Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    How many members with 1,000+ ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are about 30 members with more than 1000 posts - you may be able to recognize them by their stubby fingers
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post counts, like on any other forum, means absolutly nothing. It's the quality of the posts that have meaning!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Membership (Site Sponsor)

Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Post counts, like on any other forum, means absolutly nothing. It's the quality of the posts that have meaning!
    I agree in theory but...

Most people that have high post counts got that far by posting helpful comments, answering questions and engaging in active discussions, not just saying “thanks”.

Generally speaking people that have no interest in being helpful just don’t bother posting at all.

So even though a few stars under your name might seem silly, I feel it’s vital that members who actually participate be recognized in some small way, due to the fact that the vast majority of registered members don’t bother to contribute at all... They’re purely parasitic, leeching information without ever giving anything back.

This is true on all online communities.
    I would guess there’s several thousand people reading posts here on a given day yet only a hundred or less “regulars” that actually take the time to post.

Anyway that’s my 2c
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 08-21-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree in theory but...

Most people that have high post counts got that far by posting helpful comments, answering questions and engaging in active discussions, not just saying “thanks”.

Generally speaking people that have no interest in being helpful just don’t bother posting at all.

So even though a few stars under your name might seem silly, I feel it’s vital that members who actually participate be recognized in some small way, due to the fact that the vast majority of registered members don’t bother to contribute at all... They’re purely parasitic, leeching information without ever giving anything back.

This is true on all online communities.
    I would guess there’s several thousand people reading posts here on a given day yet only a hundred or less “regulars” that actually take the time to post.

Anyway that’s my 2c
    You just made my point. If they have a high post count because they've been helping people by answering their questions, etc. then those are posts of value however, if people are posting things like "I agree" or the thumbs up or some other non-value post, just to get another star by their name then it is what it is.

I've been a Global Moderator on another forum since 2003. It was a very small forum when it started however, now we have members from 27 countries. We noticed that those that were asking about the different levels of badging (stars in this case) were often those that really had nothing to offer. A couple of them would get on a ride of welcoming members every day. Soon we noticed that they were posting welcoming members that had been on the forum longer than they had been. Eventually, us moderators decided to do away with the badging and post counts and then we noticed all the dumb chit posts fell by the way side and got back to posts of value only.

The badging, stars, post counts has no value, signicance......in my opinion, worthless.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you JCZ, and I really mean that. Not just another post.

I too believe the number count gets out of control for the wrong reasons.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if instead of posting post counts and/or stars/badges the number of Likes and/or Thanks were listed instead?

Not sure I care either way since I generally look at the content and decide whether the person's input is worth the number of stars. For frequent users of a forum it is readily apparent who is in it for the recognition and who is in it to help and learn.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if we stopped counting entirely and instead concentrated on helping others and learning ourselves.

I am firmly with @JCZhome on this one I have been involved in large communities for many years and almost all have virtually eliminated ranking their participants. That process in and of itself has a definite tendency to reduce post-count players.

On another site I frequent, the users decided that they didn't even want Sponsors called out. Many, myself included, would prefer to keep our donations private.
    Last edited by JColeman; 08-24-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of the private forums I’m on actually waves my VIP membership dues because of the fact that I’m so active there and spend so much time helping other members.
    It’s nice to be recognized for your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
    There are two things going on here:

1. Member titles (they display just under your username) and include
    New Member, Member and Senior Member.
    These are based on post count and there has been no change to these titles.
    "Senior Members" have reached 100 posts.

2. Site Sponsor. These are folks who have paid an small annual fee to help keep the forum online. They see no ads, have no image upload or message storage restrictions and have full forum access Recently long time sponsors also received a complimentary years access to Trip Wizard as well which is usually a $39.00 annual cost.
    The text above is incorrect.
    I see Traveldawg and Vonzoog above that have 500 or 600 posts that are listed as "Site Sponsor".
    JC has 1,463 posts and is also listed as a site sponsor.
    Yet I'm listed as a "Senior Member" even though I have been a site sponsor for over 2 years.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 10-31-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text above is incorrect.
    I see Traveldawg and Vonzoog above that have 500 or 600 posts that are listed as "Site Sponsor".
    JC has 1,463 posts and is also listed as a site sponsor.
    Yet I'm listed as a "Senior Member" even though I have been a site sponsor for over 2 years.
    The senior member text is based entirely on post count. It is superseded in the postbit display by the sponsor badge - they can't both display (not enough room). Yours had expired but I manually adjusted your account to return the display.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast