User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Ideal Rig

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    Cindy has it right !!! we have a 310 in the family and our new 2930 .... we saw the 310 first and really liked it ... then we went to show in Tampa and were sold on the 2930 ... the bedroom and bathroom closed the deal ... found one at La Mesa in Sanford Fl .... I think we all would make little changes ... this has been a good read thanks ... later Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by TS_Breezes View Post
    So, Boyscout has it correct! The 2930 is the S series and has the smaller stovetop and the big farmhouse sink. We like the 310 stove top because it would be easier to clean if a boil over occurred and the sink is different. Ultimately if we were to plan the Ideal Rig (topic of this thread) that is why we like the 2930/310gk mashup. If we were buying one tomorrow - we would go with the 2930 and save a few bucks. Gain a front bedroom window, night stands, and the bath layout we prefer. To each his own! BTW - this is Cindy who is posting this
    Actually, both @TS_Breezes Cindy and @frank4711 Frank have it WRONG!

The big window in the front of the bedroom that they like would be nice to have, but we wouldn't trade it for the layout that we have. We LOVE the windows on either side of our bed in the 310GK - we can look outside just by opening our eyes in the morning and we often get nice breezes of fresh air across the head of the bed. We have a window over the head of the bed too, not a panoramic view but it lets in loads of light.

We have a WHOLE lot more space in the main closet, and in the washer / dryer closet because we don't have those appliances. It's actually quite a bit more space than we need (we're not clothing-interested people as some are) but to us that means that what we do have is well spread out on hangers and shelves and easy to access. I've even sneaked a few non-bedroom things up there, such as our air pump for tires and a few other tools.

We don't long for side tables - ours came with the king bed option so we have just a little 4" deep 14" long (estimated) shelf on each side of the bed, but it's enough for our phones / tablets / flashlight / other small items. No problem to reach the floor beside the bed for books or other larger items.

The bathroom layout they like is admittedly pretty nice, more spacious than ours. On the rare occasions when someone is staying on our sofa downstairs it would be nice to be able to get to the bathroom without getting dressed first. On the other hand, when our guests are using the bathroom we're more sound-separated from them.

To each their own.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floor plans and trailer type are going to be different for everyone.
    As far as the intent of the thread, construction means more to me, and adjust the floor plans to suit your need.
    I would like to see a trailer with honest to goodness steel wheel wells like on a utility trailer. The plywood T&G floors. Plywood roof. Commercial grade 60 mil roof liner vs the 20 mil that the rv industry uses. Torsion suspension. USA Goodyears. LED lighting ~ala. Jayco SMART system. Solid counter tops. Option for lithium batteries, to include true sine-wave inverter capable of running the microwave. Option for 12 volt compressor fridge. 2" receiver standard. Just some of the things on my wish list.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    If you could design a trailer what would look like? I've been thinking a lot lately about what the ideal rig design would be for me, and I believe I know what it would be.
    I have thought about this very thing for a long time and have spent countless hours playing with different floor plans for me and my wife. If we could only win a lottery I would be on the first plane to that custom-build place in mid-America. I have drawn up several versions of this - the only difference being different kitchen layouts (i.e. placements of refers/stoves/sinks/etc..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 foot rear kitchen v3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	25693
    Important criteria for me:
    short. !! shorter the better. this plan is 30'6" we like state and federal parks which often have shorter sites
    42" minimum shower. I am a big guy and want to be able to move around and bend over
    coat closet near entry for obvious - - coats, boots, brooms, etc.
    ability to use sink, refer, bath, and bedroom without extending slides
    sleeper sofa for occasional guests (but not too many )
    dinette on curb side so we are looking out a window at OUR campsite/firepit
    wife likes rear kitchen layouts
    Last edited by gastan; 04-04-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    While they're at it, put a second door off the other side. You could ride the bike down a ramp forwards then.
    Now that is a good idea! Sideways garage. Forward in and out. Nice!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ideal rig starts with figuring out a solution for my truck. I have always had toppers on my trucks. They are ideal for everything I do outside of camping such as carrying my gear for hunting and fishing. Also, the dog crate is in the back of the truck so that's the dog's camper. We love our Reflection 312BHTS travel trailer, but it is LOOOOOONG coming off the back hitch. A 5th wheel would undoubtedly be better. I just can't bring myself to get rid of a topper. So, my rig is a custom half topper on a long box that ends ahead of the 5th wheel hitch or something?
    Last edited by Timmer; 04-06-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with 430Flyer and Roll with the changes. A sideway garage would be great. I have a 650 suzuki that I would like to take with me and have it inside the camper
    2021 351M-R Momentum
    2018 GMC Duramax Denali CC DRW
    2014 Suzuki 650 v-strom

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    Floor plans and trailer type are going to be different for everyone.
    As far as the intent of the thread, construction means more to me, and adjust the floor plans to suit your need.
    I would like to see a trailer with honest to goodness steel wheel wells like on a utility trailer. The plywood T&G floors. Plywood roof. Commercial grade 60 mil roof liner vs the 20 mil that the rv industry uses. Torsion suspension. USA Goodyears. LED lighting ~ala. Jayco SMART system. Solid counter tops. Option for lithium batteries, to include true sine-wave inverter capable of running the microwave. Option for 12 volt compressor fridge. 2" receiver standard. Just some of the things on my wish list.
    I have thought of the same thing many times. I would like no pretend insulation. Minimize roof penetrations. What is the purpose of the dome over the shower? The vents should be sealed from the roof space so that any water leaks inside. Robust zero maintenance suspension. Mini-split air conditioner to improve performance and reduce noise. I realized recently that all of the ducted a/c systems are just a mitigation for how load the Dometic systems have become.
    Jack & Jacqui, Stongsville, OH
    2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS #292, HydraStar EOH, Kodiak Disk Brakes, Sailun S637 G rated
    2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax SRW CCSB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234