User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmnklm View Post
    I’ll let others weigh in, here but most 1/2 ton trucks do not have built in break controllers while more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do. Again, the difference is a combination of things and anyone who has gone from a 1/2 ton coming close to its limits to a 3/4 ton pulling that same load will tell you the same thing. It makes a world of difference having a beefier tow vehicle in every way.
    Yeah you are right , but no sense trying to convince someone who has convinced themselves the two are equal. Most who have towed with a 1500 vs a 2500 can recognize the difference immediately. But if you haven’t done it don’t know what you don’t know.

There is a reason that a Ram 1500 has a payload capacity of 1700 lbs and my Ram 2500 has a payload capacity of 3300 lbs. it isn’t for looks. You are always going to find the internet posters who poopoo the metrics.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Comment deleted for rudeness.
    Not necessary to call me “ the weight police”. That’s derogatory .

That takes a good give and take conversation to a personal level. The purpose of the forum is to give the questioner, others watching or reading the forum different opinions. They can then formulate their plan.

The following is your statement in a previous post :

“Before my current setup I had a 2014 Jayco 17a hybrid that I hauled from Pennsylvania with a 2010 Toyota RAV4
    It towed it like it was on a rail

The Jayco sits low and with the rav it was very stable with zero sway
    I was wayyyyy overloaded
    Overloaded on the rav and overloaded on the trailer but it towed flawlessly for 5 years until I got my Sierra “

To answer your question I didn’t need to purchase a 3500 dually as it wasn’t necessary to tow our trailer within the safe limits as prescribed by EXPERTS who do this for a living as well as the limits by the manufacturer for SAFETY. our 3300 payload capacity is much more than we utilize. I value our vehicle and trailer and want them not only to last but want to tow safely for the people surrounding me on the road. I guess that’s the difference in philosophy.

Putting aside the ruining of a Towing vehicle overworking it’s engine , it’s components or frame, I like to think that the person coming at me or I am passing can control their vehicle in case of an emergency or blowout. That somewhat means staying in conventional “ norms”. Bragging about being “Waaay Overweight”is really not comforting and not good advice to new people looking for information to enjoy RVing IMHO.

if you tow excessive payload capacity”waaay overweight” of a towing vehicle how can you expect to stop the combo when faced with a sudden blowout or evasion maneuver. The norms are establish to protect people, if not yourself but the others around you sharing the road. This question is not direct of you but a matter of philosophy. That doesn’t make those of us who stay within those norms/ rules the “weight police”.

I am always safety first, for us and then others. Enjoying our trailer and yes even our sailboat ( we often sail hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic) to me requires being safe as the alternative can be catastrophic . Just because a F450 can tow a tanker full of gasoline by towing capacity, doesn’t mean it’s the right vehicle to do it. While it might get it moving in ideal conditions, it can’t be safe in avoidance situations. That’s why Towing capacity is only one factor. Payload capacity is as important . The towing vehicle must be able safely control the total combo after in motion
    Last edited by Second Chance; 02-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmnklm View Post
    I’ll let others weigh in, here but most 1/2 ton trucks do not have built in break controllers while more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks do. Again, the difference is a combination of things and anyone who has gone from a 1/2 ton coming close to its limits to a 3/4 ton pulling that same load will tell you the same thing. It makes a world of difference having a beefier tow vehicle in every way.
    Most if not all Ford 1/2 tons with tow package will have a built in BRAKE controller. My 2019 does and sway control, but not sure how that figures in.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Not necessary to call me “ the weight police”. That’s derogatory .

That takes a good give and take conversation to a personal level. The purpose of the forum is to give the questioner, others watching or reading the forum different opinions. They can then formulate their plan.

The following is your statement in a previous post :

“Before my current setup I had a 2014 Jayco 17a hybrid that I hauled from Pennsylvania with a 2010 Toyota RAV4
    It towed it like it was on a rail

The Jayco sits low and with the rav it was very stable with zero sway
    I was wayyyyy overloaded
    Overloaded on the rav and overloaded on the trailer but it towed flawlessly for 5 years until I got my Sierra “

To answer your question I didn’t need to purchase a 3500 dually as it wasn’t necessary to tow our trailer within the safe limits as prescribed by EXPERTS who do this for a living as well as the limits by the manufacturer for SAFETY. our 3300 payload capacity is much more than we utilize. I value our vehicle and trailer and want them not only to last but want to tow safely for the people surrounding me on the road. I guess that’s the difference in philosophy.

Putting aside the ruining of a Towing vehicle overworking it’s engine , it’s components or frame, I like to think that the person coming at me or I am passing can control their vehicle in case of an emergency or blowout. That somewhat means staying in conventional “ norms”. Bragging about being “Waaay Overweight”is really not comforting and not good advice to new people looking for information to enjoy RVing IMHO.

if you tow excessive payload capacity”waaay overweight” of a towing vehicle how can you expect to stop the combo when faced with a sudden blowout or evasion maneuver. The norms are establish to protect people, if not yourself but the others around you sharing the road. This question is not direct of you but a matter of philosophy. That doesn’t make those of us who stay within those norms/ rules the “weight police”.

I am always safety first, for us and then others. Enjoying our trailer and yes even our sailboat ( we often sail hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic) to me requires being safe as the alternative can be catastrophic . Just because a F450 can tow a tanker full of gasoline by towing capacity, doesn’t mean it’s the right vehicle to do it. While it might get it moving in ideal conditions, it can’t be safe in avoidance situations. That’s why Towing capacity is only one factor. Payload capacity is as important . The towing vehicle must be able safely control the total combo after in motion
    And I am within the specs of my truck for the trailer I have but I am sure you would tell me I need a bigger truck.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Most if not all Ford 1/2 tons with tow package will have a built in BRAKE controller. My 2019 does and sway control, but not sure how that figures in.
    I wanted to throw out there something about the the sway control that is built into the current trucks. It does not prevent sway, it is not a proactive system, like sway control devices on your hitch. It only activates when it detects the trailer swaying past a predetermined amount, by reducing engine power, applying truck brakes, or even trailer brakes. One should not allow a trailer to get to that point. If it is activating, you already have a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Agreed that if you have an optional tow package on LATER model 1/2 tons that you will have a built in brake controller. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks come with it standard, even on the base models.

As far as the operation of the sway control in the built in brake controller, WileyKid is quite correct, it is absolutely meant to help prevent a disaster and should not come into play if you are operating safely. Here is the quote from my owner's manual on Trailer Sway Control (TSC)

"TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an excessively swaying trailer and will take the appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway. TSC will become active automatically once an excessively swaying trailer is recognized."

Like it's stated above, you don't wanna go there.
    2021 GDRV Reflection 320MKS 5ver (hauled by The Beast)
    The Beast - 2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, CC, LB, DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO, Aisin 6spd, 4wd
    Previous: 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C towing 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman S (both 4 sale)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So....NB....Please let us know your routing in the future....like RV Sailor stated, if you're the type that can RATIONALIZE being WAY OVERWEIGHT I don't want to be on any road near you.

When the DW and I walk our dog in various parks, I see a lot of people like you, with tow units not up to the task they are towing.

Come into the Mountains of the West and try to take on some 25 mph curve at the bottom of a 3 mile long 7-8% grade and see how well your vehicle does.....it's ALWAYS good to have a safety factor built in.....
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    So....NB....Please let us know your routing in the future....like RV Sailor stated, if you're the type that can RATIONALIZE being WAY OVERWEIGHT I don't want to be on any road near you.

When the DW and I walk our dog in various parks, I see a lot of people like you, with tow units not up to the task they are towing.

Come into the Mountains of the West and try to take on some 25 mph curve at the bottom of a 3 mile long 7-8% grade and see how well your vehicle does.....it's ALWAYS good to have a safety factor built in.....
    The tow vehicle was not wayyyy overweight the trailer was. Every one of them are that are on the road. It is impossible to not be overweight with trailers that have a 3500 lb gvwr. I had 400 lbs of ccc
    And don’t worry. You won’t be anywhere near me. You likely will pass me at a higher rate of speed
    And like I have said I am within specs of my truck with my current set up so I am unsure sure what your issue is?

That comment was about a past setup that worked fine without an issue

Btw come to the east around the coast if you want to see a grade

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments on this. I am going to quite aware of what the built in sway control does. Just
    making a comment on the relevance of it. Since I started driving semi’s in the early 70’s and having had 4 bumper pulls, 2 fivers and a classA, I have a little bit of experience towing. The size of the truck is not the most important issue as long as the weight of the towable is within reason. Experience is key. I have seen many people with a much larger truck and smaller camper that had no clue how to even back up much less know what to do in an emergency situation. Brake controllers? A necessity but knowing how to set one up is important. Arguing about if it comes standard is mute because if it didn’t you are probably not set up to tow anything anyway. Most trucks ar plug and play to install one but then you get back to the other needed equipment.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 2600 RB had an actual 1140 lb tongue weight when I put it on a CAT scale. My 1500 CC Bighorn Ram had a payload of 1404 lb.
    The GCWR was 13,680 and the max for the vehicle was 13,900. That was empty waste tanks and approx 15 gallons of freshwater, and not very much loaded into the trailer and only 1 week's worth of supplies (no firewood). Trailer weight was at 6480, well under the max of 7800.
    But I was overloaded.
    The 1500 had plenty of puling power and plenty of braking power, but out of capacity on weight.

I just traded trucks, now I have a 2500 CC Bighorn Ram with a Cummins. Last week's CAT scale with this rig showed 6440 on the trailer similar to the first weigh, 1180 tongue weight also similar, but the truck's payload capacity is 2244 so I have plenty of room for firewood, beer, screen room, generator, etc. Total weight of the rig was 15,780 but I now have a GCWR of almost 28,000 lb so I have plenty of reserve.
    This truck blows the 1500 away in power and stability (but the 1500 had better brakes IMO). It's going back to the dealer to have the brakes checked this week.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast