User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Interesting comments on this. I am going to quite aware of what the built in sway control does. Just
    making a comment on the relevance of it. Since I started driving semi’s in the early 70’s and having had 4 bumper pulls, 2 fivers and a classA, I have a little bit of experience towing. The size of the truck is not the most important issue as long as the weight of the towable is within reason. Experience is key. I have seen many people with a much larger truck and smaller camper that had no clue how to even back up much less know what to do in an emergency situation. Brake controllers? A necessity but knowing how to set one up is important. Arguing about if it comes standard is mute because if it didn’t you are probably not set up to tow anything anyway. Most trucks ar plug and play to install one but then you get back to the other needed equipment.
    That's alotta good info BobNColo. Thanks. I will say there are some exceptions to the 'no built in brake controller, not setup to tow' rule. My last rig was a Minnie Winnie on an E450 chassis. I eventually pulled a car behind it on a tow dolly. Tow rating of the hitch was 5k and tongue weight of 500lbs. My car and dolly were about 1500 under that, but although pre-wired for it, the RV did not come with a built-in break controller. The Prodigy controller WAS plug and play, but I did have to go buy one. We later switched to the Mini Cooper 6spd manual towing 4 wheels down as it was lighter and waaaaaayyy easier to hook up. That rig was one of the main reasons I wanted the Cummins in our latest truck. That Ford 6.8L Triton V-10 worked pretty hard trying to get up a hill with a car behind it. No problems braking, or when a semi- would pass, but uphill, you had to know what you were doing. Suffice it to say, more semi trucks passed me than the other way around.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting thread and great reading material!!! I/we own a similiar but smaller trailer (2400BH). As most have said, if your within your limits, even at the max, your vehicle will work. We recently upgraded our TV to a 3/4 ton and WOW, the difference is definitely noticeable. We had ZERO issues towing our setup with a 1/2 ton and we were definitely at the MAX. With COVID-19 and the shortage of 1/2 ton trucks, our trade in value was in my opinion way above normal so we decided to look at 3/4 ton trucks and ultimately made a purchase. The ride quality unloaded is still fantastic, and in my case, the gas version 3/4 ton truck get roughly the same MPG's so in my opinion, if you do decide to upgrade your truck, you will be much, much happier. But if you can't, stay within limits and you'll be just fine. Best of luck, stay safe and enjoy the memories with your rig and family!!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    My 2021 2600 RB had an actual 1140 lb tongue weight when I put it on a CAT scale. My 1500 CC Bighorn Ram had a payload of 1404 lb.
    The GCWR was 13,680 and the max for the vehicle was 13,900. That was empty waste tanks and approx 15 gallons of freshwater, and not very much loaded into the trailer and only 1 week's worth of supplies (no firewood). Trailer weight was at 6480, well under the max of 7800.
    But I was overloaded.
    The 1500 had plenty of puling power and plenty of braking power, but out of capacity on weight. . . .
    Wow! 1,140 lbs tongue weight with trailer weight of only 6,480 lbs. That’s right at 17.5%. Is that with a WD hitch properly set up?

Your loaded trailer weight is close to ours but the tongue weight is almost 300 lbs. heavier. We don’t travel with fresh water in the tank but do keep about 5 gals in the black tank. Our pass thru storage area is close to full, but not much heavy stuff. We also tend to throw the last minute travel items on the floor in the shower. Hard to understand why our tongue weights are so different.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Wow! 1,140 lbs tongue weight with trailer weight of only 6,480 lbs. That’s right at 17.5%. Is that with a WD hitch properly set up?

Your loaded trailer weight is close to ours but the tongue weight is almost 300 lbs. heavier. We don’t travel with fresh water in the tank but do keep about 5 gals in the black tank. Our pass thru storage area is close to full, but not much heavy stuff. We also tend to throw the last minute travel items on the floor in the shower. Hard to understand why our tongue weights are so different.
    WD doesn't change the TW at all. It just distributes it.
    I actually like a heavy TW. It makes for a great tow, so long as your equipment can handle it. The only reason why people do not tow with heavier TWs is the limitations of the TV, reciever hitch and TT coupler
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    WD doesn't change the TW at all. It just distributes it.
    I actually like a heavy TW. It makes for a great tow, so long as your equipment can handle it. The only reason why people do not tow with heavier TWs is the limitations of the TV, reciever hitch and TT coupler
    You are correct, but you don’t get tongue weight from a Catscale either. You only get axle weights. (And yes, I know you can determine tongue weight from differences in the axle weights.) But I’m still amazed how one gets that much tongue weight with so little trailer weight. I couldn’t get that tongue weight on our 2600RB if I loaded everything on the tongue at the hitch ball.

The 1,140 tongue weight is 516 lbs over our delivered hitch weight from the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet. The 6,480 lbs trailer weight is only 402 lbs over the delivered UVW from the same info sheet. If I put all 402 lbs on the hitch ball, we would still be 100 lbs. under the stated tongue weight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, but you don’t get tongue weight from a Catscale either. You only get axle weights. (And yes, I know you can determine tongue weight from differences in the axle weights.) But I’m still amazed how one gets that much tongue weight with so little trailer weight. I couldn’t get that tongue weight on our 2600RB if I loaded everything on the tongue at the hitch ball.

The 1,140 tongue weight is 516 lbs over our delivered hitch weight from the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet. The 6,480 lbs trailer weight is only 402 lbs over the delivered UVW from the same info sheet. If I put all 402 lbs on the hitch ball, we would still be 100 lbs. under the stated tongue weight.
    Here are my CAT scale weights when we had a 2015 Silverado 1500. Truck alone= Steer Axle: 3480 Drive Axle 2580, w/WD= Steer Axle: 3540 Drive Axle:3520 trailer:5780, wo/WD= Steer Axle:3280 Drive Axle:3940 Trailer: 5640
    This is for a 2400 BH and I still struggle interpreting these number so hopefully someone will verify that this puts me in the 1K tongue weight range which in my case is almost 20%.

This is the calculator I used/found on the web..... http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeigh...ailerCatScales

Side note: My GVW is 7060 with a GVWR of 7100. This is the main reason we decided to upgrade our TV.
    Last edited by Tgunter5; 02-23-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    Here are my CAT scale weights when we had a 2015 Silverado 1500. Truck alone= Steer Axle: 3480 Drive Axle 2580, w/WD= Steer Axle: 3540 Drive Axle:3520 trailer:5780, wo/WD= Steer Axle:3280 Drive Axle:3940 Trailer: 5640
    This is for a 2400 BH and I still struggle interpreting these number so hopefully someone will verify that this puts me in the 1K tongue weight range which in my case is almost 20%.

This is the calculator I used/found on the web..... http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeigh...ailerCatScales

Side note: My GVW is 7060 with a GVWR of 7100. This is the main reason we decided to upgrade our TV.
    Add your tow vehicles combined axle weights with the trailer connected but without the WD engaged.

Subtract your tow vehicles combined axle weights w/o the trailer connected.

7,220 - 6,060 = 1,160 lbs if my math is correct.

I still struggle with how you can get that tongue weight with that trailer weight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add your tow vehicles combined axle weights with the trailer connected but without the WD engaged.

Subtract your tow vehicles combined axle weights w/o the trailer connected.

7,220 - 6,060 = 1,160 lbs if my math is correct.

I still struggle with how you can get that tongue weight with that trailer weight.
    well let me confuse you even further!!! Here are my numbers with the EXACT same trailer but our new TV........Truck alone= Steer Axle:4300 Drive Axle:3540 , w/WD= Steer Axle:4200 Drive Axle:4660 trailer:5960, wo/WD= Steer Axle:3980 Drive Axle:4680 Trailer:5940

How is the tongue weight so much different???? Like I said, its hard for me to interpret the numbers but that link breaks everything down for me and the camper weights are within 40lbs of each other, the trucks are obviously gonna be different but I cant explain the tongue weight difference??? I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just find it very, very odd
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    well let me confuse you even further!!! Here are my numbers with the EXACT same trailer but our new TV........Truck alone= Steer Axle:4300 Drive Axle:3540 , w/WD= Steer Axle:4200 Drive Axle:4660 trailer:5960, wo/WD= Steer Axle:3980 Drive Axle:4680 Trailer:5940

How is the tongue weight so much different???? Like I said, its hard for me to interpret the numbers but that link breaks everything down for me and the camper weights are within 40lbs of each other, the trucks are obviously gonna be different but I cant explain the tongue weight difference??? I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, I just find it very, very odd
    Your tongue weight lost 340 lbs by just switching trucks? Not likely. The tongue weight from your recent readings make much more sense though. At 820 lbs, you tongue weight is about 13.7% of the trailers weight.

The tongue weight on our 2600RB is only 750 lbs. That is from direct measurement using a tongue weight guage.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your tongue weight lost 340 lbs by just switching trucks? Not likely. The tongue weight from your recent readings make much more sense though. At 820 lbs, you tongue weight is about 13.7% of the trailers weight.

The tongue weight on our 2600RB is only 750 lbs. That is from direct measurement using a tongue weight guage.
    Here is something to keep in mind : TW on a TT can vary a LOT in the course of a trip. Fresh water moves from its tank to the black/grey tanks. Food gets eaten and leaves the pantry/fridge ending up in the black tank. Propane gets consumed and disappears. Clean clothes become soiled and change locations....etc. And everyone loads their TT different, and has different usage patterns. .

I am not suprised at all by the different numbers reported.... In fact it is what I expect.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast