards....and that shock might just be YOU.....or your neighbor's child. Do NOT do it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scary Post

Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    50A is 220V.
    There is NOT any 220 V use in a 50 amp RV Circuit. It would destroy every electrical appliance in the rig and more.
    Last edited by dsasay; 03-31-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, does anyone have any additional comments about how my Hughes AutoFormers 50 Amp Watchdog EPO (Emergency Power Off) Surge Protector would work with regard to a malfunction in the wiring we've been discussing here?

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
    [/URL]
    The 50 amp Power Watchdog Smart Surge Protector + EPO (emergency power off) offers a powerful 4,800 Joules of advanced surge protection for your coach. Our Patented Power Watchdog + EPO is the world’s first smart surge guard and surge protector with built-in Bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone in real time! Get text alerts of dangers before something catastrophic happens. The new EPO (emergency power off) units will automatically SHUT DOWN power if there are dangerous conditions of too high or low voltage, open ground or open neutral as well as more.

Unit automatically shuts down power if voltage drops below 104 V or over 132 V. Once power conditions are good and stable for 90 seconds, the unit will turn back on automatically.

World’s first advanced Smart Surge Protector with EPO (Emergency Power Off)
    4,800 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection
    Smart Circuit Analyzer will shut down power to RV if a dangerous event occurs. An alert will be sent to your smartphone
    Plug-n-play – only 4 second delay power on after plugging in (others brands are up to 2 mins)
    Built in 90 second Power-on delay to protect your AC.
    Wirelessly Monitor Volts & Amps & Watts on your Smartphone in Real Time
    Complete LED Park Power Diagnostics with Wireless Fault Alerts – Open Ground, Open Neutral, Reverse Polarity, Open Circuit and Miss-Wired
    Replaceable Surge / Spike Module – Should you get hit by a large spike, simply order a new surge module. No need to order a whole new unit.
    Heavy Duty Construction
    IP65 rating – Rugged outdoors rain proof design.
    Premium protection from spikes and surges
    99% pure copper 6 gauge wire, solid copper plugs and blades
    Industry First, Patented!

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello, does anyone have any additional comments about how my Hughes AutoFormers 50 Amp Watchdog EPO (Emergency Power Off) Surge Protector would work with regard to a malfunction in the wiring we've been discussing here?

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
    [/URL]
    The 50 amp Power Watchdog Smart Surge Protector + EPO (emergency power off) offers a powerful 4,800 Joules of advanced surge protection for your coach. Our Patented Power Watchdog + EPO is the world’s first smart surge guard and surge protector with built-in Bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone in real time! Get text alerts of dangers before something catastrophic happens. The new EPO (emergency power off) units will automatically SHUT DOWN power if there are dangerous conditions of too high or low voltage, open ground or open neutral as well as more.

Unit automatically shuts down power if voltage drops below 104 V or over 132 V. Once power conditions are good and stable for 90 seconds, the unit will turn back on automatically.

World’s first advanced Smart Surge Protector with EPO (Emergency Power Off)
    4,800 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection
    Smart Circuit Analyzer will shut down power to RV if a dangerous event occurs. An alert will be sent to your smartphone
    Plug-n-play – only 4 second delay power on after plugging in (others brands are up to 2 mins)
    Built in 90 second Power-on delay to protect your AC.
    Wirelessly Monitor Volts & Amps & Watts on your Smartphone in Real Time
    Complete LED Park Power Diagnostics with Wireless Fault Alerts – Open Ground, Open Neutral, Reverse Polarity, Open Circuit and Miss-Wired
    Replaceable Surge / Spike Module – Should you get hit by a large spike, simply order a new surge module. No need to order a whole new unit.
    Heavy Duty Construction
    IP65 rating – Rugged outdoors rain proof design.
    Premium protection from spikes and surges
    99% pure copper 6 gauge wire, solid copper plugs and blades
    Industry First, Patented!
    Voltage in this scenario would have exceeded 134 volts and the Watchdog would tripcthe contactor and zhut power off to the rig. You'd have a bright red face.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast