User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My observation-

Men and women are equally capable of driving/towing anything. In fact, I've read that women are actually better at driving heavy equipment because they are more gentle and don't tear things up.

I think the reason you don't see many women pulling RV's is because most men prefer to do it and most women like the fact that their man wants to drive. Who wouldn't? Heck, I'd love to sit back and watch the scenery (or a movie for that matter) but I want to be in charge while towing. I still have more testosterone. This works great for us. My wife can take naps while I drive and I get treated like a king when we arrive at our destination. "You drove all day hun. Can I get you anything???" "Why yes! I would like some ice cream, thank you."
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. We have pulled a pop-up for a year or two, A 23 Foot Frolic for 6 or so years, a 39 foot Layton TT for 25 years, a 35 Foot 5er for 4 years, and not a 42.5 foot Solitude since 2017. Our first year as snowbirds we bought the Solitude and my Dear Wife pulled the 35 foot 5er from northern Florida back to Michigan, round trip, in 36 hours. Until that time she had always pulled our boat(s) while I pulled our RV's. The boats ranged from 14 foot for a few years to two different tandem trailers with 2000+ pound boats. She can back a boat into the water better than ANY man!

All that being said, my wife is very willing and able to pull our 14K+ Solitude, but I don't want her to bear the responsibility. I have no doubt that she is very capable of pulling a trailer 7 or 8 times heavier than any boat she has ever pulled. From pulling long, heavy trailers for 35+ years I also know how other drivers treat RV's on the road as a nuisance, how tiny little cars jump out in front and slam on the brakes, etc., and also being very mechanical I realize the torture our truck goes through and what noises to listen for while its doing all that work. But, because we have our lives and thousands of $$ at stake, if something really bad happens, I would rather own that responsibility so she won't have to. It sounds petty, but ask her, I'm selfish.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My great gal has NEVER driven our rig down the highway, during our 30 years of pulling our RV until.... (I was waiting for hernia surgery that was cancelled last spring due to Covid) we were heading out on our famous Hwy 5 in BC.
    I had an attack very suddenly and found a place to pull over. I was in a great deal of pain and my wife (without missing a beat) kicked me out of my seat and continued down the highway for another 2 hours. I was very impressed and she was driving a mountain Hwy with a 33 ft 5th wheel for the first time.
    I will never underestimate her again 👍

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Upthere View Post
    My great gal has NEVER driven our rig down the highway, during our 30 years of pulling our RV until.... (I was waiting for hernia surgery that was cancelled last spring due to Covid) we were heading out on our famous Hwy 5 in BC.
    I had an attack very suddenly and found a place to pull over. I was in a great deal of pain and my wife (without missing a beat) kicked me out of my seat and continued down the highway for another 2 hours. I was very impressed and she was driving a mountain Hwy with a 33 ft 5th wheel for the first time.
    I will never underestimate her again 👍
    I do most of the driving, BUT I insist my wife drive from time to time for the very reason you noted above. You never know when you'll find yourself in an emergency situation. I want to make sure that she's comfortable with the rig and can get herself to a safe location in the event anything ever happened to me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not the main driver but as soon as I get my classes completed I will help. Of course the pandemic put that off a while. Hopefully, this year will prove to be the year. I hate to see my poor hubby doing all the driving. Of course, we only ventured around Michigan last summer.
    Patty and Kevin Mead - Michigan
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
    2016 GMC Denali, 2500 Turbo Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I do most of the driving, BUT I insist my wife drive from time to time for the very reason you noted above. You never know when you'll find yourself in an emergency situation. I want to make sure that she's comfortable with the rig and can get herself to a safe location in the event anything ever happened to me.
    That’s why I signed up for classes!
    Patty and Kevin Mead - Michigan
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
    2016 GMC Denali, 2500 Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes in fact my wife drove our rig yesterday part of the way from Galveston to Austin. I drove through Houston and part of the way west on I10, then the wife took over. We switched back at a Bucee's and she did great turning into Bucee's and maneuvering through their parking lot. This was right before we got to our next campground. She just isn't comfortable backing the rig into a site and that's ok.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    My observation-

Men and women are equally capable of driving/towing anything. In fact, I've read that women are actually better at driving heavy equipment because they are more gentle and don't tear things up.

I think the reason you don't see many women pulling RV's is because most men prefer to do it and most women like the fact that their man wants to drive. Who wouldn't? Heck, I'd love to sit back and watch the scenery (or a movie for that matter) but I want to be in charge while towing. I still have more testosterone. This works great for us. My wife can take naps while I drive and I get treated like a king when we arrive at our destination. "You drove all day hun. Can I get you anything???" "Why yes! I would like some ice cream, thank you."
    That's not the way we work it. I'm responsible for navigation, and watching the tire monitor, as well as keeping an eye right side (on ramps, as well a anyone stupid enough to drive up the shoulder - yes, it's happened) while traveling.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 4 sons learned early that the truck is mom's. We started with an F150 and now she drives an F250 Diesel. First trailer was a Scamp pulled with an Explorer. Now it's a GD 310 GK. 2 hours or cross country my wife drives. My DIL has no trouble driving the rig either. Her father was a trucker for many years. He says it's in her blood. I usually drive when it is time to park it. I backed a 25' flat bed trailer into the garage with 1" clearance on each side. Didn't touch once. Putting the 5er into a spot with trees, power and water spigots is no trouble for me. She does the long haul and I do the finesse.

It's scary that it doesn't bother her. I'm safe as long as she doesn't know how to put the hitch in the bed and torque it down. If she knew where I keep the torque wrench and how to install the hitch she would be tempted to be gone before I got home from work! I left the hitch in once and had to fly from Utah to Texas to catch up with her!

BTW - Her sister also does the driving in their family.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. "

My wife does drive our RAM/303RLS rig. It really comes in handy when I have to work while riding down road.
    Jeff, Deborah & Ginger 🐶

2020 Ram 2500 4x4 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73
    2021 Reflection 303RLS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast