User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably already know this, but a quick and dirty calc. is to multiply the empty weight times 20 percent. It's usually a bit more though as the empty weight is as they come from the factory.... No battery, no propane tanks, and obviously no propane, so plus another 120-130 lbs of added weight

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You probably already know this, but a quick and dirty calc. is to multiply the empty weight times 20 percent. It's usually a bit more though as the empty weight is as they come from the factory.... No battery, no propane tanks, and obviously no propane, so plus another 120-130 lbs of added weight
    I didn't know that. I had full propane, battery, and 1/2 tank fresh water when I weighed it. The front axle weight on the TV is bothering me but I have so much on my plate i won't get to it till next week.. I have to go to Pensacola, FL tomorrow and won't get home till Sunday night. Maybe Veterans day on Monday so I hope to have some more info by then.
    Barry:D
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is that fifth-wheels don’t tend to change the static weight on the front axle much. Almost all of the pin-weight goes to the rear axle. You obviously will get dynamic front axle loading while braking etc.

The truck may simply be very close to the front axle limits even when bone stock. Maybe you have a custom front bumper or something that has added weight up front. Travel trailers are nice because you can adjust the front axle load via the equalizers. Anyway, I doubt the fifth-wheel is adding more than 100 lbs to that front axle.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently tow a 337 with a gas 2500. I chose gas for the extra payload and lower price intending to buy a 315 TT, but fell in love with the 337. At first I was good. After a few months I was still okay, but now with 1.5 years full time I’m encroaching on my axle ratings. I used to think it was okay to do 3/4 ton, but as time passed so has my pin weight. Your mileage goes to crap when you exceed your axle. Don’t mean to upset folks but I’d never own a 3/4 ton diesel truck. They’re the equivalent of a belt buckle because the heavy diesel motor eats your payload. Also 2019 and earlier gm / Chevy trucks share pin weight with the front axle. Nice design if you have a light gas motor but with a diesel it does you no favors unless you REALLY enjoy replacing wheel hub assemblies.

Bottom line, I’d get a 1 ton, and now plan to myself.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I currently tow a 337 with a gas 2500. I chose gas for the extra payload and lower price intending to buy a 315 TT, but fell in love with the 337. At first I was good. After a few months I was still okay, but now with 1.5 years full time I’m encroaching on my axle ratings. I used to think it was okay to do 3/4 ton, but as time passed so has my pin weight. Your mileage goes to crap when you exceed your axle. Don’t mean to upset folks but I’d never own a 3/4 ton diesel truck. They’re the equivalent of a belt buckle because the heavy diesel motor eats your payload. Also 2019 and earlier gm / Chevy trucks share pin weight with the front axle. Nice design if you have a light gas motor but with a diesel it does you no favors unless you REALLY enjoy replacing wheel hub assemblies.

Bottom line, I’d get a 1 ton, and now plan to myself.

The main thing is being comfortable with your rig both he 5er and TV. I hope you find what you want in a TV to get you where you feel comfortable.
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    The good news is that fifth-wheels don’t tend to change the static weight on the front axle much...Anyway, I doubt the fifth-wheel is adding more than 100 lbs to that front axle.
    What I posted earlier I thumb typed, but that I have a keyboard back I did want to take minute to expand on my earlier comment on GM weight distribution. I believe that the amount of weight transferred to the front axle depends on the ball/5th wheel position in relation to the rear axle. My 18 Chevy (I believe this applies to all GM pre-2020) puts it a few inches forward of the rear axle. I weigh with each tow. My last front axle weight was 4100 lb, and I've seen it as high as 4300 lb. If I remember from my dry weight these are at least 1000 lbs over my truck unloaded weight (me, full tank of gas and the hitch with no load). That was a neat system and kept me under rear axle even when over payload...
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fundamentally you can multiply the pin weight by a simple ratio of the pin’s distance in front of the rear axle to the wheelbase. Since the truck’s suspension adjusts under load, there is a bit more to it. In any case, it’s normally 1-4” divided by 160+”.

If you don’t release the brakes when on the scale, it’s also possible to have a bit more/less apparent weight on the front axle.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes. I tow 9500 lbs with a 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 gears. No way could I imagine towing that 5th wheel with my gaser. Maybe in TX or FL. Out here in Oregon I don't think the Hemi would be under 3000 rpms.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and read the whole thread again and have come to the conclusion if you are considering being at your limit or exceeding it you need to be careful and that I don't recommend it. This has been a great thread and a real learning experience for me. I am enjoying my new Reflection 337RLS and am looking forward to or first trip the second week in December.
    USN Retired
    Yanmar Sc2450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Lots of folks towing overloaded too. Some just simply don't know any better, some just don't care. At least the O.P. is asking and he hopefully realizes that it's too much trailer for his truck. That trailer has a GVWR of ~14,000 lbs. 20% of that is 2800 lbs of pin weight.........on a truck that likely has a payload in the very low 20s. Care to justify that for us Bob?
    Most trailers come with axles that are rated under GVWR from the start. So does your trailer have the correct axles for the weight? Care to justify xrated?
    2016 Chevy 2500 CC Duramax
    2019 Reflection 28BH

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast