User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking About Getting a pair of E-Bikes (Electric Bikes)

Anyone using e-bikes? Been watching a few Youtube videos and looks like fun, but finding them a bit pricey.
    Would appreciate any input on size, brand, big tires vs small tires, how well batteries hold up/last, good dealers,
    good prices, folding or not, pedals or not, and any other comments, recommendations, advice etc. Thanks! Larry

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We travel with a pair of RadMinis and absolutely love them!

www.radpowerbikes.com

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to ride one of those. They look very interesting.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can build one pretty easily for $500 or less.
    There’s several videos on YouTube showing how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of people here at the Northern California Rally with electric bikes. But I believe Rad Power Bikes are the most popular. I'm waiting for Cyber Monday.....I heard that had a pretty steep price drop for Cyber Monday last year.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    There are a number of people here at the Northern California Rally with electric bikes.
    But I believe Rad Power Bikes are the most popular. I'm waiting for Cyber Monday.....
    I heard that had a pretty steep price drop for Cyber Monday last year.
    The couple we've been caravanning with for the past 5 months have one and I ride it at least once a week. We don't have room for any bikes at all or I'd build one myself. His Rad has a 750w motor and the battery lasts quite a while on a charge. I rode it about 10 miles one day, just cruising around a beach town, taking my time, it was about a 2 hour trip and the battery was at 75% when I got back. It tops out at 20 mph on a long flat road with no head wind but it doesn't have enough power to get my 240'ish lbs up steep hills without a good amount of my pedaling in low gear. I've rented several e-bikes during our travels that had more powerful motors with much better acceleration (off-the-line) and higher top speeds, so if I built one I'd select a 1000w motor, which I assume is the largest currently available. The Rads are well-built but extremely heavy, some folks might not even be able to lift one onto a bike rack. One major flaw in the Rad is they use cheap (non-hydraulic) disc brakes too.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one because I could build 2 or 3 of my own for the same cost.

Case in point, check out this video: YouTube Link
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    The couple we've been caravanning with for the past 5 months have one and I ride it at least once a week. We don't have room for any bikes at all or I'd build one myself. His Rad has a 750w motor and the battery lasts quite a while on a charge. I rode it about 10 miles one day, just cruising around a beach town, taking my time, it was about a 2 hour trip and the battery was at 75% when I got back. It tops out at 20 mph on a long flat road with no head wind but it doesn't have enough power to get my 240'ish lbs up steep hills without a good amount of my pedaling in low gear. I've rented several e-bikes during our travels that had more powerful motors with much better acceleration (off-the-line) and higher top speeds, so if I built one I'd select a 1000w motor, which I assume is the largest currently available. The Rads are well-built but extremely heavy, some folks might not even be able to lift one onto a bike rack. One major flaw in the Rad is they use cheap (non-hydraulic) disc brakes too.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one because I could build 2 or 3 of my own for the same cost.

Case in point, check out this video: YouTube Link
    You pointed out the down side of the Rad bike, what is the up side?

Also you say you can build an ebike for $500 and introduce the video however, that guy in the video already has a full supsension platform bike to start with. If you're starting from scratch as you or I would be, it's going to be much more than $500.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You pointed out the down side of the Rad bike, what is the up side?
    When we did our research I found the Rad bikes to be competitively priced if not down right a bargain. I knew we wanted better than Walmart quality ebikes for $800 or whatever and we couldn't afford the high end bikes so these meet our price point perfectly. Getting $200 off for buying 2 didn't hurt either.

They are heavy but they are solidly built and, in my opinion, have quality parts which on some other brands are upgrades. Let's see, as far as torque, I find it exceptional. Deb has to be very careful as they will jump if you give it full throttle from a stop. We typically pedal as much as possible because we are looking for some exercise but the bikes easily go their top programmed limit of 20 mph, which in some municipalities is the speed limit (such as Michigan). On the trip we just returned from we rode them multiple times on 25 mile trips. When we returned Deb's bike was always showing full charge and mine, because I also pull a trailer with our puppy in it, showed 4 out of 5 "bars" on the meter. We've never been far enough to show any real depletion on the battery. The other reason we were so attracted to these initially was the fat tires as we beach camp often. I'm eager to ride them at Quartzite in the rock and gravel.

look, everyone has there preference but it seems everywhere we go we get asked about them and we've had many other ebike riders say they wished they had known about these before they bought theirs.

JMHO, YMMV
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    When we did our research I found the Rad bikes to be competitively priced if not down right a bargain. I knew we wanted better than Walmart quality ebikes for $800 or whatever and we couldn't afford the high end bikes so these meet our price point perfectly. Getting $200 off for buying 2 didn't hurt either.

They are heavy but they are solidly built and, in my opinion, have quality parts which on some other brands are upgrades. Let's see, as far as torque, I find it exceptional. Deb has to be very careful as they will jump if you give it full throttle from a stop. We typically pedal as much as possible because we are looking for some exercise but the bikes easily go their top programmed limit of 20 mph, which in some municipalities is the speed limit (such as Michigan). On the trip we just returned from we rode them multiple times on 25 mile trips. When we returned Deb's bike was always showing full charge and mine, because I also pull a trailer with our puppy in it, showed 4 out of 5 "bars" on the meter. We've never been far enough to show any real depletion on the battery. The other reason we were so attracted to these initially was the fat tires as we beach camp often. I'm eager to ride them at Quartzite in the rock and gravel.

look, everyone has there preference but it seems everywhere we go we get asked about them and we've had many other ebike riders say they wished they had known about these before they bought theirs.

JMHO, YMMV
    Poppy when you say "25 mile" trips.....am I correct in assuming that is round trip and not one way?

Thanks for the info on pulling a trailer......can you tell us about that? We have two little critters that we'd not be OK with leaving for more than an hour or so.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Poppy when you say "25 mile" trips.....am I correct in assuming that is round trip and not one way?

Thanks for the info on pulling a trailer......can you tell us about that? We have two little critters that we'd not be OK with leaving for more than an hour or so.
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear but total miles for the days were 25 to 30 miles. The trailer is from a company called Croozer (https://www.amazon.com/Croozer-Premi...gateway&sr=8-4). We really like it. The trailer is on it's second dog. Our first dog was older when we got the trailer and never got really comfortable but our puppy, Miley, has been riding in it since she was months old and she loves it. The sell them in different sizes and there are other brands as well.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast