User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins Onan 5500

Installing a Cummins Onan 5500 liquid propane (LP) generator on board a 2021 Solitude 310GK.

The coach came prepped for generator, should just be plug and go right? WRONG.

We have the generator in the coach, bolted with the exhaust hooked up, we just need the following to bring the project home:

1) Connect the 5 generator wires (1x green, 2x white, 2x black) to the coach electrical module, that contains 1x red, 1x white, 1x black in clusters.
    2) Gas line (assuming 3/8” hose) from the T-adapter on the female part (coach) to male (inlet to generator).
    3) Connector wires from the coach battery leads to the generator.

Does anyone have any actual experience doing this themselves? If so, I’d love to hear from those who have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 RAM 3500 Mega-Cab, 6.7L(HO), SWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the 310GK, 5500W LP Cummins Onan Generator (29 March 2021):
    I am pleased to report the job is done, and the fifth wheel has power! Let the boon-docking
    commence!

Many folks in my family are mechanically inclined, however, the general consensus after the weekend in not finding parts or resources, was that this was beyond their scope of skillset (DEFEAT!).

We took the RV into a local professional that specializes with installing generators and it was completed in about 4 hours, at a very reasonable price.

Looking back, I now know why I couldn’t find any literature or YouTube videos online for RV generator install; most consumers are wise enough to leave it to the professionals from the begging to do a job like this. There are many parts and various rules of engagement depending on the fuel source you use (i.e., propane, gasoline, diesel, etc.). Side note: when the generator arrived from the vendor, it did not have an “install kit” that came with it. We did order an exhaust pipe.

The actual cost to have the generator installed by a local business professional was significantly less than what the GD factory or local dealer would charge.

In summary, if you find yourself in this situation, research a small local business to get the job done. They’ll most likely do quality work, you support local business, you save time, and it’ll be done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 RAM 3500 Mega-Cab, 6.7L(HO), SWB