User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there done that. Same thing with A B& W Companion Hitch. Rolled back and latched on and handle closed, I got out put the pin it and did not notice that the truck moved forward a couple of inches and did not take a good look at the king pin to make sure the jaws were surrounding the king pin. I don't make that mistake again. I triple check the king pin and jaws, double check that the pin is in the hitch, do the pull test and than look at the king pin again and raise my legs and then I am ready to take off.
    Jim Bonhote, 2021 2930RL, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
    I share this just so my mistake may be a reminder to everyone not to get sloppy when hitching and unhitching. Fortunately, insurance will cover less the $500 deductible. An expensive lesson for sure.

Chris
    Thanks for sharing! I’ve added a new item to our departure checklist!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 260RD Fifth wheel
    Solar 800 watt 400 ah

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And hopefully for thoughs that
    Do have an “Opps” with TV & RV both, you Carry you insurance via the same policy !

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
    Yep. The guy who installed this hitch was adamant that the pull test wasn’t necessary with that hitch, “If the cam handle closes and you can see the jaws around the king pin it’s locked in.” I only got half that right.

And yes, we didn’t get the truck backed up quite far enough to lock in the kingpin. The cam handled closed. I just never looked to check to make sure I could see the jaws locked around the kingpin.

Just a super stupid mistake that won’t happen again.

Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing, your posting will save someone from having the same problem.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear some people leave their legs down and do the pull test. That is not a good policy. You are putting a lot of stress on the legs. You should raise the legs 1/2 to 1 in and then do the pull test. After that you can raise the leg. After that I do one more walk around and recheck the hitch to make sure the hitch is still locked in.

Jim Bonhote, 2021 Solitude 2930RL, 2015 Ford F-350 Platinum, B&W Hitch, Firestone airbags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve read many many posts about the “drop”. I’m in the process of upgrading from a TT to a 5’er. Just picked a new Ram 3500 DRW. Now that I have the horse, will decide on the cart once the RV industry settles down in 2023?
    My plan is to go Reese Goosebox. No drop, empty bed, and save a couple hundred pounds of payload with no hitch. Anyone with a Goosebox have hitching issues??

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I’ve read many many posts about the “drop”. I’m in the process of upgrading from a TT to a 5’er. Just picked a new Ram 3500 DRW. Now that I have the horse, will decide on the cart once the RV industry settles down in 2023?
    My plan is to go Reese Goosebox. No drop, empty bed, and save a couple hundred pounds of payload with no hitch. Anyone with a Goosebox have hitching issues??
    No issues with the GooseBox, I Love it !!!!

The one thing we did that made hitching easier was to paint a 2" white stripe on the center of GooseBox and a corresponding white stripe on the tailgate and truck bed. With the High-mount camera this really helps me line up with the center of the truck and gets me right to the ball.

PS: I just responded to a new camper with a GooseBox that had trouble getting the camper off the truck. The problem is that the little keeper on the un-hitch cable can slip and not open the release pin enough. So, you might want to keep an eye out for that little keeper slipping. I had to adjust and tighten mine when I first installed it.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to this forum, I was prepared for this issue.

- Always visually check the pin and hitch to verify engagement.
    - Always do a pull test (I leave chocks in place and raise jacks about 1/2").
    - Always do a lights test as a last departure check.

I added the last one because I left on a 75mi back road trip and didn't verify the 7 pin plug was in. It sure felt weird when I was braking, but fortunately the truck was able to brake successfully (and Wisconsin is flat). I discovered the problem when un-hitching. I was too stupid to understand the problem early... Now I know what it feels like with no trailer brakes.

Sharing these issues are the real value in being on a forum like this.
    Thanks;
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread, but I hope someone who has experienced a trailer drop can look at these pictures of a used trailer I'm considering. The owner told me he was moving the trailer to mow under it while he's been trying to sell it. His friend hitched it improperly and the trailer fell on his bed. These look like stress cracks that are about a foot long and are on either side of the pinbox, at a 45 degree angle pointng towards the pinbox. From the posts I've read in this thread, most people say the trailer was unscathed and the truck rails took all the damage. For anyone who has experienced this firsthand, does this look like a fall from a hitch, or something more serious?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left_crack.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	41259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right_crack.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	41260
    Left.............................................. ....Right

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That just looks like surface damage where it hit the back of the truck. Take a look where the jacks bolt to the frame. That will tell how hard it hit. Make sure the frame and jack mounts are not bent.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast