User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our old 30 amp days, we had a 150’ worth of cable/cord.

We never seemed to use it, but lent it out to others quite a bit.

Will still keep all in new trailer plus at lest one 30’ 50 amp cord for travelling.
    2018 Chev Silverado 3500 HD diesel
    2021 Solitude 380FL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased one of these just in case we would need it....
    https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Exten...8585819&sr=8-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 15' 50amp extension. In 3 years had to use it once at a state park in Maine. However I use it all the time in order to plug in at the house.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been my experience that when I need to extend the reach of my 50amp cord it is only to a badly located 30amp box. So I just carry a 30amp cord.

The same applies when attending rallies that provide power. The power is 30amp (at best) so no need to haul around another 50amp cord - no matter the length.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought a 30' 50 AMP and i think it's 4 gauge. It was spendy but we don't have to worry about burning out AC units for the amp drop of the cheaper cords. I want to say it was over $200 but it's a one time investment.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I am purchasing a 50A extension cord for our 2970RL. Our power cord connection point is mid trailer. The OEM power cord extends about 6 feet beyond the back of the TT. This summer we will be heading to some areas to the north and northeast and I know the hookup locations can be unpredictable and poorly placed in some of the parks we will be staying. I have looked and I am leaning towards a 15-foot extension cord. Primarily because 1) I think another 15 feet would be sufficient (of course until it's not), and 2) the increased cost, weight, and storage requirements for the longer ones is significant. Appreciate any feed back on what lengths you have have and what is really needed.

15 foot = $65.00 and 30 foot = $102 - is the extra $40 needed and not to mention the additional storage requirements and weight for a 30 foot.
    Smaller is better for storage and weight. You will need the added extension maybe once in a long trip. The OEM just will just not stretch. In the few times that I used my extension, I've found that I could make the OEM reach but it was putting high tension on the coach plug and the park box. Just adding a little length is all that is required. I also carry a 50' 12 ga extension cord and a 110 adapter with me. When I load at home, I use the 50' extension cord connected to a normal 110 duplex to run the main AC and start the electric refrigerator. The duplex is connected to a 20 amp breaker in the box. If I start the electric hot water tank, the breaker trips. I know my limits.

This last week, I camped at my Grandson house running to 3, 50' 12 gauge extension cords (150' total). I managed what I utilized when the AC was running. The table below may help. These are the measured loads for my unit that I took to size my inverter and battery bank. I didn't measure the AC because I don't plan to run the AC off the batteries. It probably runs just a little more than my microwave, which surprised me. Hopefully it will give you an appreciation of power consumption if you run off anything smaller than 50 amp service. Divide the watts by 110 to get amps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKS320 Power Loads.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	33590
    Last edited by wjpatter; 04-22-2021 at 06:14 AM.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    Smaller is better for storage and weight. You will need the added extension maybe once in a long trip. The OEM just will just not stretch. In the few times that I used my extension, I've found that I could make the OEM reach but it was putting high tension on the coach plug and the park box. Just adding a little length is all that is required. I also carry a 50' 12 ga extension cord and a 110 adapter with me. When I load at home, I use the 50' extension cord connected to a normal 110 duplex to run the main AC and start the electric refrigerator. The duplex is connected to a 20 amp breaker in the box. If I start the electric hot water tank, the breaker trips. I know my limits.

This last week, I camped at my Grandson house running to 3, 50' 12 gauge extension cords (150' total). I managed what I utilized when the AC was running. The table below may help. These are the measured loads for my unit that I took to size my inverter and battery bank. I didn't measure the AC because I don't plan to run the AC off the batteries. It probably runs just a little more than my microwave, which surprised me. Hopefully it will give you an appreciation of power consumption if you run off anything smaller than 50 amp service. Divide the watts by 110 to get amps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKS320 Power Loads.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	33590
    Thanks for the comments and the table. I have ordered a 15 foot 50 amp extension. I also ordered a Camco - 21052 90 degree bend to connect to the coach. I don't care for the strain that is put on the OEM plug connecting straight in. I am with some other comments in that if I can't reach with my OEM cord and a 15' extension, probably need to find another park.

Thanks to every one that replied/commented. The input was helpful. The comment by @nisbitch made sense in that a 30 amp with an adaptor should be sufficient. If the power pedestal is that far away I doubt it would have 50 amp service.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12