User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Tank Equalization concern

Having 2ea Grey Tanks, I learned from this forum(not the owners manual) . One is for bathroom shower & sink, the second for the Kitchen sink, no cross flow between the tanks. Learning from the forum I installed a gate valve @ the end of the sewer drain. Then I should be able open to both Gray tank drain gate valves & the levels should equalized.

I tried this today & the results are not as expected, one tank was 2/3's the second was 1/3. Now, one tank indicates full & the other is empty. I don't think this is a good thing, or will the water start to fill the empty tank.

Has anyone seen this & what have you done?

Initially I wondered about the elevation of the tanks & would they be the same. My guess would be low in the frame, maybe not, maybe the bathroom is higher.

Thinking out loud if the trap for the kitchen sink is above the tank it should equalize.....me thinks
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    Having 2ea Grey Tanks, I learned from this forum(not the owners manual) . One is for bathroom shower & sink, the second for the Kitchen sink, no cross flow between the tanks. Learning from the forum I installed a gate valve @ the end of the sewer drain. Then I should be able open to both Gray tank drain gate valves & the levels should equalized.

I tried this today & the results are not as expected, one tank was 2/3's the second was 1/3. Now, one tank indicates full & the other is empty. I don't think this is a good thing, or will the water start to fill the empty tank.

Initially I wondered about the elevation of the tanks & would they be the same. My guess would be low in the frame, maybe not, maybe the bathroom is higher.

Thinking out loud if the trap for the kitchen sink is above the tank it should equalize.....me thinks
    Yeah, thanks for this post. Got to say I've been disappointed with the equalization potential. Like you I got a gate valve and was hoping that the two tanks would end up with equal levels. Since the shower side fills up much faster on ours, we wouldn't mind shifting a bit to the kitchen side. But no joy, with both grey valves open there was no difference in tank levels.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot depends on the physical tank layout. For example, in my 399, the kitchen tank was physically on top of my main bath gray tank. In cases like that, it's hard to get a true 50/50 equalization.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure of the benefit anyway?
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Yeah, thanks for this post. Got to say I've been disappointed with the equalization potential. Like you I got a gate valve and was hoping that the two tanks would end up with equal levels. Since the shower side fills up much faster on ours, we wouldn't mind shifting a bit to the kitchen side. But no joy, with both grey valves open there was no difference in tank levels.
    @FT4NOW

It sounds like this model with the drop frame that the bathroom grey tank is lower than the kitchen grey. Explaining why they do not equalize.

My last single brain cell thinks if the drain gate valves are left open the grey water will migrate from the bathroom tank to the kitchen tank. The level would slowly increase while showing full in the bathroom tank.

I'm waiting for someone to say, yeah I do that all the time Ha!
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    I'm not sure of the benefit anyway?
    In theory, say my bathroom tank is nearly full but my kitchen tank is mostly empty. If I were able to equalize them, then they'd both be about half full. That would allow an extra shower or two making for more happy campers.
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FT4NOW

It sounds like this model with the drop frame that the bathroom grey tank is lower than the kitchen grey. Explaining why they do not equalize.

My last single brain cell thinks if the drain gate valves are left open the grey water will migrate from the bathroom tank to the kitchen tank. The level would slowly increase while showing full in the bathroom tank.

I'm waiting for someone to say, yeah I do that all the time Ha!
    OK, I dare you to test this out! (OK, so not really, I triple dog dare you ) Keep adding to the kitchen tank while watching the shower floor. If your theory is correct, the kitchen tank will fill up. If not you'll start to see some water in the shower (the lowest point on the bathroom side).
    Stephen and Judy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried it too and no luck.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m sorta eagerly awaiting the responses on this myself…
    You can see the bathroom gray tank behind the pass through back wall on a 310, but it sounds like from what you had happen, the kitchen gray tank is lower in the frame.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to do the same thing, I cant say for sure in a 310 but in my 375 the bathroom gray tank is in the drop frame and the kitchen tank is in the main frame (higher). The equalization idea doesn't really work well in that case. They need to be at the same level in the frame.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast