User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 100 pounds of extra cargo is having a wife and two small children. Just giving the buffer for their future as well. Obviously the plan is to keep this combo for several years.

I know after reading and talking with friends that I will probably be in the cargo range you are in, which is the 7-800 pounds total. At this time, my wife is not completely sold on boondocking, so the water tank would not be fully loaded either.

And you are 1000% correct on me being the one driving it. I think getting a good WDH will take care a lot of any concerns. I am a LEO, so I have my fair share of driving all speeds and different types of vehicles, including a transport bus!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    We have a 2400BH and tow with a 2019 F150 3.5EB 157WB (payload = 1697). Me, wife, child, dog, and "stuff" approximately 500lb. Tongue weight (from Sherline scale) is 875. We load most everything in the trailer before heading out. I have not run across scales but plan to once new hitch is installed. All that said...

F150 tows OK with Andersen WDH but not great. I have not been able to get the hitch dialed in as much as I'd like. A bit too much pushing around from passing trucks (and even larger SUVs). It was great with our previous trailer (a hybrid), but I have decided that we needed a better hitch. Ordered a Propride last week as I decided the extra cost was worth it if I was going to tow close to payload limit.

For "local" trips (<3 hours), my current setup would be fine as I keep speeds below 65mph and avoid interstates. I actually enjoy driving two lane roads and seeing the country. However, we will do longer trips and that is the reason for the upgraded hitch.

As for the truck, we actually "upgraded" to the 2019 3.5 from a 2013 5.0. The "old" truck only had payload = 1311 and the torque curve on the 5.0 leaves a lot to be desired for towing. The 3.5 is a MUCH better towing engine (the 10 speed tranny is a nice bonus).

I am very confident that the F150 will be a capable and safe tow vehicle for this camper with an upgraded hitch. Would a F250 be better? Yes. But it's my daily driver and I have parking garages to deal with. Ah the life of an urban dweller.

I hope this is helpful. Once I get the Propride and get it installed, I am happy to provide additional thoughts on comparison.
    Sounds like you run your family in the truck, minus miscellaneous items? All of the other gear is stored in the trailer?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post

At this time, my wife is not completely sold on boondocking, so the water tank would not be fully loaded either.
    My wife wouldn’t like the idea of boondocking either
    And it does require a lot of payload to do it. Water ,generators and battery banks add hundreds upon hundreds of weight
    Just something we will never do
    We stay in National parks which offer huge sites with even some offering full hook ups at only 37 cdn a night

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and don't think I'll get my wife to ever do it as well. But like you said, it takes a lot more weight to do it.

That's our goal is to stay in those types of places, not necessary will full hook ups, but that would be a bonus! We're in Northern California, so we have a ton of options around us. Unfortunately, RV'ing is super popular right now due to COVID, so I'm hoping it cools down once we open back up!

Our goal is to see the 2400 tomorrow, along with the XLS23BHE and the XLS21BHE
    Last edited by jsxtreme01; 04-02-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post
    Yeah and don't think I'll get my wife to ever do it as well. But like you said, it takes a lot more weight to do it.

That's our goal is to stay in those types of places, not necessary will full hook ups, but that would be a bonus! We're in Northern California, so we have a ton of options around us. Unfortunately, RV'ing is super popular right now due to COVID, so I'm hoping it cools down once we open back up!

Our goal is to see the 2400 tomorrow, along with the XLS23BHE and the XLS21BHE
    Good luck.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the information NB! It's been a big help and you are making me feel more comfortable about the 2400.

I also appreciate the looking at the numbers and not screaming, you need a 2500! If it were that easy, it would have been done already!
    Last edited by jsxtreme01; 04-02-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New here in the forum. Just bought a 2400 a week ago. Towing it with a half ton was fairly easy. I loaded today for my first trip, is me (dude), my wife, my granddaughter and my sweet mother. All the stuff I loaded do not reach 300#.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax2400bh View Post
    New here in the forum. Just bought a 2400 a week ago. Towing it with a half ton was fairly easy. I loaded today for my first trip, is me (dude), my wife, my granddaughter and my sweet mother. All the stuff I loaded do not reach 300#.
    What are the specs on your truck? Payload, etc?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely need a good quality WDH. Unfortunately there's like a million choices out there!!! I've only used one type/brand since I'm relatively new to rv'ing but I've been happy with the reese stedi-flex. Recently saw that weight safe has a new product that has me intrigued.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2400BH that we tow with our 2017 tundra. Loaded up and ready to camp, we’re right at or even just a hair over the available payload but under on the axle ratings. It doesn’t look or drive like it’s anywhere near that heavy though. I’ve spent some time at the CAT scale dialing in the WD hitch and it is very easy to drive. No sway when 18-wheelers are passing or issues in the wind.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast