User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that Maxxis makes the very best ST tires. Our previous TT was a 2011 Jayco 33RLDS that was factory equipped with Goodyear Marathons. They had a 2010 DOT Date Code. We had two belts slip early spring 2015. I did my research and went with Maxxis as a replacement for the Marathons. They are a bit more expensive. Noticeably stiffer sidewall, better handling, didn't feel like the same trailer. Very pleased with the Maxxis. We sold the Jayco this past March. Due to be replaced we had zero issues with the Maxxis. Regardless what you buy I would suggest that you ask for the most recent DOT Date Code. Shelf life counts towards the overall serviceability regardless what brand you buy. Six years typically the recommended tire life cycle including shelf life.
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R, Onan 5500 LP Gen, 7K Axles w/Disc Brakes, Cooper 17.5 H Tires
    2020 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7L Cummins, Air Lift 7500 XL Air Bags & Compressor System
    B&W Companion Puck System Slider Hitch for Ram 20K lbs.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I couldn’t care less about the political correctness of it but it is just so tiring on this forum
    Seems like the “in” thing to say
    I personally would like the term banned from the forum by moderators
    They have either served him or the previous owner very well since 2018 so it is confusing as to why he referred to them as bombs

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I couldn't agree more. They haven't failed so why the hyperbole?

Sometimes I think there are two people that frequent all of the forums I go on - People who want to look for problems with their camper and people who want to camp.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Lol in today's "politically correct" society that name is probably offensive to some I think we should start calling them mmmm " may pops " Lol
    Ummm, I think there may be some "pops" and "grand-pops" finding that offensive
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxxis makes incredible mountain bike tires. So I can see why you like them for trailer tires.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLWSCC View Post
    I have 3 year old China bombs on my rig (2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK) any thoughts on replacing with Goodyear Endurance 10 ply tires (or other recommendations) would be appreciated...thanks
    Good luck with finding consensus for the proper replacement tire. I became a Hercules Tire fan after having a flat near Douglas WY. The shop that I limped into provided service for all of the commercial equipment that supported the coal and oil fields north. Hercules is what they recommended and I've never had any reason to change. I thing they are a Cooper Tire spin off and manufacture in the US. When I replace my tires before my summer trip, I plan to increase the load rating from E to F. I gives me 2 more ply in the tires and I can live with the increase in sidewall aspect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Next Tires for 320MKS.pdf 
Views:	11 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	33359
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    In my research on different RV forums over the years; Maxxis, Carlisle, Sailun, and GY Endurance (in no particular order) have received good reviews. Outside of the OEM tires, I only have experience with GY. People have said find your size and price with any of them and go with it.
    I will attest to Sailun being a top-quality tire. If your wheels will take 110 psi, consider upgrading to a G-rated tire. Sailun G rated are about $170.00 per tire and they are a fantastic tire.

FWIW, I think the issue with tires occurs mostly when the trailer is approaching the weight limits of the tire. Weight transfers when rolling can be extreme and weaken tires over time. My two cents worth. I think its important to have a bit of surplus tire capacity...the more the better.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re still rocking our westlake tires but want to switch. I found some Goodyear Viva tires for a good price. Same tire size, however, they have a speed rating T and load rating 97 which is significantly better than the westlakes. Anyone have any experience with these tires?

Btw, we have a 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 247BH. For some reason my signature line doesn’t show up when I reply on my phone.

A-A-Ron
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PowerStroke SRW

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazi98 View Post
    We’re still rocking our westlake tires but want to switch. I found some Goodyear Viva tires for a good price. Same tire size, however, they have a speed rating T and load rating 97 which is significantly better than the westlakes. Anyone have any experience with these tires?

Btw, we have a 2021 GD Transcend Xplor 247BH. For some reason my signature line doesn’t show up when I reply on my phone.

A-A-Ron
    I don't believe that Goodyear Viva tires are trailer tires. They are passenger tires from what I see....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GLWSCC;359242]I have 3 year old China bombs on my rig (2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK) any thoughts on replacing with Goodyear Endurance 10 ply tires (or other recommendations) would be appreciated...thanks[/QUOTE

We have a 2017 Reflection 311BHS purchased new in March. Our Westlakes tires lasted until August 2020 (little over 3 years) since the expiration date on the Westlakes was passed I had ordered Goodyear Endurance tires. Unfortunately we had a blow out coming back from Port Aransas before the new Goodyears purchased. I have nothing bad to say about the Westlakes, I checked the tires each year and had Discount Tire check them as well.

Put the new Goodyears on in August, took the trailer in to get the blow out damage repaired, received the trailer back in October and placed in storage for the winter. Pulled it out last last week for a short trip to San Antonio. Got to San Marcos before the rear Goodyear went flat. Luckily the sidewall did not separate (looked like someone just sliced the tire down the middle) so no damage to the trailer. We have no idea what happened and neither does Discount Tire.

The funny thing is that we bought a TPMS in December but forgot to put it on the 5th wheel on the way to San Antonio. Will not make that mistake again.

If you take care of your tires with regular maintenance, tire pressure checking before you leave and close monitoring your tires should last until the expiration date. Then they should be replaced.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I have the Westlakes on my Reflection. I don't see any reason to change perfectly good tires. I may have a blow out this coming season, or not. Maybe in the next season, or not. If not by then I will change them. Not because of any thing other than they are going to be of age by then. I did some research and the biggest factors, which most of you know anyway, with tire failure of any kind is underinflation, heat (which is mostly caused by under inflation) and going over the speed rating of the tires. The Westlakes may have been/are more susceptible to those factors. Don't know. I'll use my new TMPS system this year, and keep an eye on everything with walkarounds and so on. I really don't want to spend $800.00 or more prematurely for new tires. My two previous TT's never gave me issues and were driven thousands of miles on the factory tires, but they were not nearly as heavy either.
    I have been following this forum and one much larger RV forum for years. And I've heard of hundreds of Chinese tire failures of all brands. At the end of the Summer, tire failures on fifth wheels are reported virtually every day. The big problem is that fifth wheel trailers do not have fenders and when a tread separates it'll easily do $4,000 in damages to the underside, outside and often slides. I certainly don't cherish leaving my trailer in a RV body shop 5 months to get repairs.

On Day One, I swapped my Westlakes for Bridgestone Duravis R250's, and I'm not sorry. You wouldn't believe the difference in sidewall thickness, tread depth and general weight of the tire. There's no comparison. Michelin also has a comparable ribbed commercial tire.

For the budget minded, there is one Chinese tire that I've never heard one complaint on and it's the G rated Sailuns. They can be bought for about $150 each. I put a pair of their E rated tires on my F250 (Walmart.com) and they're doing just fine.

And by the way, TMPS will not keep you from having a tire failure. But they may help you check the pressure the start of every day and they'll get you to the roadside and stopped quicker than being without them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast