User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Good problems to ponder. The Ram 2500 is a beauty but the ford f350 with the new 7.3 gas looks great too. Whatever TT you decide on take into consideration having the dinet with the big windows in the back. If you back into sites with a view - mountains or water - there's nothing like sitting there enjoying the view when you can't be outside. Best of luck!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen a few trailers with the dinette in the back. I quite like the concept and it seems to be a really good use of space!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be the 2500 gas at a minimum. A 3500 would be better. Trucks are more expensive than most trailers. Buy the one ton now and when you upgrade you won't have to also buy a new truck.

The listed tongue weight of my trailer is 480 lbs. Actual weight when loaded is 960 lbs. Twice as much. Because of where I live I didn't have the option to buy a bigger truck so even though it's just the wife and I it is still a struggle to keep the all the numbers within limits. Payload capacity of the truck is the limiting factor. For my truck it's 1740 lbs. But when I put almost 1000 lbs on the hitch I only have around 750 lbs to play with. Throw in the wife (not literally) some tools, a couple of generators, gas for the generators and other miscellaneous items and I start getting close to maxing out. The truck pulls it just fine both up and down hills and I haven't had any serious sway issues but so far I haven't encountered any strong winds.

Bottom line is it's better to have to much truck than to much trailer.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    My advice would be the 2500 gas at a minimum. A 3500 would be better. Trucks are more expensive than most trailers. Buy the one ton now and when you upgrade you won't have to also buy a new truck.

The listed tongue weight of my trailer is 480 lbs. Actual weight when loaded is 960 lbs. Twice as much. Because of where I live I didn't have the option to buy a bigger truck so even though it's just the wife and I it is still a struggle to keep the all the numbers within limits. Payload capacity of the truck is the limiting factor. For my truck it's 1740 lbs. But when I put almost 1000 lbs on the hitch I only have around 750 lbs to play with. Throw in the wife (not literally) some tools, a couple of generators, gas for the generators and other miscellaneous items and I start getting close to maxing out. The truck pulls it just fine both up and down hills and I haven't had any serious sway issues but so far I haven't encountered any strong winds.

Bottom line is it's better to have to much truck than to much trailer.
    Thank you. I don’t understand how all these trailers are marketed as half ton towable when they really shouldn’t be!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . The listed tongue weight of my trailer is 480 lbs. Actual weight when loaded is 960 lbs. Twice as much.
    How did you come up with that tongue weight on that RV. Tongue weight scale? Catscale weights?

We have a slightly larger and slightly heavier Imagine RV and I can’t see how I could ever get that tongue weight. Our pass thru storage area is loaded to the gills, but tongue weight increased less than 150 lbs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmurray920 View Post
    Thank you. I don’t understand how all these trailers are marketed as half ton towable when they really shouldn’t be!
    A half ton is 1,000 lbs. In reality 1500 trucks can transport considerably more than that. Our GM 1500 has a payload of over 1700 lbs. and could readily tow the RVs your looking at with the cabin weight you listed.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh???

All the trailers you listed ARE easily half ton towable

Imo any trailer under 28 feet can easily be towed with a “half ton” and well within specs

But if you are having to get a new truck as well , sure get a 3/4 ton. Why wouldn’t you?
    The price isn’t that much different

But a half ton can easily tow these trailers and thus why they are marketed towards half tons

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    How did you come up with that tongue weight on that RV. Tongue weight scale? Catscale weights?

We have a slightly larger and slightly heavier Imagine RV and I can’t see how I could ever get that tongue weight. Our pass thru storage area is loaded to the gills, but tongue weight increased less than 150 lbs.
    Tongue weight scale I borrowed from my brother in law. It's less than a year old. To be honest it doesn't sound right to me either. I plan to take it to a CAT scale for some detailed weighing within the next two or three weeks. According to the specs the tongue weighs 480 lbs. Add two six volt AGM batteries and two 20 lb propane tanks on the tongue and in the pass through a ClearSource Ultra water filter, a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 inverter, and half a dozen plastic bins with maybe another 150 lbs of stuff and it does add up. Plus our bed is in front of the axles and we added a 3" queen mattress topper which weighs around 50 lbs plus all the clothes we are taking on the trip are stored in front of the axles. I don't know but I'm hoping to find out. It would be nice if my brother in law's scale was wrong. Maybe I can find someone else who has one.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tongue weight scale I borrowed from my brother in law. It's less than a year old. To be honest it doesn't sound right to me either. I plan to take it to a CAT scale for some detailed weighing within the next two or three weeks. According to the specs the tongue weighs 480 lbs. Add two six volt AGM batteries and two 20 lb propane tanks on the tongue and in the pass through a ClearSource Ultra water filter, a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 inverter, and half a dozen plastic bins with maybe another 150 lbs of stuff and it does add up. Plus our bed is in front of the axles and we added a 3" queen mattress topper which weighs around 50 lbs plus all the clothes we are taking on the trip are stored in front of the axles. I don't know but I'm hoping to find out. It would be nice if my brother in law's scale was wrong. Maybe I can find someone else who has one.
    Unlikely the tongue weight scale is that far off. It’s age is not relavent. That guage is pretty simply; a hydraulic cylinder with known surface area and a pressure guage with a scale calibrated to indicate psi divided by the area of the piston of the of the Hydraulic cylinder.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is debatable on so many levels, but one of the most discussed issues about towing on any of the forums I read.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast