User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Payne View Post
    I have a 2020 303rls it came with a WFCO Converter that charged the Lead/Acid batteries just fine but when I went to Lithium I had to change to a WFCO that would charge the Lithium to full. The original WFCO would only charge the Lithium to 80%-85%. So just check the WFCO model # and see if its ready for Lithium if you wish to fully charge the Lithium. Best to ALL
    If you buy the right lithium battery with the right BMS, it will fool the charger into thinking it needs to provide more current. If you choose the wrong lithium battery with the wrong BMS, it won't. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Payne View Post
    Yes that will work. You are correct the converter would have to be changed to one rated for Lithium voltage in order to get full charge. But 85 % is much better than a Lead/acid battery can provide.
    Don’t think this is correct please explain. Buy before you do check out the Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM. AGM are not all the same

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some, not all, wet battery chargers just don't provide enough voltage to charge a LiFePO4 12v battery pack to the full capacity. For example, if a wet cell charger only charges at a max of 14.1v it will never be able to charge a LiFePO4 to fill capacity. Also, due to the voltage curve of LiFePO4, an incorrect charger may not charge at high enough voltage long enough to reach a full SOC. Depends on charger capabilities.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Well, I guess the fact that I'm an electronics engineer and the fact that I have checked the specs from the manufacturer give me a little confidence. Where did you get the idea that a conventional convertor would not?
    I read the specs in your link. That battery requires 14.6 volts from the charger.

The BMS really isn't the limiting factor for many convertors. A lot of them (most?) will only provide that much voltage (if at all) for a set amount of time.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the common knowledge I have heard!

Quote Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
    I have heard you will significantly lower the life of Lithium batteries by not giving it a full charge. But the easy solution is to add a solar panel and set the controller to lithium (make sure the controller support lithium, most do). It will charge the battery to full, which is probably 14.4. Depending on where you live you might need to pull the Lithium in the winter and store it indoors, they don't charge below 32 degrees, and most quit taking one till they get a reset signal.
    @SailorDan not sure where you heard this, but every video on you tube, and all of the information I read on Battery University Say the opposite.

If you charge to full capacity, you get somewhere around 500 cycles. If you charge to 85%, you get around 2000 cycles!

Victorn, Baqttleborn and others suggest not charging above 14.1 as a "rule of thumb". That gives ~85% charge. They also recommend setting the floor at something higher than the 2.5V that is touted as the bottom. I am using 2.65V in my lab testing.

OP, as others hae said here, Read Read Read. Then read some more. Good luck.
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I read the specs in your link. That battery requires 14.6 volts from the charger.

The BMS really isn't the limiting factor for many convertors. A lot of them (most?) will only provide that much voltage (if at all) for a set amount of time.
    Well, I don't wish to argue with you, but I contacted the manufacturer directly and spoke with their chief engineer and the president of the company. They both assured me that this was in fact a drop in unit and will work just fine with a stock converter charger unit. They warrant the battery life at 10 years under those conditions. So, I'm going with what they've approved.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't wish to argue with you, but I contacted the manufacturer directly and spoke with their chief engineer and the president of the company. They both assured me that this was in fact a drop in unit and will work just fine with a stock converter charger unit. They warrant the battery life at 10 years under those conditions. So, I'm going with what they've approved.
    No argument here. That battery WILL drop in and work with a stock convertor. Just like any lithium battery will. You only need to get a lithium convertor if you want to fully charge it. If that is not important to you. then that is fine, it will still be an upgrade over any LA battery.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No argument here. That battery WILL drop in and work with a stock convertor. Just like any lithium battery will. You only need to get a lithium convertor if you want to fully charge it. If that is not important to you. then that is fine, it will still be an upgrade over any LA battery.
    As others in the know have mentioned, you do not want to fully charge a LifePo battery as it shortens the life. Charging to 85% extends the life of the battery significantly. Again, per the designers of this battery, best to keep a charge of 13.6v max on this battery. Only reason to go to a LI charger is to charge it faster. Even the on-board BMS limits it to a maximum charge of 13.6v. It will accept a charge voltage of up to 14.4v when needed, but will not allow the battery bank itself to charge beyond a maximum voltage of 13.6V. You can believe what you want. I have the credentials and have done my homework. We don't need to argue, but you are mistaken in the case of this battery. I know they are not all the same.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others in the know have mentioned, you do not want to fully charge a LifePo battery as it shortens the life. Charging to 85% extends the life of the battery significantly. Again, per the designers of this battery, best to keep a charge of 13.6v max on this battery. Only reason to go to a LI charger is to charge it faster. Even the on-board BMS limits it to a maximum charge of 13.6v. It will accept a charge voltage of up to 14.4v when needed, but will not allow the battery bank itself to charge beyond a maximum voltage of 13.6V. You can believe what you want. I have the credentials and have done my homework. We don't need to argue, but you are mistaken in the case of this battery. I know they are not all the same.
    The spec listed on the link YOU provided states 14.6. Why is that?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spec listed on the link YOU provided states 14.6. Why is that?
    You don't really want an answer, you just want to argue. If you are really interested in finding out, why don't you give them a call like I did? Clearly you have no interest in listening to someone who has done their research. Have a great day.
    Last edited by Nogrey; 03-11-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast