User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking Up Our First GD - a Few Questions

We just purchased a 2021 Solitude 345 GKR, our first Grand Design, and wanted to get some experienced GD owner input on a couple of things.

1) Should we purchase the 5-Yr extended warranty (the dealer already provides a lifetime appliance warranty, contingent upon us having an annual inspection - approx $199 to keep up the warranty)
    2) Is there a “mini” PDI checklist that someone might recommend to check all the essentials? We’re a little intimidated by the one we saw in reference area here and posts where people have spent 3-5hrs.

Thank You,
    MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKLealea View Post
    We just purchased a 2021 Solitude 345 GKR, our first Grand Design, and wanted to get some experienced GD owner input on a couple of things.

1) Should we purchase the 5-Yr extended warranty (the dealer already provides a lifetime appliance warranty, contingent upon us having an annual inspection - approx $199 to keep up the warranty)
    2) Is there a “mini” PDI checklist that someone might recommend to check all the essentials? We’re a little intimidated by the one we saw in reference area here and posts where people have spent 3-5hrs.

Thank You,
    MK
    On your first point, if y'all are handy, you can probably fix 95% of things that come up, after the first year. We did not get the extended warranty, and put money aside for anything major.

To the second point, your PDI is where you get to physically inspect the coach, with a fine tooth comb, to make sure everything (and I mean everything) is to your satisfaction. If it is not, that is the only time you can get the dealer to fix things "right now". Otherwise, it's warranty work, and most dealers are scheduling appointments 6 weeks to 3 or 4 months out. My recommendation is this: do not do a "quick" PDI. We took 5.5 hours to do ours, and it was well with it. We did send the PDI checklist to the dealer so their technicians would know what we would be looking at. In our case, they had every thing fixed before we even got there. Yes, we took our time going over everything, but it was well with it.

The way I would look at it is this: when you buy a sticks-n-bricks house, do you buy it without a home inspection? Regardless of the age of the home? No, the loan company insists on one. It's the same thing. You are spending at least $50k-$60k. Isn't it worth the 4+ hours to go through it?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, you can hire an outside “inspector” to do a PDI with/for you too.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PowerStroke SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You,
    MK
    "MKLealea" We purchased our Solitude last year and have had zero issue. Doesn't mean something won't but so far so good so I would save the big $$ extended warranty. Regarding the PDI. Do plan on 3-4 or more hours going through your PDI with the RV tech. Personally I feel this is where many people screw up by not taking the time at the RV dealership to make an extremely thorough inspection of every system, how it works/operates and how the fit and finish is. If you don't catch a potential problem at the dealership then you sure will catch it on your first or second trip out and it may be something that can ruin a trip. BE PICKY about every single detail. They probably won't like it when you ask them to hook up their waiting room cable to your tv coax input to check if it works but to bad. Over the air may work but cable/satellite coax may not. Ask me how I know. I have yet of hearing a dealership that will do that, they just assume it works. Have them fill your fresh water tank part way so you can run the 12 volt pump and observe the water flow from each faucet, ask me why I suggest this , test airco, heater, stove, refrigerator should be cold and freezer freezing, check fireplace if equipped and even tire pressures. If the dealership has really done their PDI then there will be no issues. Someone on another RV forum suggested taking video of your PDI. I am sure the RV tech will be a little more spot on with his/her explanations. As to your PDI check list....be patient and use the long form so you catch something at the dealer and not on the road. Safe travels and congrats on your purchase of a great RV (IMHO).
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking Up Our First GD - a Few Questions

Great advice. Most importantly, do not sign any paperwork until you are satisfied with the rig (which means AFTER. PDI). Sometimes they will fix things right on the spot. At the end of the day, they want a contract and you driving away with it. Use that.
    If there is anything outstanding make sure they write up a “Due Bill” which will contractually hold them to it. Be detailed and specific.

Lastly, IMHO, take the money you would spend on an extended service contract (warranty) and put it in an account of its own. Periodically add money to the account and before you know it you have you rainy oh crap fund...

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Redapple63; 04-16-2021 at 03:00 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 15 minutes on my delivery
    Just quickly looked through the trailer for missing equipment signed off and left
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You,
    MK
    To your first point, put your money into an interest earning account, not an extended warranty.
    To your second point, if you don't spend the time now, you will spend it later waiting in a service que without the use of your trailer. If you don't have the time, hire an inspector. You can afford it with the money you didn't spend on an extended warranty.
    Congratulations on your purchase, enjoy, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 4 forms in the refernce section
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/