User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Ahhhh, ya 100% with you there Unfortunately those people will ALWAYS exist. My optimism around the new trailering sticker from GM is because it provides much more information more clearly than it has ever been before. It still requires some analysis and personal responsibility, but that has always been the case. This just removes a little of the guess work and eases the learning curve.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that part of it. I really don't see that it is of much value, other than a sales tactic by GM. And you're right, making the correct decision about towing safely, both the truck size and the trailer requires analysis and personal responsibility, but we'll never be able to overcome the lack of really caring by some folks. Oh well, at least we are trying, so that's a good thing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, no amount of stickers or data will ever stop people from using their 3/4 ton to pull a 16k 5er while saying "this can pull anything" and "I can't even tell its back there"
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new sticker might help get people thinking who weren’t aware of all the constraints. I do wish the big three would add to their online configurators so that the payload and towing info displayed along with the price. They could do it accurately enough if they wanted, and it would be a huge help for those planning a purchase (you could try different options and see the impacts without digging through ordering guides and searching for payload stickers from similar trucks).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2011 2500HD duramax rated at 10000 lb gvwr. It was weighed at a rally. I was surprised that I was 900lbs over. This is with empty fresh water tanks and I can’t remember if I had emptied the holding tanks before weighing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F680C396-E6A4-415B-9766-B743C369C080.jpeg  
    Last edited by Railroader; 10-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    2016 303RLS Reflection # 6244
    2011 2500HD diesel
    Hensley Trailer Saver BD1 5thwheel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could someone make a ton of money by creating an application wherein one would enter in every piece of data required (so would reject an effort to process a response without every block filled in) and hot ‘go’ and the app would answer the X (5,10,?) most frequently asked questions regarding towing weights and measures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am here to say I am a ways out before my first TV and 5ver purchase, so this information is great! I started out thinking a TT and a 150 would be great. Then moved to thinking a 250/2500 would be better. Now I am pretty certain the 350/3500 is the only way to go. My how my opinions have been changed once I started educating myself and look at the advice others are giving. I am now at the point of scrapping the SRW and going all out on the DRW truck. Lol. Seriously though, I am trying to decide between the 303 and the 327. Would the SRW 350/3500 be fine for that? What is the difference in cost between the SRW and the DRW? Sorry trying not to highjack the Ops post. 😬

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    could someone make a ton of money by creating an application wherein one would enter in every piece of data required (so would reject an effort to process a response without every block filled in) and hot ‘go’ and the app would answer the X (5,10,?) most frequently asked questions regarding towing weights and measures?
    Here ya go....... https://fifthwheelst.com/ Click on the 4 step weight Safety Plan at the top of the page. Make sure when selecting, you choose the correct one for your rig.....Tow Behind or Fifth Wheel. Follow instruction and when you finish, you will have more information than you can believe.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with this site other than a user!!!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I would check is the tire load rating. Make sure you have "E" 10-Ply tires. Good Luck.
    OkieCowboy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the one reason why I went with Andersen Ultimate Hitch 35lbs is amazing. Versus 280 lbs

2020 Solitude 310 GK
    2019 Ford F350 Diesel CCSW
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

firestones on the RAM are not made for towing

Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    i've read many posts, re: my question, but the responses are a bit beyond my pay grade to understand.

we have made our annual trip out west and one special trip to maine, since buying my new 303rls and 2018 ram 2500 diesel in april. when i got back, i suddenly realized almost all the tread was gone on the rear firestones. that got me to thinking that this just wasn't right somehow. my truck only drops a couple of inches when the trailer is hooked up(no sag at all), and the trailer bubble level says it's pretty near perfect level when hooked up. i bought the diesel, because of the oh wow torque and 17k plus towing capacity(more than enough for the 303rls. literally everyone i've talked to has said: "oh, you've got more than enough truck for the load."

soooo, i went to the door jamb sticker. here's what it says: gvwr @ 10,000; dry weight @ 7799; payload @ 2200.

i weighed all the "stuff(and i mean everything)". it came in @ 775. add propane tanks @ 110, battery @ 60, assume a full fresh tank @ 480. that totals 1425 lbs. add that to my 9732 303rls dry weight, and you get 11,157 lbs. plenty of towing margin. so far, so good. but when i take 15% of the total for tongue weight, i get 1675 lbs. add two people, two dogs, 3/4 tank of fuel, and my 280 lb b&w hitch, i blow the payload limit by over 300 lbs.

is 300 lb too much to be over for this configuration? i can't figure out what to cut out to get within limits. any ideas?

how can dodge advertise that they have a truck capable of pulling 17,000 lbs, when the 15% tongue weight puts the truck over its payload capacity before anything else is added?????

thanks in advance for your input and ideas.
    Sorry to hear about you weight issues. I was a little luckier, since I had 20+ years as an OTR 18 wheeler driver and know about weights, loads and axle ratings. Yes, the 3500 SRW will work fine for your 303. With air bags you should be fine with the exception if involved in a wreck with a lot of damage to the other vehicle, regardless if it's your fault or not, you could be sued big time for being overloaded past ratings. With a death involved if you were at fault you could do jail time for manslaughter in the letter of the law which many prosecutors seem to be following. But that's another issue and I digress. As to the Firestone tires that came with your RAM. My Firestones on my 2015 3500 4x4 ram had aggressive tread for mud. They are not really designed to haul fifth wheels. I only got 25,000 miles out of mine when they were down to 5/32" in the worst spot on the tires. MY Michelin Defender LTX tieres have 13/32 after 22,000 miles and with only 2 rotations and balances they look fantastic. Also, I put Goodyear 16" endurance on my 2017 Reflection 26RLS and the trailer pulls so much better than the china tires. The goodyear tires make the side to side sway go away in cross winds. The sidewall is really stout and designed well for RV's. Good luck with your weight issue. A friend of mine gets close to legal weights using an Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
    Tim & Debra
    2015 RAM 3500, SRW, 4x4, 6.7, Air bags, 18k Demco Auto Slider
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 26RLS, 16" Goodyear Endurance Tires,

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast