User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Quality

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't but as you may already know Grand Design has started installing Goodyear Endurance tire on their Reflection models and yes I know it is a different tire load range but they use to be Westlake tires.
    My camping buddy that bought a 2019 Reflection last year that still had Westlake tires installed just went out and replaced all his tires to Goodyear Endurance because of serious damage he had to previous camper from China bomb tires blowing and they weren't Westlake.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 02-10-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    No I don't but as you may already know Grand Design has started installing Goodyear Endurance tire on their Reflection models and yes I know it is a different tire load range but they use to be Westlake tires.
    My camping buddy that bought a 2019 Reflection last year that still had Westlake tires installed just went out and replaced all his tires to Goodyear Endurance because of serious damage he had to previous camper from China bomb tires blowing and they weren't Westlake.
    Exactly. Different load range ,different tire just like the g159s but you are lumping them all in together

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NB Canada, are you suggesting that the Westlake tires are good to go? Or that the Endurance are no better? The 2017 low mile trailer we just bought has Westlakes and I plan to replace them before we head out for 500 mile days.

Goodyear and Maxxis seem to be the most highly thought of.

thanks
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    NB Canada, are you suggesting that the Westlake tires are good to go? Or that the Endurance are no better? The 2017 low mile trailer we just bought has Westlakes and I plan to replace them before we head out for 500 mile days.

Goodyear and Maxxis seem to be the most highly thought of.

thanks
    Low mileage tires still need replaced. At 4 years it is up to you but they are close to replacing time
    Sure go with Good year ,Carlisle whatever
    All I am saying is for me the Westlakes are good to go
    They are brand new and I am not going to waste money to change them just because of a very few loud people that have had issues amongst the many thousands who haven’t

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no doubt they'll be replaced. This trailer lived in Phoenix until we got it so they saw heat. I've yet to wear a set of tires out on anything since we moved to the SW, they age out.

You're opposing the China = bad, USA = good meme on general principal then.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    There's no doubt they'll be replaced. This trailer lived in Phoenix until we got it so they saw heat. I've yet to wear a set of tires out on anything since we moved to the SW, they age out.

You're opposing the China = bad, USA = good meme on general principal then.
    The good year g159s were produced in the USA. They were responsible for I think 9 deaths 20 years ago

Anything could go wrong with any product

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good (and quick) read on this topic: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2016/05...can-setup.html
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple posters on this forum who are turning every thread into 15 posts of nonsense about country of origin lately. I don’t read their posts anymore. It’s one thing to state ‘I have such and such product and like it’,...

Westlake tires, in general, have a sketchy rep. It is largely based on a specific load range tire they put on 5th wheels that I believe was often equipped right at its capacity. But it’s all over the internet nonetheless, and the fact that one of the company’s products was not up to its rating has led to many not trusting the company at all. Grand Design, for example, switched to the Goodyear tires on some of their products. So it was a big enough issue to effect marketing and sales. There are isolated incidents of almost any tire going bad, and you’ve already had a few post their experiences, which are valuable.

Goodyear’s Endurance tire is just about the gold standard for a travel trailer right now. It has tremendous reviews, is standard equipment on a lot of premium trailers, and is competitively priced relative to its perceived quality. It also happens to be one of the only USA made options, if that is important to you. Many here have replaced with Goodyear.

To give my 2 cents, we still have the Westlake D range. It came on the trailer, and I have about 4000 miles on them, plus whatever the first owner did. This specific tire doesn’t have a lot of known issues, and I check pressures and visually inspect the tires regularly. At the first sign of trouble, or after a yet to be determined amount of time (likely not more than 5 years), they will be replaced with Goodyear Endurance. This is also the tires I expect you will have on your trailer. Whether or not you are comfortable with a middle of the pack quality tire on your trailer is your call, because realistically that’s what the Westlakes are.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    There are a couple posters on this forum who are turning every thread into 15 posts of nonsense about country of origin lately. I don’t read their posts anymore. It’s one thing to state ‘I have such and such product and like it’,...
    Well said. It seems as if the thread becomes more about “them” rather then trying to be helpful.

That said; I regularly frequent other RV forums and my wife is on several RV FB pages. Since GY started producing the Endurance ST tire in the USA I have seen just a few threads with issues over the past several years. That says a lot to me since a good portion of folks who visit these sites do so because they have a problem.

We changed our Westlakes to GY Endurance at about 1500 miles. No problems with the OEM tires but it gave me peace of mind. We did the same thing on our previous Rockwood Mini Lite TT that came with Castle Rocks, also distributed by LionsHead.

I also see threads of good experience with Maxxis M8008, Carlisle, and Saluin tires. Have not seen many issues with them either.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could be Westlakes. I would ask the dealer. For me I have a 2019 2500RL with the Westlakes on them and I have no issues as of yet. I only have a bout 7500 miles on them and they still look good. I drive around 65-69 MPH, I do not overload my camper, and I do not hit curbs. I check my tire pressure all the time and I have covers for them when I am not using the camper. You will get many different responses from many different people and you will just have to decide which way you want to go. When the time comes to replace them it will most likely be a Goodyear tire or another good rv tire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast