Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery life?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery life?

I've got a 2 year old 2021 Reflection 31MB. It has the original battery and it seems to be holding up well, but we seldom do any dry camping, usually full hook ups so the battery hasn't been taxed much. In 2 months were are going on a long haul trip to Yellowstone and I'm doing some maintenance on the FW before we go. One thing I wondered is if the battery should be replaced just so we are starting fresh when we hit the road. If so, is it recommended to upgrade size or capacity when I select a new one. Any recommendation or particular brand the best?
    Last edited by 1carguy; 08-08-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have been maintaining the battery properly (adding distilled water if needed) and it tests out under a load test ok I see no reason to replace it, especially if you're plugging in the whole trip.
    If you are going to do some dry camping a 2nd battery as a back up might not hurt to have around.

We replaced ours with 2 - 6v golf cart batteries... don't recall which brand off the top of my head.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can spring for it i would get a lithium battery even if you leave charger alone be way better off . No maintenance last a very long time 100% discharge and charge faster.
    This is just me if this has been working for you i would just leave it . You can buy one almost anywhere on the road if the need comes .
    Just my 2 cent .

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    I've got a 2 year old 2021 Reflection 31MB. It has the original battery and it seems to be holding up well, but we seldom do any dry camping, usually full hook ups so the battery hasn't been taxed much. In 2 months were are going on a long haul trip to Yellowstone and I'm doing some maintenance on the FW before we go. One thing I wondered is if the battery should be replaced just so we are starting fresh when we hit the road. If so, is it recommended to upgrade size or capacity when I select a new one. Any recommendation or particular brand the best?
    A very worthwhile investment would be a battery shunt to be able to monitor your battery usage. If you do that, you can actually see what is going in and what is coming out of the battery, Amp Hour wise, and that could give you some guidance whether or not you might need to upgrade you battery BEFORE the trip. After you install something like that, you could fully charge your battery, then do a controlled test (a constant draw of current) from your battery and see exactly how long it takes to discharge to a safe level.....then decide if that is enough for your trip or if you need to add more capacity.

There are quite a few shunt options out there, but my personal favorite is the ones by Victron.....a bit pricey, but simply top notch! Hope this helps
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    A very worthwhile investment would be a battery shunt to be able to monitor your battery usage. If you do that, you can actually see what is going in and what is coming out of the battery, Amp Hour wise, and that could give you some guidance whether or not you might need to upgrade you battery BEFORE the trip. After you install something like that, you could fully charge your battery, then do a controlled test (a constant draw of current) from your battery and see exactly how long it takes to discharge to a safe level.....then decide if that is enough for your trip or if you need to add more capacity.

There are quite a few shunt options out there, but my personal favorite is the ones by Victron.....a bit pricey, but simply top notch! Hope this helps
    These are very nice i would recommend one also !
    Renogy also has one that decent and cheap .
    Victron is top of the line can't go wrong with them if money not an issue.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    I was in same position as you last year. Had a 2 year old trailer with original battery that was in good condition. I seldom camp a night without electrical hookups but had reservations for 2 weeks in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons with no hookups.

I went to Sam's and bought a new group 27 deep cycle lead acid battery, and kept my old group 24 as a backup. My Honda EU2000 generator was able to recharge the new battery every day.

A well cared for 2 year old battery should still be fine, especially if you will be camping with shore power. However, having to buy a new battery on your trip may be a little inconvenient in some places.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see, @1carguy, we're all ready to spend your money.

I'd just wait until you need a battery and then replace it. It sounds like you are taking good care of it and monitoring it. If you can, get it load tested; if it passed enjoy your vacation if not, most deep cycle batteries have the same warranty (which mostly always runs out before the battery fails). I'm replacing a friends with some from Walmart - I think it is their EverReady brand.

There are plenty of places to get a new battery while on the road and, although I have Lithiums, there isn't much need for one if you don't boondock or go off grid often. The only advantage, which is probably minor in your situation, is a weight savings. It saves having to concern yourself with charging profiles, compatible charges, etc....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you a going to stay in yellowstone, only 1 park campground has electric. If you will be boon-docking, an AGM or flooded battery will likely let you down. Go get a lithium 100 amp hour, or better, get 2, and you will be glad you did. Tons of youtube videos about the various cheaper brands and many appear to be quite good. I installed a couple of lithiums this year and a 1000 watt inverter for dry camping and I am very happy with it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We currently have 2 gc2 fla 6v batteries. Just finished a week of boondocking at my bro’s place in Colorado. As long as you are realistic about what you plan to use electrically, my simple advice is to get a second identical battery to double your available storage capacity.

In the week we were there, I ran the genny twice about 3 hrs each time.

Enjoy your vacation and safe travels.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keeping this simple. Keep the battery and if it fails....you can pretty much get one anywhere. Someone suggested buying a second one and that isn't a bad idea either. My battery is 2 year old and no issues for a 2-3 day dry camping situation with some power savings methodology initiated. You can always purchase a solar trickle charger if you don't have. However I assume you will be using services....have a nice trip.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast