User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But since all the trucks are held to the SAE 2807 standard which specifically tests stability up to the truck design limits there shouldn't be any issue using either configuration all the way up to their design limits.
    I don't disagree really, as I mentioned, it was "fine" with the SRW, and I'm sure I could have towed, probably for the rest of my life, and not had an issue.

Here's the thing that really got me when I thought about it. I think it's inarguable there are some situations you could get in with a SRW where a DRW would prevent an accident. The "downhill off camber" we're talking about it one of them, IMHO, but an easier one is a rear tire blowout. Granted, these are RARE, but they are also protected in a DRW and not SRW.

Simply put, as I thought about it, I realized there was an easy (not cheap, but easy) way for me to prevent some potential issues by putting on "training wheels".

I'm aware there's no logical end to this, just like there are some situations where a DRW will prevent an accident a SRW would have, there are other situations where a semi would prevent an accident that a DRW would have. I simply could not make a semi work for my use case, we hike a lot and more trailheads are not at all designed to have a semi tractor park there! The biggest thing I could make work is a DRW with an 8ft bed. For others, a SRW would be the biggest they could do (if, for example, you enjoy visiting cities while RVing, driving a DRW into NYC is NOT my idea of a fun day!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t overload the capacity of your tire/wheel combo or the manufacturer axle rating. Drive within your ability and comfort zone and you’ll be fine.
    The argument over truck manufacturers load ratings is 100 percent accurate if you are towing commercially, meaning your truck is over 10,001 lbs and you are getting paid by someone to move whatever product. Recreational vehicles are private, not commercial and are not subject to FMCSA regulation unless you are a transporter.
    GVWR is an arbitrary number created for the commercial market. Also helps sell higher class trucks f350 as an upgrade from an f250 and so on.
    Hard to dispute a dually is better than an srw. They are more stable and capable, no arguing that. Also can’t say you can tow an 18k fifth wheel with an f150, that would be stupid all around. Where the argument gets interesting is when people claim if you are 10 pounds over GVWR then you are unsafe and reckless is also unreasonable. You would be considered over weight if you were towing commercially but you are far from being unsafe or dangerous. For instance a semi rated at 80k carrying 90k is legally overweight, unless they have an overweight permit. Having paid an extra fee with a piece of paper in hand you are no longer overweight or unsafe without having to do any other modifications to the vehicle to support the extra 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGDRam View Post
    Don’t overload the capacity of your tire/wheel combo or the manufacturer axle rating.
    I agree. Honestly, those are the numbers that matter, however, those are sometimes hard to find. Tires are often "derated" too, on my F250, my tires were rated lower than the tire (or wheel) itself because the recommended pressure wasn't the max pressure for the tire! I mean, could they make this any harder?!

Tires and rims, to me, would be "never exceed" numbers. The axle I'd also agree, but I believe those are usually rated "way over" what anyone would ever load onto the truck.

Brakes don't have ratings, but, if they did, I'd say that would also be a "never exceed".

Hard to dispute a dually is better than an srw.
    Having owned SRW for most of my life and towed 10,000's of miles, I'd agree with you. Honestly, outside of contrived situations, it's just impossible to argue that a dually isn't better in basically every towing situation than a SRW. It's better towing light, heavy and everything in between. Duallys are built to tow, everything else can tow, but is built to drive. Lots of things that would push people away from a dually for regular driving; bascially duallies are all "cons" until you get to towing. Then the situation is reversed, SRW is almost all cons, duallies nearly all pros.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Honestly, outside of contrived situations, it's just impossible to argue that a dually isn't better in basically every towing situation than a SRW. It's better towing light, heavy and everything in between. Duallys are built to tow, everything else can tow, but is built to drive. Lots of things that would push people away from a dually for regular driving; bascially duallies are all "cons" until you get to towing. Then the situation is reversed, SRW is almost all cons, duallies nearly all pros.
    That is stated about as well as I have ever seen it put. I guess I'd add one minor tweak: ...it's just impossible to intelligently argue ...
    Last edited by Keebler; 12-08-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    We tow our 310GK with a SRW F350. In my opinion, that is the biggest Solitude that should be married to that truck. I have a few hundred pounds of payload to spare, not a lot of margin. That being said we have towed about 5K miles with the setup and it does well including in the Rockies. I do wish that I would have gotten the dually for future expansion though, it is really expensive to switch trucks.

Brian
    Since I made this statement in November I found out what my 2019 F350 SRW was worth to a dealer, and ordered a new 2022 F350 DRW truck. Should have it by the end of February. Now I can upgrade as much as I want and carry a bunch more crap!

Brian
    Last edited by brandtb1919; 12-08-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    Since I made this statement in November I found out what my 2019 F350 SRW was worth to a dealer, and ordered a new 2022 F350 DWR truck. Should have it by the end of February. Now I can upgrade as much as I want and carry a bunch more crap!

Brian
    Yeah, for sure. Dealer calls me every few months trying to buy back my 450. Used values are nuts, and new prices aren't up that much. If you're joining (or should join) the 2 truck club, well, this might be one of the least expensive times in recent history to do it (trade in a relatively new truck for a new dually). That said, you'll have to be willing to wait, and then wait some more to get the new vehicle, but not crazy expensive like it is usually.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, for sure. Dealer calls me every few months trying to buy back my 450. Used values are nuts, and new prices aren't up that much. If you're joining (or should join) the 2 truck club, well, this might be one of the least expensive times in recent history to do it (trade in a relatively new truck for a new dually). That said, you'll have to be willing to wait, and then wait some more to get the new vehicle, but not crazy expensive like it is usually.
    I saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get what I should have bought without losing any equity in the old truck, making money actually.

I expect my wife to kill me if I start saying "man, I should have gotten the F450"

3 months didn't seem like a bad wait to me, as long as I have it before the next camping season (I should since it's scheduled for production the end of January).

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I ordered a new 450, because while on the holy door sticker it has a lower payload than the 350, I'm non commercial and yes, it has better reserves on component loading.

Also, this is the first time I've been able to order a truck for LESS than I could negotiate for something on the lot.

Will probably be keeping my SRW 250 as my daily driver as a super cab short bed SRW is easier to live with in the real world normally than a Crew Cab long bed from a size standpoint. Granted right now, with a broken collarbone, automatic is nice.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Yep. I ordered a new 450, because while on the holy door sticker it has a lower payload than the 350, I'm non commercial and yes, it has better reserves on component loading.

Also, this is the first time I've been able to order a truck for LESS than I could negotiate for something on the lot.

Will probably be keeping my SRW 250 as my daily driver as a super cab short bed SRW is easier to live with in the real world normally than a Crew Cab long bed from a size standpoint. Granted right now, with a broken collarbone, automatic is nice.
    I agree, got the new one for under MSRP, the new ones on the lot are about 10K OVER MSRP. I can't wait to tow the 5er along I80 through Wyoming and see how it compares to the SRW.

The DRW will be my daily driver for awhile until I get my wife's car handed down to me.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, outside of contrived situations, it's just impossible to argue that a dually isn't better in basically every towing situation than a SRW. It's better towing light, heavy and everything in between. Duallys are built to tow, everything else can tow, but is built to drive. Lots of things that would push people away from a dually for regular driving; bascially duallies are all "cons" until you get to towing. Then the situation is reversed, SRW is almost all cons, duallys nearly all pros.
    Well stated. All I hear about from folks on the diesel forums is how they'd just hate to drive one as a daily truck. It's not really that bad. I've done it since 1999. Maybe takes a pull up or two in tight parking but it's not like driving a school bus like some think. Even with a 22" frame extension and putting a long bed on my mega cab 3500...it's not that bad.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast