User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was going to have a big 5th wheel, which I have had in the past, and live in it fulltime, which I did for almost a year, I would have a bigger tow vehicle, which I did. I don't need or want, at this time, anything that big. My equipped F150 does all I want of it and rides nice loaded or unloaded. The 2970RL might be to big or too long or to heavy for some, but fits our needs just fine. I still don't get the tongue weight argument. Tongue weight with a wdh hitch is different than without. The scale doesn't lie. Which is all I was alluding to before the big truck syndrome hit. Have a great day everyone, class is over.

and since we have hijacked the op thread, The answer by Second Chance is probably the best advice, you don't have to have the biggest truck on the lot, but be comfortable with what you decide.
    Last edited by BobnColo; 04-23-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    That has to be one of the lamest statements I think I have ever read. Kind of reminds me of back in the early 70's and 80's when I was in the trucking business and guys with 3408 Cat motors made fun of us that had 350 Cummins. Lesser tow vehicle indeed.
    As an aside, I am not anywhere near my "legal" or published weights and don't have the need or want of a Dually Crew Cab diesel at this time. Could change when I get older, but at 69 yo I still have no need to prove anything to anybody.
    Two phrases come to mind: "Ignorance is bliss" and "Knowledge is power".

Your TV has several ratings. They are all important. You are choosing to ignore the TW rating... Probably because that rating is typically low on a 1/2 ton, and you really do not want to know. (Note: This number is not your payload number, it will most always be lower, many times a lot lower) You can choose to continue to blissfully ignore it, and be powerless when something bad happens if you are over this rating.... Or you can choose to find out what your TW actually is, and have the knowledge of knowing if you are over the rating, and by how much. You would then have the power to do something about it if you desire. The choice is yours. I have seen quite a few people, who when they finally weighed everything and were shocked at just how far over their ratings they were..... Get a bigger truck with in a week
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Your TV has several ratings. They are all important. You are choosing to ignore the TW rating... Probably because that rating is typically low on a 1/2 ton, and you really do not want to know. (Note: This number is not your payload number, it will most always be lower, many times a lot lower) You can choose to continue to blissfully ignore it, and be powerless when something bad happens if you are over this rating.... Or you can choose to find out what your TW actually is, and have the knowledge of knowing if you are over the rating, and by how much. You would then have the power to do something about it if you desire. The choice is yours. I have seen quite a few people, who when they finally weighed everything and were shocked at just how far over their ratings they were..... Get a bigger truck with in a week
    “TW ratings” are 10 percent of the tow rating which can change simply by changing gear ratios in identical trucks.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Not ignoring any of the ratings I have. You, sir, are "assuming" something you have no knowledge of. Not every tow vehicle is created equal. Not every operator is created equal either. It's a good thing you weren't towing trailers and such before the internet told you how. Don't know how I lived through the "old days" towing travel trailers and equipment without all the "knowledge" one is willing to share on a message board lol.
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not ignoring any of the ratings I have. You, sir, are "assuming" something you have no knowledge of. Not every tow vehicle is created equal. Not every operator is created equal either. It's a good thing you weren't towing trailers and such before the internet told you how. Don't know how I lived through the "old days" towing travel trailers and equipment without all the "knowledge" one is willing to share on a message board lol.
    Of course not every tow vehicle is created equal , that’s a no brainer. But there are standards.

As far as the old days. Just because you can pull a mule train with mules like the old days, doesn’t mean you can race a sulky with a thoroughbred. So that comment really means nothing. I used to be able to tune and work on my car, but in today’s world I would not begin to work on its electronic fuel injection.

No matter how “experienced” you are or think you are there are many emergency scenarios where experience doesn’t count. To have a self inflated opinion of ones ability to control all situations is exactly why their are posted payload capacity standards for all towing vehicles. I have yet to see a set for experienced towers and inexperienced ones. Of course experience helps in many cases but should not be an excuse for violating the capacity rules......that is off course is unless you are omnipotent and can foresee a deer jumping out, a blowout, or a nimrod losing control in front of you.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminder: Keep things civil and mind the "Keep it nice" and "No personal attacks" rules so we don't have to delete posts or lock the thread.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Of course not every tow vehicle is created equal , that’s a no brainer. But there are standards.

As far as the old days. Just because you can pull a mule train with mules like the old days, doesn’t mean you can race a sulky with a thoroughbred. So that comment really means nothing. I used to be able to tune and work on my car, but in today’s world I would not begin to work on its electronic fuel injection.

No matter how “experienced” you are or think you are there are many emergency scenarios where experience doesn’t count. To have a self inflated opinion of ones ability to control all situations is exactly why their are posted payload capacity standards for all towing vehicles. I have yet to see a set for experienced towers and inexperienced ones. Of course experience helps in many cases but should not be an excuse for violating the capacity rules......that is off course is unless you are omnipotent and can foresee a deer jumping out, a blowout, or a nimrod losing control in front of you.
    Unforeseen circumstances can happen at any time to any of us. No argument there. To say someone is going over "posted" capacity standards without knowing anything but internet opinions or hearsay is what I have a problem with. Like I stated before, my tow rig and travel trail are under the so called standards by way of scale. When I was in the trucking business in the 70's and 80's, never did I ever hear someone ask what my tongue weight was. All that mattered legally was what the axle weights and gross were. That is one of the purposes of a weight distributing hitch, to move load, or weight to be legal and balanced. Unhooked tongue weight means absolutely nothing because you aren't hooked up to anything. What is important is that you don't go over axle weight, towing capacity or load capacity. The only way to do that, if it's all that important to you, is weigh the 2 vehicles and get each axle weight as well as gross weight. What bothers me is all the keyboard experts that go by some general misconceptions about certain vehicles and consider that the gospel. BTW, I will take my experience over most anyone's that doesn't have the miles under their cheeks that I do.
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sir are doing some assuming.
    I started towing 30 years ago. I do not know when the internet was invented, but I do know that was long before I even thought about a computer. I found out about sway, when I experienced it.

You are the one wanting to ignore the actual TW, as you believe it doesn't matter so long as you use a WD hitch. I obviously cannot convince you, so I will just let you keep on believing that.... I only bring it up as you may convince others of your thinking. I urge them to look deeper into the issue, and then decide what to believe.

Happy camping
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll leave it like this....I know what tw and wdh's are and how to make them work. I'm sure everyone will have their own theory and that's all well and good. What works for me, works for me. I'm done with this thread thank you and have a great day. Thanks for participating.
    Bob
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not want to tow that heavy and long of a TT with a light weight 1/2 ton. I'm guessing it will weigh in around 8500 lbs. That will put the optimal TW around 1050 lbs.
    Sure the truck will be within specs barely, but it will be borderline comfortable under any conditions other than no wind. Passing a semi on the freeway will cause a good amount od wiggle and the TT will push the truck around pretty good. What happens is the rear of the TT gets pushed one way and the front of the TT gets pushed the other way and that causes the trucks rear to get pushed which in turn makes the front of the truck get shoved the opposite way.
    That scenario will repeat all day long. It will get old fast. Power and stopping won't normally be an issue. The Hemi will scream on most 4% plus grades and the mpgs will be terrible.
    As long as the TT brakes are good then stopping will be okay. If the brakes on the TT are only marginal and they will be at times then stopping under emergency conditions will be scary.
    I wouldn't tow that TT with any less than a 3/4 ton truck. I will ruffle some feathers but I put the limit on 1/2 tons at 6500 lbs loaded. That leaves enough of a cushion so traveling is less stressful. BTW I do have a high stress threshold but camping and RV'ing is about having fun. It's not fun to be on the edge when towing for 4-6 hours a day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast