User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much routine maintenance do you perform while on the road?

Pretty well set for the next 43 day excursion next week but was debating on whether or not to bring my DeWalt grease gun for the wet bolts and wash wax all kit. Bolts are freshly greased and washed the RV after last trip. Fresh water tank sanitized. I know I'll be covered in bugs and not sure how long the red & tacky will last without a little nudge. Over 5K miles and TV will definitely need an oil change mid way.

That got me to wondering what normal maintenance do others perform during travel time? Corollary, what maintenance (other than emergency) items do you bring?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Pretty well set for the next 43 day excursion next week but was debating on whether or not to bring my DeWalt grease gun for the wet bolts and wash wax all kit. Bolts are freshly greased and washed the RV after last trip. Fresh water tank sanitized. I know I'll be covered in bugs and not sure how long the red & tacky will last without a little nudge. Over 5K miles and TV will definitely need an oil change mid way.

That got me to wondering what normal maintenance do others perform during travel time? Corollary, what maintenance (other than emergency) items do you bring?
    We full-time, so everything goes with us. For a trip, if all your maintenance is done, just basic tools for "simple" issues and the Wash Wax All kit would be what I brought. Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really maintenance but I have a tote that I carry butyl tape,rv sealant, roof lap sealant and a 50 foot 4inch roll of eternabond as well as a roll of gorilla tape just in case of a leak
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We full-time, so everything goes with us. For a trip, if all your maintenance is done, just basic tools for "simple" issues and the Wash Wax All kit would be what I brought. Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
    Pretty much what I bring (simple tools) in addition to the roof sealant, eternabond, silicone mentioned by @NB Canada. Guess I was debating about the Wash Wax All kit as it was back-ordered and just arrived. On the fence with the lube for the wet bolts though my other DeWalt stuff is in there.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with a small tool kit, ratchet straps and hydrolic bottle jack. We do travel with the wash wax all stuff. You never know what sandstorm or bug storm you're going to roll through.

For bugs we learned this trick in FL because of the love bug invasion (evil little buggers) Get the green Bug removing type wiper fluid and mix it with distilled water, a 50/50 mix and spray the nose and let it dry. You will still get the bugs but they'll wash off so much easier. We also spray the front grill of the truck.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We travel with a small tool kit, ratchet straps and hydrolic bottle jack. We do travel with the wash wax all stuff. You never know what sandstorm or bug storm you're going to roll through.

For bugs we learned this trick in FL because of the love bug invasion (evil little buggers) Get the green Bug removing type wiper fluid and mix it with distilled water, a 50/50 mix and spray the nose and let it dry. You will still get the bugs but they'll wash off so much easier. We also spray the front grill of the truck.
    Funny thing, Wash Wax All says to spray the nose and front of the truck, let it dry, then spray and use the pad to clean the bugs off, finally spray a micro fiber cloth and wipe the surfaces again as a bug protection barrier. I did this, and most of the bugs just wiped off the next time. Now, I don't know how long it's supposed to last, so I've been doing the nose, a couple of days before we pull out.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Thanks for sharing that.....wish I would have know that before our trip out west last Sept. I'll get some and try it out...thanks again.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As standard items, as others have mentioned, a small toolkit, eternabond; duct tape, adhesives, spray lubricants, fuses, screws, wash/wax/telescopring pole.

I will order parts an bring to replace on subsequent trips. For example, my toilet was not holding water, I ordered the gaskets and they came in before my last trip. I brought those parts and replaced them.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add to the list: Lock-N-Lube grease gun and extra tube of grease. I usually grease the wet bolts before hitting the road for a long trip, but did have to add grease once on our previous rig (312 BHTS) about midway through a trip to Idaho and back.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take ww all, grease/gun, roof repair stuff, bearing/race & tools. Also PEX-tubing, fittings, tools. Air compressor, drill, bits & small assortment of mechanic tools...& hope. Hope I don't have to use this stuff.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast