User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spend wisely

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Incorporate a Victron battery monitor into you set up. Simple to install. You can get exact numbers
    While Victron is a "premium" brand, I choose to use a more modest unit with as many if not more features.

You are correct a good battery monitor system is critical to knowing what your "gozinta" and "gozoutta" is.

I am building a 280 AH 12V LIFEP04 battery system, and one of the key items is indeed a monitor. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-...737352522&th=1

Not shooting anyone down here, I just want to get the most for the dollar, and for 25% of the cost of a Victron unit, ..... well you get my point (Thrifty).
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really considered Victron a premium brand
    The one on my boat has lasted almost 18 years. That’s after I replaced two Xantrex in successive years as well as a Xantrex Charger. I just bought a new Victron 712 for the RV when I did the solar and battery upgrade

Best feature is it’s Bluetooth so I can monitor and program the battery monitor from anywhere and don’t have to physically look at the gauge.

In my sailboat As I flicked on and off equipment I could see and record the amp usage on a spreadsheet. Helped in formulating my electrical diet and of course size my solar. The biggest draws of course were the 12 volt reefer and all the pumps. I changed all my lights in the sailboat to LED over the years . They went from 1A per hour to .1A per hour. You could also see the charge that the solar and 110 would provide. (The boat like the RV has solar and shore-power. It also has a 120 Amp alternator .

The Victron cost me $120 as I got it on sale. Invaluable piece of equipment.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Xantrex charger and monitor when set up asks for the type of battery and total amp hrs. The system monitors amps in amps out. Voltage is not what is used to monitor the system to recharge. Their web site will help you to understand that system
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind the 12V feed to your trailer is fused. Normal is 30 amps, so if the batteries pull too much, they blow the fuse. My truck, a 2020 F-250 diesel, has 390 amps from dual alternators, so 30 amps to the batteries is nothing for the truck. We have 2 Lithium batteries (2x110 amps) and we can put a good charge back into them during a long drive.

Just a note, 390 amp output from dual alternators come with the quick (electric) cabin heater.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 03-26-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Keep in mind the 12V feed to your trailer is fused. Normal is 30 amps, so if the batteries pull too much, they blow the fuse. My truck, a 2020 F-250 diesel, has 390 amps from the alternator, so 30 amps to the batteries is nothing for the truck. We have 2 Lithium batteries (2x110 amps) and we can put a good charge back into them during a long drive.
    Do you know what voltage and current the camper batteries see from this alternator?

Correction: Stock truck batteries BXT-65-750 are AGM so no issues with voltage to TT AGM. Previously wrote: I have a 2019 SuperDuty 6.7 with either 322A or 377A (total) dual alternators and am wondering if the voltage range is OK for dual AGM batteries in the TT, since AGM batteries are more sensitive than wet cell to over charging from excess voltage.

I later will see what current and voltage actually get to truck using Vectron 712 if the Bluetooth will reach the truck cab while driving. I assumed that the current and voltage would be so low that is was of no concern. I have 510W solar so charging while traveling has worked well and no trees to be concerned about.

Just did a search and I may not be getting any current since I have not added the fuse. https://www.etrailer.com/question-374307.html Correction: I have factory brake controller and fuse 27 is installed (just checked fuse box) so I have power to trailer batteries.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 03-26-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on the solar suggestions. The lithium battery bank and inverter set up you have is an excellent choice to add a couple solar panels. Free, quiet power charging.
    We have 2 190 watt solar panels and 2 Li batteries with charge controller and inverter. Always plenty of power for everything but AC. Safe travels.
    Jeff & Sandy
    2021 GD 260RD Fifth Wheel ~ Snoopy
    2012 F250 Super Duty 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345