User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies,
    Walaby, yes, I had the dealer match the window sticker and pull the vin's, I went through the packages to make sure they were the same. and YEs, thats what it looks like on the https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf shows it does when the camper package is added" 4x4 Crew Cab 176.0" 14,000 14,000 14,000 5,708/4,708 5,712/4,712 4,967/3,967.

WeirdAL, I agree with you but their documentation states otherwise.., this is the point I was making. Even the ford rep cant tell me what the CCC is on the truck I have on order.

A.Texas.Yankee Agreed, It's the front springs it add 1 level to..

m.j.email The dealer mentioned something about commercial use and taxes on the 450 when we looked at it? don't remember exactly..
    Last edited by FreddieD; 02-19-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R
    2021 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.7 LWB F350
    Curt A 20 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is quite a bit of confusion surrounding payload. Many ask about adding particular options to increase payload capacity. Payload is not a rating, it is the result of a mathematical calculation. The number on the payload sticker is derived from taking the GVWR (a static number assigned by the manufacturer, often having more to do with marketing than capability) and subtracting the actual weight of that specific truck as it rolled off the assembly line. So, any time you add an option that increases capability (diesel engine, fifth wheel prep, etc.), comfort, or safety, you are adding weight to the truck. For every pound you add, subtract one pound from the payload. Unless you choose the de-rate option, every F350 DRW and F-450 has a 14,000# GVWR. The only way to maximize your stickered payload capacity is to order fewer options on your truck.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieD View Post
    The dealer mentioned something about commercial use and taxes on the 450 when we looked at it? don't remember exactly..
    That depends on your state and insurance. For example, my insurance company considers the F-450 C&C a commercial vehicle, but not the Super Duty. Texas registration cost is based off GVWR, so it's no different than a F-350 DRW since both are 14K lbs GVWR. Some finance companies also view the F-450 as commercial and may not get through underwritting.

I do believe some states (i.e. California) will have additional costs...

YMMV

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    There is quite a bit of confusion surrounding payload. Many ask about adding particular options to increase payload capacity. Payload is not a rating, it is the result of a mathematical calculation. The number on the payload sticker is derived from taking the GVWR (a static number assigned by the manufacturer, often having more to do with marketing than capability) and subtracting the actual weight of that specific truck as it rolled off the assembly line. So, any time you add an option that increases capability (diesel engine, fifth wheel prep, etc.), comfort, or safety, you are adding weight to the truck. For every pound you add, subtract one pound from the payload. Unless you choose the de-rate option, every F350 DRW and F-450 has a 14,000# GVWR. The only way to maximize your stickered payload capacity is to order fewer options on your truck.
    You NAILED IT.........100% Accurate!

To the others reading this.....If you had a F350 Dually AND an F450 Dually (they are both 14,000 lb GVWR) and they were equipped exactly the same, the F450 Dually would show LESS payload than the F350...because of the basic weight of the F450 is more than the the Basic weight of the F350....bigger brakes, tires and wheels, etc.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JeffD68 and xrated,

I agree 100%, its about the numbers, the manufacturer should be able to tell us what the EXACT numbers are when we order it based on them being given the details of the order. because they cant it makes it hard to know exactly what your are getting.
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R
    2021 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.7 LWB F350
    Curt A 20 Hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford's choice to limit the F450 pickup to 14K lbs GVWR is a decision made by their Marketing department, not their Engineering department. Many states will list any truck with a GVWR greater than 14,000# as commercial, with higher registration fees and insurance rates.

This results in a lower payload on paper; it doesn't reflect the 450's capabilities.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Ford's choice to limit the F450 pickup to 14K lbs GVWR is a decision made by their Marketing department, not their Engineering department. Many states will list any truck with a GVWR greater than 14,000# as commercial, with higher registration fees and insurance rates.

This results in a lower payload on paper; it doesn't reflect the 450's capabilities.
    I agree, but the problem is......how do you KNOW exactly what the full capabilities are......and I'm not pointing that question to you, Keeble, it's just a rhetorical question.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I agree, but the problem is......how do you KNOW exactly what the full capabilities are......and I'm not pointing that question to you, Keeble, it's just a rhetorical question.
    I agree with you as well. I think the most important take away for members of this forum is that an F350 dually or an F450 will comfortably pull anything GD makes. If your use case is pulling a GD trailer, you have nothing to fear about an F450 with a lower published number than an F350.

This from a guy driving an F350.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You can never KNOW exactly...unless you find that point and break a truck. This is where common sense and logic come into play. I would personally have no reservations loading a F450 up to the front and rear AWR (15500#) as long as the tires and wheels were rated for the same. I am also confident that it's actual capability goes beyond that. The chassis cab version is rated at 16500. I seriously doubt there is a mass produced fifth wheel on the market that can overwhelm a F450. Others would never consider exceeding the GVWR. To each their own.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieD View Post
    Thanks for all the replies,
    Walaby, yes, I had the dealer match the window sticker and pull the vin's, I went through the packages to make sure they were the same. and YEs, thats what it looks like on the https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf shows it does when the camper package is added" 4x4 Crew Cab 176.0" 14,000 14,000 14,000 5,708/4,708 5,712/4,712 4,967/3,967.

WeirdAL, I agree with you but their documentation states otherwise.., this is the point I was making. Even the ford rep cant tell me what the CCC is on the truck I have on order.

A.Texas.Yankee Agreed, It's the front springs it add 1 level to..

m.j.email The dealer mentioned something about commercial use and taxes on the 450 when we looked at it? don't remember exactly..
    I just looked at the Ford Towing Guide and footnote 5 on page 13 says "with 13,000 pound payload package". With a 14,000 pound payload package you get 4,967.

JeffOfBoise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast